2021 Roster Discussion

Ah, gotcha, sorry. The second post makes it sound like you're saying we need a defensive overhaul which the numbers suggest we don't. But yeah, I agree with that. Morales could have been that sort of hit, but he's been more than disappointing. If he worked, he could have been better than tinnerholm. Maybe he'll improve going forward, because if he does he could be a nice plug in DM.
All good. I like getting pushback and feedback. I've actually learned a bunch on this forum. Hard to tell but you know...
I really miss weekly Outfield posts on here. That's one of the biggest downsides of this season.

Towards the beginning Tinnerholm and Heber are talking and he asks hiim how long it's been, Tinnerholm says: "third week, four months to go..."
That would be around March, and that would probably be rehab starting. We might see Anton back after the first few games of next season?

we are missing a leader period. johnson is not a captain. ring was a great captain and he lead by example. the fire was always there. johnson seems to clam up when shit gets real. where's his fire? I don't ever see him screaming to pump the guys up or calm them down. and we shipped ring out and replaced him with morales who is about as effective on the field as a lady bug. if he never sees the field again til his contract expires, i'll be a happy camper. play gideon or rocha in his place if we need the rotation.

we are also missing a coach who can put it all together like S sabertooth36 said. ronny has no clue. no plan. no consistent lineups. he rotates but doesn't seem to do it with any thought. even the best players in the world need some consistency around them so they can develop rhythm and chemistry.
To be fair, Johnson is much better than Ring at appealing for offsides when there was none.

Towards the beginning Tinnerholm and Heber are talking and he asks hiim how long it's been, Tinnerholm says: "third week, four months to go..."
That would be around March, and that would probably be rehab starting. We might see Anton back after the first few games of next season?
Who is the player at 6:10? Likely an academy player, but haven't seen the face before...

All good. I like getting pushback and feedback. I've actually learned a bunch on this forum. Hard to tell but you know...
I really miss weekly Outfield posts on here. That's one of the biggest downsides of this season.
We were really hoping to post a lot more this year and it's been a much busier year for a lot of us personally.

We have a few post ideas that are being kicked around at the moment. I have a few in mind myself but it won't be until the season is over before those get worked on as I'm getting married the day before decision day.

Likely includes physical therapy time. 4 months until he can run normally again is about right for an Achilles rupture
There's a great Reddit post on Laurent Koscielny's ruptured achilles from 2018 that goes into great detail about what a rupture is, the degrees of severity, and an estimated timeline. Looks like about 6 months to resume play is about normal, which would put him at around April/early May to return. That's not bad at all. Hope he can make a full recovery!

We were really hoping to post a lot more this year and it's been a much busier year for a lot of us personally.

We have a few post ideas that are being kicked around at the moment. I have a few in mind myself but it won't be until the season is over before those get worked on as I'm getting married the day before decision day.
Hey. Early congratulations!
Looking forward to the Outfield content when it comes. It really added to my first full year as a NYCFC fan (the 2019 Dome year). Here’s to you, all the outfield contributors and the NYCFC in their push to make the playoffs!

I would think a ruptured Achilles is like at least a 9-month rehab. Maybe 4 months before he can start activity, but it'll be a while before he's ready for game action, I would think.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
The Alfredo Morales effect through 31 Games:

When Alfredo Morales plays at least 45 minutes in a game, NYCFC earns 1.65 PPG (17 games).
When he plays less or sits out, NYCFC earns 1.14 PPG (14 games).

Putting aside that we're unlikely to buy anyone out, it would be preposterous to buy out someone with this record.

Last edited:

When Alfredo Morales plays at least 45 minutes in a game, NYCFC earns 1.65 PPG (17 games).

Putting aside that we're unlikely to buy anyone out, it would be preposterous to buy out someone with this record.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or serious

While Alfredo hasn’t been great, it’s been pretty clear that the slide the team was on was due more to the play of the wingers and maxi and not due to the defensive midfield.

While Alfredo hasn’t been great, it’s been pretty clear that the slide the team was on was due more to the play of the wingers and maxi and not due to the defensive midfield.
I’m also not claiming he’s been great. But even if buyouts were unlimited, they should be reserved for negatively disruptive players. Guys you just can’t succeed with. Morales is clearly not in that category. Maybe he only plays against weaker teams. Maybe he only plays when our best back line is in place. I didn’t control for any of that. Maybe he’s subject to some sort of compensation effect where everyone plays better because they know that they have to makeup for his failings. I mean that sounds stupid but I can't rule it out. But the bottom line is we can and do succeed when he plays. Whenever a rising young player (or coach) wants to leave inevitably someone says in the long run you have to let players go in order to sign more good players in the future. Fine. I mean, it's the kind of boring conventional wisdom that doesn't need to be said as often as it is, but fine. But you also need to sign solid cheap and mid-range and veteran and coming back from Europe players, and if you cut them after one year because you decided you paid them too much and tell the world you would rather pay them to leave than have them on the roster, even though you win more when they play than when they don't? Someone is going to notice. Word will get out. You can't do that.

And I'm tired of the casual and repeated expressions of disdain and contempt, which are often wrong.

When Tommy McNamara left, some NYCFC fans still loved him, but a sizable contingent was not just happy to see him leave, but obnoxious about it. We had people repeating stupid nicknames about how fat, slow, and useless he was. And so far this year he has played in every game but one and about 66% of the minutes for a team that just won Supporters Shield and might set an MLS record for points in a season. He's not the primary driver at all. I'm not even slightly regretful that we let him go. But he's a useful player on a great team and all those obnoxious comments just look even more ridiculous in retrospect.

Eric Miller left here with basically no fans, and a lot of vitriol. I won't claim I saw something in him that others didn't. He was never anywhere near as good as even T-Mac ever was. Again I have no regrets about letting him go. But he's played more than 30% of available minutes on the back line of the team that leads the league in fewest goals allowed. Of course, that's 85% because of Walker Zimmerman and maybe 0.5% due to Eric Miller. Maybe Miller will be even be cut in the off-season. But for now in 2021 the coach keeps putting him in and the defense gets the job done so maybe he isn't as dogsh!t as people said.

I'm not against criticizing players. But when people turn on one of them and decide he's not up to par, it gets vicious and often just wrong and completely blown beyond reality. And it's tiresome.

Yes. The repetition of such extreme negativity, especially when it's wrong, is tiresome. Every game chat lately, if Morales is in the lineup someone says it's a guaranteed loss. If one person forgets to say it, someone else chimes in. Clockwork. Well guess what. That's pretty much the opposite of true. Maybe Morales is just lucky, but we win more when he plays than when he doesn't. So maybe look at that and think and come up with a reason that actually adds to the conversation, that isn't just the same repetitive blah blah that everyone copies and becomes groupthink. Maybe you* can find some common element in the games he plays that causes the team to do better despite his shortcomings. That would actually be interesting if you did that, instead of just assuming and constantly repeating that the team does worse when he plays because someone else said it and people agreed, so it's safe. Because it isn't even accurate. Maybe use some thought, and checking, and generate fresh content and show some creativity. But instead we had a half dozen people saying we should buy him out this week. Just like we've had a half dozen or more people all repeating various other things this season that I checked and found just were not true.

Yes. I'm getting kind of burnt out with the forums.

* Not you SoupInNYC SoupInNYC - you add more original thought than almost anyone here.

I’m also not claiming he’s been great. But even if buyouts were unlimited, they should be reserved for negatively disruptive players. Guys you just can’t succeed with. Morales is clearly not in that category. Maybe he only plays against weaker teams. Maybe he only plays when our best back line is in place. I didn’t control for any of that. Maybe he’s subject to some sort of compensation effect where everyone plays better because they know that they have to makeup for his failings. I mean that sounds stupid but I can't rule it out. But the bottom line is we can and do succeed when he plays. Whenever a rising young player (or coach) wants to leave inevitably someone says in the long run you have to let players go in order to sign more good players in the future. Fine. I mean, it's the kind of boring conventional wisdom that doesn't need to be said as often as it is, but fine. But you also need to sign solid cheap and mid-range and veteran and coming back from Europe players, and if you cut them after one year because you decided you paid them too much and tell the world you would rather pay them to leave than have them on the roster, even though you win more when they play than when they don't? Someone is going to notice. Word will get out. You can't do that.

And I'm tired of the casual and repeated expressions of disdain and contempt, which are often wrong.

When Tommy McNamara left, some NYCFC fans still loved him, but a sizable contingent was not just happy to see him leave, but obnoxious about it. We had people repeating stupid nicknames about how fat, slow, and useless he was. And so far this year he has played in every game but one and about 66% of the minutes for a team that just won Supporters Shield and might set an MLS record for points in a season. He's not the primary driver at all. I'm not even slightly regretful that we let him go. But he's a useful player on a great team and all those obnoxious comments just look even more ridiculous in retrospect.

Eric Miller left here with basically no fans, and a lot of vitriol. I won't claim I saw something in him that others didn't. He was never anywhere near as good as even T-Mac ever was. Again I have no regrets about letting him go. But he's played more than 30% of available minutes on the back line of the team that leads the league in fewest goals allowed. Of course, that's 85% because of Walker Zimmerman and maybe 0.5% due to Eric Miller. Maybe Miller will be even be cut in the off-season. But for now in 2021 the coach keeps putting him in and the defense gets the job done so maybe he isn't as dogsh!t as people said.

I'm not against criticizing players. But when people turn on one of them and decide he's not up to par, it gets vicious and often just wrong and completely blown beyond reality. And it's tiresome.

Yes. The repetition of such extreme negativity, especially when it's wrong, is tiresome. Every game chat lately, if Morales is in the lineup someone says it's a guaranteed loss. If one person forgets to say it, someone else chimes in. Clockwork. Well guess what. That's pretty much the opposite of true. Maybe Morales is just lucky, but we win more when he plays than when he doesn't. So maybe look at that and think and come up with a reason that actually adds to the conversation, that isn't just the same repetitive blah blah that everyone copies and becomes groupthink. Maybe you* can find some common element in the games he plays that causes the team to do better despite his shortcomings. That would actually be interesting if you did that, instead of just assuming and constantly repeating that the team does worse when he plays because someone else said it and people agreed, so it's safe. Because it isn't even accurate. Maybe use some thought, and checking, and generate fresh content and show some creativity. But instead we had a half dozen people saying we should buy him out this week. Just like we've had a half dozen or more people all repeating various other things this season that I checked and found just were not true.

Yes. I'm getting kind of burnt out with the forums.

* Not you SoupInNYC SoupInNYC - you add more original thought than almost anyone here.

So true with all of this. There is so much negativity here and throughout the fanbase. It's a little much. We can be angry with the administration of the team while still appreciative that for the sixth straight season they have put a generally quality and entertaining product on the field, slumps notwithstanding.

So true with all of this. There is so much negativity here and throughout the fanbase. It's a little much. We can be angry with the administration of the team while still appreciative that for the sixth straight season they have put a generally quality and entertaining product on the field, slumps notwithstanding.

Those 500 minutes without a goal we’re entertaining? What about the “home” games in New Jersey? Or none of our pricey acquisitions panning out?

Color me not entertained.

And also - they’re supposed to win. Winning is entertaining.

Reactions: canchon and LionNYC