2021 Roster Discussion

A few weeks ago I said I didn’t even blame Ronny anymore. David Lee is a clown.

Reactions: LionNYC
Alfredo Morales getting 600k a week, when the season started I'd have said "wow that's a good deal", but now after seeing him play for a few months I feel he should be more on like 200 or 300k. Unless he dramatically improves, I don't see him justifying such a crazy salary.
Only 2 more years on the Fredo contract.

• Angry
Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
Only 2 more years on the Fredo contract.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kjbert
When you look at the numbers, Parks is massively underpaid and Alfredo and Medina are grossly overpaid. Maxi too, but that´s a feature of his extension. As to this season, the only 2 players clearly improved are Taty and Parks, who should be part of our core for the next few seasons along with Sands, Tinnerholm and Callens, for how long we can keep all of them together. Santi I´m not sold on. He loses the ball a lot, but fortunately high on the pitch. Jasson I have some hope for, and Gideon´s and Magno´s play yesterday was promising. Zelalem in particular has a lot of talent and for all the setbacks in his career he doesn´t play shy. On the contrary, he plays with panache as if he still was a promising starlet and not an almost has-been. It is intriguing.

It's very standard for multi-year contracts to escalate salaries over time in salary-capped leagues, including MLS. The expectation is that the cap will go up every year. Covid disrupted this expectation and was one of the reasons given for selling Ring and Matarrita: it was harder to afford all our salaries for players on multi-year contracts because the 2021 cap was not what everyone expected it to be.

Being a DP, Medina I think would only be affected by this if we had bought him down. The higher his salary in relation to the cap, the more expensive the buy down becomes in terms of GAM/TAM. But I'm not surprised by the progression of his salary over 4 years and while it could reflect a renegotiation or extension, I don't think that's necessarily the case. But given the very special relationship between this club and secrecy, we won't know until sometime between this season end and 2022 start.

This is definitely true, and maybe the increase for Medina is an escalation from the original deal. It would just be an awfully big escalation ($750K to $1,050K)

If Medina’s contract is over after this year Fredo should be the buyout candidate.

Totally agree, unfortunately, I can't remember the last time we actually used the buyout roster mechanism.

In May, NYCFC had the 10th most expensive roster at 12.99 million.
Now, based on the September data, it has the 6th most expensive roster at $15.16 million. Magno and Santi alone added about 1.8M to the roster salary cost.

Teams ahead of us are, in order, the Galaxy (1.5PPG), Atlanta (1.43), Toronto (0.83), Miami(1.17), and LAFC (1.33).

For contrast the Revs (2.23) rank 20, Nashville (1.63) 12, Seattle (1.93) 9, Philly (1.53) 25, Orlando (1.53) 19, SKC (1.79) 8 and Colorado (1.73) ranks 27th. When Torrent quit after 2019 he said, among his reasons, was that the club wouldn't spend, based basically on this ranking. This forum spent a lot of energy debating that.

Despite how upside down it seems this year, obviously money can help. But lol Toronto, Miami, New England, and Colorado especially are making it look silly right now.

I also never thought this was a useful metric even to measure a club's willingness to spend. It ignores acquisition fees, and does not account for the varied GAM/TAM Garber bucks, which mostly do not affect a team's bottom line.

Also, we probably need to ignore the discussion we just had trying to analyze salary changes year to year. FTA:
"While this salary data is the only publicly-available information regarding MLS player compensation, the formula the MLSPA uses for guaranteed compensation does not give a perfectly accurate indication of what a player is making this season. Because of the way the MLSPA annualizes bonuses across the total years of a contract to get guaranteed compensation, a salary may be higher or lower than listed in any given year across the life of the contract."​

As usual with MLS, the unknown unknowns are what get you.

Also, we probably need to ignore the discussion we just had trying to analyze salary changes year to year. FTA:
"While this salary data is the only publicly-available information regarding MLS player compensation, the formula the MLSPA uses for guaranteed compensation does not give a perfectly accurate indication of what a player is making this season. Because of the way the MLSPA annualizes bonuses across the total years of a contract to get guaranteed compensation, a salary may be higher or lower than listed in any given year across the life of the contract."​

As usual with MLS, the unknown unknowns are what get you.
Yeah, see Inter Miami budget scandal

Reactions: mgarbowski
I think Parks is back to Europe after this season.
That thought makes me think that this team, really any team in MLS, needs to balance developing players, bringing in players that are developing and bringing in players that are fully developed. It looks like the Revs have it just right this season. If we think that Sands, Parks, Magno, Thiago, are players that may be bound for bigger leagues we need to spend money not just on the Magno's of the world but the Bou and Gils. Otherwise it seems like you are not really going to be competing for a championship as your best players are always looking elsewhere. NYCFC maybe tried to kind of do this having Maxi and Mitrita and Medina but it just didn't work out.

That thought makes me think that this team, really any team in MLS, needs to balance developing players, bringing in players that are developing and bringing in players that are fully developed. It looks like the Revs have it just right this season. If we think that Sands, Parks, Magno, Thiago, are players that may be bound for bigger leagues we need to spend money not just on the Magno's of the world but the Bou and Gils. Otherwise it seems like you are not really going to be competing for a championship as your best players are always looking elsewhere. NYCFC maybe tried to kind of do this having Maxi and Mitrita and Medina but it just didn't work out.
I think we do have that balance with Maxi, Sean Johnson, Chanot, Callens, Heber, Tinnerholm, etc.

New England also has guys that are looking to move overseas like Tajon Buchanan (who is already sold), Buksa, and Turner.

They're just a better team.

I think we do have that balance with Maxi, Sean Johnson, Chanot, Callens, Heber, Tinnerholm, etc.

New England also has guys that are looking to move overseas like Tajon Buchanan (who is already sold), Buksa, and Turner.

CFG should have hired Bruce Arena two years ago. They wouldn’t have because they went down that route once and got burned. But mls is a different animal than Europe or South America.

I was just typing out something similar. Chanot, Callens, and Tinnerholm are exactly the type of players we are talking about and have given us the advantage of a stable top 3 MLS backline for multiple years. In the midfield, you could probably also include Morales as an attempt at getting another fully developed player with a very solid background that just hasn't worked out.