2021 Roster Discussion

This is good. Let's just keep generating news stories about all the left backs: signing them but not actually bringing them to America, maybe signing them, possibly acquiring MLS rights, showing interest, except perhaps for Girona.

Meanwhile, Gudi sitting here all by his lonesome, and it's not like we need any players besides a left back.

Oh wait, we do.

Or, and this seems like the most likely scenario, they are not focusing on one thing at a time but rather have multiple balls in the air at the same time, and the order we are learning about these rumors is purely coincidental.

Reactions: Kjbert
malte is supposed to arrive pending his visa and ITC. Visa premium processing can take up to 15 days and ITC processing can take up to 30 days. If there is any delay, then it seems ITC is what's holding it up or some other matter unrelated to these two things. I would probably lean toward the latter since those timelines are worst case scenario and other players have been showing up to training before malte. i would guess he has a personal issue the club is accommodating but hoping he shows up soon so he can get his legs before season opener.

haven't even seen this kid play yet, but i am so down on gudi, my gut feeling at this moment is i'd prefer he started over gudi, even if he showed up on opening day.

Or, and this seems like the most likely scenario, they are not focusing on one thing at a time but rather have multiple balls in the air at the same time, and the order we are learning about these rumors is purely coincidental.
For the record, I don't actually believe the club is only pursuing left backs.

I can't believe I had to write that.

For the record, I don't actually believe the club is only pursuing left backs.

I can't believe I had to write that.
All we want is a team of left backs, A team of left backs, A team of left backs,
All we want is a team of left backs, A team of left backs, A team of left backs,
Number 1 is left back, Number 2 is left back, Number 3 is left back, Number 4 is left back, Number 5 is left back, Number 6 is left back, Number 7 is left back, Number 8 is left back, Number 9 is left back, Number 10 is left back, Number 11 is left back!

No. Just pointed out other teams not having this problem. As for our history, Heber signed on March 21 and was in a game 16 days later. Something is off. He's most likely coming. Saying otherwise was a joke. But either he was given an accomodation, or the team screwed up the application, or he's on some Interpol list, or something.
I thought I had remembered Gudi took a while to get here, and just spent some time tracking down those details. While it did take some time for him to arrive with the team, it wasn't nearly as long as it's taking for Amundsen.

Gudi - signing announced 1/28/20 (https://www.nycfc.com/players/96/gudmundur-thorarinsson)
Gudi - arrived at practice 2/16/20 (https://www.nycfc.com/post/2020/02/16/inside-training-gudi-arrives-0)
19 days elapsed

Amundsen - signing announced 2/12/21 (https://www.nycfc.com/post/2021/02/...-defender-malte-amundsen-danish-club-vejle-bk)
44 days have since elapsed

Sure, COVID has probably delayed Amundsen to some degree (maayyyybbbbeee a week tops) that didn't impact Gudi (too early in 2020), but there's no way it should be impacting it this much.

I thought I had remembered Gudi took a while to get here, and just spent some time tracking down those details. While it did take some time for him to arrive with the team, it wasn't nearly as long as it's taking for Amundsen.

Gudi - signing announced 1/28/20 (https://www.nycfc.com/players/96/gudmundur-thorarinsson)
Gudi - arrived at practice 2/16/20 (https://www.nycfc.com/post/2020/02/16/inside-training-gudi-arrives-0)
19 days elapsed

Amundsen - signing announced 2/12/21 (https://www.nycfc.com/post/2021/02/...-defender-malte-amundsen-danish-club-vejle-bk)
44 days have since elapsed

Sure, COVID has probably delayed Amundsen to some degree (maayyyybbbbeee a week tops) that didn't impact Gudi (too early in 2020), but there's no way it should be impacting it this much.

gudi was before everything shut down though. the only sort of equal comparison would be signings from other teams at around the same time Amundsen was announced and see how long it took to get here.

Reactions: ZYanksRule
gudi was before everything shut down though. the only sort of equal comparison would be signings from other teams at around the same time Amundsen was announced and see how long it took to get here.

Mark did a nice example of this in the last page:

Tomas Pochettino signed with Austin February 11 one day before Amundsen and has been with them more than a week.
Ronald Hernandez signed a loan deal to Atlanta on February 18 -- six days after Amundsen, and has been here since at least March 7.

Again, it could be something fully innocuous or personal that we have no right or need to know. But it's something.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I realize that, but that has already been done by mgarbowski mgarbowski

I was looking at this from an "internal clock" perspective. When things are taking time and impacting your team, it always seems like it takes longer than it really does. I remembered that it seemed like it took a while for Gudi to get here after his signing was announced. It's clear that Amundsen is taking materially longer (more than double).

And yes, Gudi was done before everything shut down (as I also noted in my post), but Amundsen shouldn't be too affected by it. It's March, cases are on the decline, and the working world has figured out how to operate in the current environment. Had this been last April or May, would be a lot different. Hence why I said that maybe COVID has delayed Amundsen by a week. But that was mostly from a conservative standpoint because at this point, things shouldn't be slowed down by that much due to COVID.

I realize that, but that has already been done by mgarbowski mgarbowski

I was looking at this from an "internal clock" perspective. When things are taking time and impacting your team, it always seems like it takes longer than it really does. I remembered that it seemed like it took a while for Gudi to get here after his signing was announced. It's clear that Amundsen is taking materially longer (more than double).

And yes, Gudi was done before everything shut down (as I also noted in my post), but Amundsen shouldn't be too affected by it. It's March, cases are on the decline, and the working world has figured out how to operate in the current environment. Had this been last April or May, would be a lot different. Hence why I said that maybe COVID has delayed Amundsen by a week. But that was mostly from a conservative standpoint because at this point, things shouldn't be slowed down by that much due to COVID.

i guess it depends on the dept. I know relative that is renewing their permanent resident green card and they got a letter this month giving an extension of an extra year of validity to their expiring green card as they try and catch up in cases, normally within 6 months its all complete. So there are delays still, of course we dont know if/when paper work was submitted for Aumundsen.

Good news everyone! Based on inside training video, I'm sure you're all excited and happy to know that Zelalem has joined the team for full training.

that's right. he'll be ready to injure himself in one of the next preseason matches. I'm gonna say vs. hartford (our final preseason match).

Good news everyone! Based on inside training video, I'm sure you're all excited and happy to know that Zelalem has joined the team for full training.

that's right. he'll be ready to injure himself in one of the next preseason matches. I'm gonna say vs. hartford (our final preseason match).
Now now, let's give the man a chance!

On an elliptical? Thats just embarrassing. My guess is it will be playing ping pong in the dressing room.

Broken coccyx while squeezing out a turd. After 3rd pre-season match.

Reactions: moogoo
Number 1 is left back, Number 2 is left back, Number 3 is left back, Number 4 is left back, Number 5 is left back, Number 6 is left back, Number 7 is left back, Number 8 is left back, Number 9 is left back, Number 10 is left back, Number 11 is left back!

“Anyone can play left back” - Klinsmann

Gloster deal reported as done by Dutch newspaper.

ETA don't know why the usual article preview isn't working. the machine translation begins:
PSV sells defender Chris Gloster to club from New York
PSV has sold 20-year-old American left back Chris Gloster to New York City FC, a club that plays at the highest level in the United States. This is confirmed by his management. The defender trained at the beginning of this season with the A-selection of Roger Schmidt, but it did not come to a breakthrough.

Last edited: