2018 Roster Discussion

Lewis has to want to be here long term
Wait, Jack can want to go to England, but Lewis can’t have his sights set on a step up?

Or are you saying he wants to move to another club in MLS? I can’t imagine why/where, unless it’s ATL.

Reactions: Ulrich
Wait, Jack can want to go to England, but Lewis can’t have his sights set on a step up?

Or are you saying he wants to move to another club in MLS? I can’t imagine why/where, unless it’s ATL.
I think he was explaining his two way street comment. JLew has to want to be here if City wants to keep him here long term.

I think he was explaining his two way street comment. JLew has to want to be here if City wants to keep him here long term.
I guess. I think my question is still one worth asking. Why such a different approach between two very similarly positioned players?

A 3-5-1. Going against a 4-4-3.

At least if his assist to Piatti is any indication.

The Mata situation has a chance to be incredibly frustrating if his offensive woes continue. We are still playing an unbalanced formation to allow Mata to go forward at will with cover in behind him. Wallace and Herrera both spent time hanging back to cover the hole an attacking Mata creates. This is fine when Mata is producing on offense the the way he did as a LW sub towards the end of the season last year. It is not okay when he's spending his time on offense sending 80% of his passes directly to players on the other team the way he did in the Montreal game. Let's just hope it was offseason rust.

The Mata situation has a chance to be incredibly frustrating if his offensive woes continue. We are still playing an unbalanced formation to allow Mata to go forward at will with cover in behind him. Wallace and Herrera both spent time hanging back to cover the hole an attacking Mata creates. This is fine when Mata is producing on offense the the way he did as a LW sub towards the end of the season last year. It is not okay when he's spending his time on offense sending 80% of his passes directly to players on the other team the way he did in the Montreal game. Let's just hope it was offseason rust.
This is right. I have been saying since I first saw him chasing butterflies, that he is one of the worst defenders in the league. He hasn't improved defensively at all and, in fact, has made (or contributed to) the two most important defensive blunders in our team's history (both by giving up on the play, which is even worse than the lack of ability). With that said, he has got great dash, and can be dangerous going forward, so we may be able to overlook his defensive shortcomings when he is on and creates net upside. At his best, he is a gamechanger, and makes other players more dangerous as well. But, as you said, when he is not, it's a massive blow. I am not a big fan, but I am hopeful that he finds a way to make me one.

While Mata may be a pretty bad defender his 1 V. 1 tackling can be very good at times. Although yes that comes down to when he is actually in a defending position to make those plays.

Reactions: Gotham Gator