2021 Roster Discussion

It's a lot harder to rotate in a 22 game season than in a 34 game season, to be fair to Deila there.

to reiterate Fred... how?

because there are less games to grab a playoff spot so you want to ensure you win? I would argue overplaying your players makes our overall quality worse than rotating a few to keep our starters as fresh as possible.

Reactions: Kjbert
to reiterate Fred... how?

because there are less games to grab a playoff spot so you want to ensure you win? I would argue overplaying your players makes our overall quality worse than rotating a few to keep our starters as fresh as possible.

Because when you start 0-5-1 normally you have 29 games to catch up. But Deila had just 17 games left at that point, and 4 of his best players missed 35-50% of those 17 games. Didn't I just explain this and you responded? It's fine to disagree but I don't see how it's unclear.

Because when you start 0-5-1 normally you have 29 games to catch up. But Deila had just 17 games left at that point, and 4 of his best players missed 35-50% of those 17 games. Didn't I just explain this and you responded? It's fine to disagree but I don't see how it's unclear.

i agreed with your post that one season is not indicative of being a manager who does not rotate ever. but i don't think having a shorter season makes it harder to rotate when you have good players off the bench. he may have had his reasons for not rotating, but personally, i think he could have rotated players. i think most of us were all calling for him to make more subs and better subs instead of his usual 88th minute ones and to rotate players last year.

I don't think it is so objectively difficult to rotate with less games.

I think Deila screwed up by not rotating last year, but I don't think we can say that's typical for him or predict he'll do the same going forward. Last year was so weird and unique. Besides the covid break, and the odd schedule, the team started 1-5-0 with just 2 goals in the first 6 games. Then Maxi goes out for 7 games, Heber for 10, Sands for 6 and Mitrita leaves with 8 left just as he started clicking and probably would have gotten more minutes with Maxi and Heber hurt. I think Deila kind of freaked out, and felt he had to just keep the gas pedal down with his best remaining players all the time. I'm not defending him by pointing this out. He burned some guys out. But I do think it's not predictive of how he normally will operate. Of course the 2021 roster is creating its own challenges. Not sure how he'll react if we're 3-8-2 before new players arrive and the first half players are burned out for reasons not of his doing.

Also, when he came, there were a lot of Celtic fans on twitter and such giving us all sorts of reports. Mostly they liked him personally and were kind of split on his coaching ability, but I don't remember once hearing that he ran his players ragged by failing to rotate, failing to make substitutions, etc. I think he just made some bad decisions under hopefully never-to-be-repeated conditions.

I got the same impression.....that with the number of injuries and who was going down, that led Deila to worry that he wouldn't get a second season they didn't finish strong. Not really a good look for either him or the FO, and hopefully they have communicated better this season because he might feel the same pressure this season to even make it to when reinforcements arrive.

Reactions: mgarbowski
i agreed with your post that one season is not indicative of being a manager who does not rotate ever. but i don't think having a shorter season makes it harder to rotate when you have good players off the bench. he may have had his reasons for not rotating, but personally, i think he could have rotated players. i think most of us were all calling for him to make more subs and better subs instead of his usual 88th minute ones and to rotate players last year.

I don't think it is so objectively difficult to rotate with less games.

His substitution patterns were absolutely odd, I will definitely agree with you on that aspect.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
Because every game means so much. They needed the points. Especially after starting 1-5-0.
Then you don't believe in the value of rotation that rotation has short-term benefits, i.e. sit a guy midweek so he's fresh on Saturday?

Reactions: Shwafta
Then you don't believe in the value of rotation that rotation has short-term benefits, i.e. sit a guy midweek so he's fresh on Saturday?

Personally I do. But the team was winning every game down the stretch, so clearly they were doing something right.

I thought Jasson and Gray looked ready for minutes during the first scrimmage. Gray looked very impressive to me from his past showings. Better strength and better footwork. Some real good hustle out of the rest of the bunch of young guns, but they mostly looked like what they are....kids playing against pros.

I like other teams playing press against us in pre-season. We see a lot of it in big matchups in the regular season so it's best to have them getting used to it now.

Reactions: Sabo and Kjbert
strange trade if true. but also an indication that the club does not have much faith in Gudi. Malte is a left back and so is this kid. how bout a right back FO?

strange trade if true. but also an indication that the club does not have much faith in Gudi. Malte is a left back and so is this kid. how bout a right back FO?

Tayvon? looks like Roni is trying him out there.

Tayvon? looks like Roni is trying him out there.

True. He's naturally a CB but he showed potential as a RB. i wouldn't mind if that became his new position and served as Anton's backup. He's got pace and defensive abilities even if his attacking threat isn't as strong, as a backup, being good on the defensive side is more important.

Club seems to be thinking Malte as a starter with this gloster kid as a backup or vice versa. Gudi out the door in 2022?

True. He's naturally a CB but he showed potential as a RB. i wouldn't mind if that became his new position and served as Anton's backup. He's got pace and defensive abilities even if his attacking threat isn't as strong, as a backup, being good on the defensive side is more important.

Club seems to be thinking Malte as a starter with this gloster kid as a backup or vice versa. Gudi out the door in 2022?

Gudi should be out in 2021 with his performances, its just not working with him.

Reactions: moogoo and Shwafta

Official

i dont know if its official, it just mentions they working to get his rights. not until its reported how much GAM was given up for him etc will it be official.

EDIT: im more surprised at people saying "another LB?? what is FO doing?" on twitter. Gudi sucks and we dont know if the new guy is good or not yet. This is a position that been up for debate even in the Mata years. having a couple of options is not bad.

i dont know if its official, it just mentions they working to get his rights. not until its reported how much GAM was given up for him etc will it be official.

EDIT: im more surprised at people saying "another LB?? what is FO doing?" on twitter. Gudi sucks and we dont know if the new guy is good or not yet. This is a position that been up for debate even in the Mata years. having a couple of options is not bad.
When i read it, I could have sworn it said done deal. REading it again, I see that's not the case, my bad. However that's a really bad title then, it should read "NYCFC looking to acquire MLS right for...." instead of "NYCFC acquire MLS rights for..."

When i read it, I could have sworn it said done deal. REading it again, I see that's not the case, my bad. However that's a really bad title then, it should read "NYCFC looking to acquire MLS right for...." instead of "NYCFC acquire MLS rights for..."

its MLS, they want the clicks

Either Gudi is planning his move back to Europe, or Ronny prefers to use him further up field. I think he has more experience playing as a left winger than he does at LB.