2021 Roster Discussion

If Lee and Deila think this team can tread water for long enough before the summer transfer window to sign more attackers, they don't know what they're doing.

Not saying I disagree with you, but they only have seven games between now and June 19. So if they are able to bring players over after the European season ends, those additions will play a whole lot of games down the stretch.

Reactions: Kjbert
If they are willing to let Taty go, it must be a very good deal and they must need the money for some bigger summer signings.

They also might be banking on Thiago being the striker savior until Heber returns.

For me this is about the player. If he wants to go, if he thinks this is a good move for his future, it would be selfish and bad business to cling onto him. We need to be known as a place willing to sell. That's how we continue to get good young players to come here, is if we can show examples that we are willing to sell players on.

It will suck in terms of what it will do to the first 2 months of the season, but it's smart long-term business to sell him if he wants to go.

For me this is about the player. If he wants to go, if he thinks this is a good move for his future, it would be selfish and bad business to cling onto him. We need to be known as a place willing to sell. That's how we continue to get good young players to come here, is if we can show examples that we are willing to sell players on.

It will suck in terms of what it will do to the first 2 months of the season, but it's smart long-term business to sell him if he wants to go.

club has definitely shown they want to make the player happy. so as you said, this will probably be up to taty. It will be difficult for taty to say no to such a big team as palmeiras and playing in one of the biggest soccer competitions in the world... but if his aspirations is to go to europe, will he get more exposure in MLS or in brasil? That's a tough call.

Would love for him to stay, but I wish him the best if he wants to go. We will be fine. Medina's got this.

For me this is about the player. If he wants to go, if he thinks this is a good move for his future, it would be selfish and bad business to cling onto him
Lol the season starts in 2 days and we have nobody else who plays his position until Andrade shows up and who knows if he is fit. It’s amazing to me how far people will push the ethos that players get whatever they want wherever they want no matter what.

That said, I do appreciate soccer chaos and kind of want to see the club play a few games without a single center forward on the roster.

Lol the season starts in 2 days and we have nobody else who plays his position until Andrade shows up and who knows if he is fit. It’s amazing to me how far people will push the ethos that players get whatever they want wherever they want no matter what.

That said, I do appreciate soccer chaos and kind of want to see the club play a few games without a single center forward on the roster.
I still firmly believe we used Taty wrong. He's a winger, not a striker. Him + Heber was such a lethal partnership. Wish we had explored that more while heber was healthy, but instead Deila used the Taty for Heber sub tactic. meh.

I still firmly believe we used Taty wrong. He's a winger, not a striker. Him + Heber was such a lethal partnership. Wish we had explored that more while heber was healthy, but instead Deila used the Taty for Heber sub tactic. meh.
I agree. He isn’t even a true solo CF. We don’t have one even if he stays. He’s able to pretend to an extent, but but this is why I’m kind of ok with letting him go.

Last edited:

That's my point -- it will harm us in the short term to lose Taty if he really is leaving, but it will help us in the long-term because more young players will want to come here knowing that we are willing to sell players, even at inopportune times. This is a selling league -- we've all accepted that James Sands won't be here much longer. Have we all internalized that the most likely scenario is for him to move in a summer window? We have to be willing to move guys, even at times when it will suck in the short term.

That's my point -- it will harm us in the short term to lose Taty if he really is leaving, but it will help us in the long-term because more young players will want to come here knowing that we are willing to sell players, even at inopportune times. This is a selling league -- we've all accepted that James Sands won't be here much longer. Have we all internalized that the most likely scenario is for him to move in a summer window? We have to be willing to move guys, even at times when it will suck in the short term.
I think there is and should be a balance. Our blue print can still include selling players for a profit, and it does, and it will. But that doesn't mean the club should give all of the leverage to the player to determine when, how and where he wants to go regardless of the particular circumstances and how it would affect the club in real time. Rejecting a deal now in this case to avoid riding into the season with a bicycle missing a front wheel will not change the perception that we are a seller, nor should it.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Not sure how many here subscribe to Rory Smith's weekly newsletter, but it's quite good.

His letter today is titled "The Moral Case for Buying Erling Haaland". The theme is that clubs worldwide are suffering economically, so very few can afford to be buyers in the upcoming transfer market. This could lead to greatly depressed prices and more players on the market than there are clubs wanting to buy. If a big club (he starts with Man City) splashes $180 million or so on Haaland, that money will flow down and out from Dortmund and help grease the wheels.

The point for this thread is that there could be some really strong buys available this summer, which is one more reason to wait and splash the cash in June/July.

Do we really want to be known as a team that is willing to buy young players and sell them at inopportune times? That serves a purely financial end. Look at the great selling teams in Europe -- they all find a way (in the context of the leagues in which they play) to increase the value of their young players by having them succeed, not by having them show just enough promise to get bids while the club treads water.

Dortmund, Ajax, Porto, Atletico Madrid (before buying Felix) and others manage to balance being huge selling teams with great on-field success. That should be our goal.

Last edited:
Everyone knows that's the point. The question is whether there are any limiting factors. If you advocate selling your only player at Center Forward on the eve of your first game, then you say there is none. I reject that. And so do most teams. Teams tell players "we'll sell you but not yet" all the time. Sands is a terrible comparison. We have extra D-Mids. There's a quality drop, but a quality drop is completely different from having no replacement at all.

This is very much an extreme edge case. A combination of injuries, family hardship, a rebuild, a pandemic, a slow market and complicated salary budget rules have NYCFC really stuck in a bad spot. Taty scored more goals in 2019-20 than anyone on the team. If he goes, the team will be without the players who scored 64% of the goals in the last 2 years, with basically a pair of unproven 19-20 year olds the only replacements (one of them not yet even but hopefully soon, and Heber coming back some day).

Anyways, this from today seems to say things are still at the unaccepted new offer stage:

Last edited:
Agreed to a degree, and this is likely semantics, but I see Taty as a second striker and not really a winger, though he can play there, similar to how he can play as a lone center forward though he isn't truly one.

He's got some decent hold-up play and is good at making his runs in different spaces to continue to challenge the opposing center backs. And agreed with his partnership with Heber. Heber was great at dropping back in the buildup to help progress the attack. While Taty's hold-up play is decent, he's not great at finding runners. The balance between the two of them with Heber dropping into the midfield briefly and Taty looking to get in behind was fantastic at pulling the opposing backline out of shape.

I’m happy for him and it’s a fair fee to be honest.
But we don’t have a striker or any other proven goal scorer in this roster.
Even if we bring in Aguerro, the earliest realistic timetable for him would be early July.

I just want MLS/NYCFC to be at the level where players only leave for top euro league's. I want NYCFC to be a clearly better fit for a developing young high potential player that they don't even consider even the top tier SA clubs. I know we're not there yet, but that's why I'm not thrilled with this sale.

He was in Brazil for his rehab.

god were such a small club. The best hospital for athletic injuries in the world and the best PT in the world is located in New York. And we send this guy to Brazil.