2021 Roster Discussion

How do you go from "$12m flops" to "most talented" in the course of one match? Or am I missing something

Talles Magno looks to be not ready for this level of competition.
andrade does.

the coming off the bench part
I guess, though I thought that was more of a preference of mine rather than a take. I also included it with the context that others win the winger jobs so that Thiago could come off the bench. That would basically mean that others are performing very highly so that we could have a Thiago come off the bench.

Talles Magno looks to be not ready for this level of competition.
andrade does.
Isn't that as expected though? Magno was projected to be a high upside multi-year project with limited immediate impact. At least that's what I gathered from the reporting on him. Im sure the club didn't say that straight up, but Andrade was the guy for this year.

Reactions: Kjbert and Vallos
Isn't that as expected though? Magno was projected to be a high upside multi-year project with limited immediate impact. At least that's what I gathered from the reporting on him. Im sure the club didn't say that straight up, but Andrade was the guy for this year.
I thought it was the other way around, but honestly don't remember why or where I got that.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I thought it was the other way around, but honestly don't remember why or where I got that.

Thiago is a few years older but actually has less minutes playing at a senior first team level vs Talles who made his first team debut at 16 or something like that.

Talles was signed on full potential though because he is coming back from injury and covid, so he has not been playing much prior to being signed. Thiago had been playing but of course, the delay with his visa made him have to train on his own for awhile.

The difference we are seeing is simply fitness and coming back from injury. Talles needs more time but I am confident we will see a lot of good things from him once he's match fit.

Reactions: Kjbert
Thiago is a few years older but actually has less minutes playing at a senior first team level vs Talles who made his first team debut at 16 or something like that.

Talles was signed on full potential though because he is coming back from injury and covid, so he has not been playing much prior to being signed. Thiago had been playing but of course, the delay with his visa made him have to train on his own for awhile.

The difference we are seeing is simply fitness and coming back from injury. Talles needs more time but I am confident we will see a lot of good things from him once he's match fit.
I think it was the bold that gave me that impression, plus the fact that Magno was seriously linked with big European clubs (not just BS rumors) before getting injured. The fitness is a different issue, but we can't judge who's currently better until they're even on that factor.
Also, didn't someone post a video of an interview with some Brazilian writer about both of them? I can't find it but maybe he said it? I could also be completely misremembering.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think it was the bold that gave me that impression, plus the fact that Magno was seriously linked with big European clubs (not just BS rumors) before getting injured. The fitness is a different issue, but we can't judge who's currently better until they're even on that factor.
Also, didn't someone post a video of an interview with some Brazilian writer about both of them? I can't find it but maybe he said it? I could also be completely misremembering.

i posted that video. i don't remember the details of what was said other than both have lots of potential and that Talles is very exciting and fun to watch.

video was on the club twitter and i think i posted it in the roster thread.

EDIT: here is that video again

Last edited:
i posted that video. i don't remember the details of what was said other than both have lots of potential and that Talles is very exciting and fun to watch.

video was on the club twitter and i think i posted it in the roster thread.

EDIT: here is that video again

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Right at the beginning he says that Thiago has not played much professional football yet and even in Brazil is an unknown quantity. Now I made a bit of an inference to turn that into Thiago will take longer to be productive than Talles, which is not necessarily what he meant, but right or wrong that what I remembered giving me that impression.

I think prolonged rumors and eventual signings of multiple young South American players in such a short period of time kind of scrambled my brain a bit as to the profile of each player

I struggle with an MLS club paying $12 million for a multi year project. Especially in a league where $12 million can buy you a lot

Reactions: LionNYC
I think prolonged rumors and eventual signings of multiple young South American players in such a short period of time kind of scrambled my brain a bit as to the profile of each player

I definitely have trouble keeping these guys straight. It doesn't help that one of them is Thiago and another is Santiago.

That said, I do remember reading that Talles was less polished with higher upside.

Reactions: Kjbert and 413Blue