2022 Roster Discussion

The pros and cons of having a team full of young players with aspirations: You usually only get one really great season out of them before they move on. But if you do get that MVP-caliber season, you're in business as a championship contender.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
The pros and cons of having a team full of young players with aspirations: You usually only get one really great season out of them before they move on. But if you do get that MVP-caliber season, you're in business as a championship contender.
Was discussing this with my sons coach yesterday. We’re a selling club. Happy for the one good Taty year, but we’re about to lose our top goal scorer for the 4th out of 5 years in a row

Reactions: katte
Ugh, I hate this. MLS just can't be taken seriously until good-and-potentially-great players want to stay here rather than leave here. We'll always be the triple-A league as opposed to MLB until then.

Ugh, I hate this. MLS just can't be taken seriously until good-and-potentially-great players want to stay here rather than leave here. We'll always be the triple-A league as opposed to MLB until then.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
but we’re about to lose our top goal scorer for the 4th out of 5 years in a row
Where are you getting this from?!?!

2020 - our top goal scorer was Taty, he's still here
2019 - our top goal scorer was Heber - we did lose him very late into the season so while you're technically correct, that lacks tons of context and he was lost in September
2018 - our top goal scorer was David Villa - he left at the end of this season
2017 - 2015 - our top goal scorer was David Villa - he came back the next year.

Reactions: katte and Shwafta
Where are you getting this from?!?!

2020 - our top goal scorer was Taty, he's still here
2019 - our top goal scorer was Heber - we did lose him very late into the season so while you're technically correct, that lacks tons of context and he was lost in September
2018 - our top goal scorer was David Villa - he left at the end of this season
2017 - 2015 - our top goal scorer was David Villa - he came back the next year.
So 3 out of 4 years.

It’s not like our club didn’t struggle to find goals for the first half of 2019 or the first half of 2020 or the first half of 2021.

So 3 out of 4 years.

It’s not like our club didn’t struggle to find goals for the first half of 2019 or the first half of 2020 or the first half of 2021.
The first half of 2020 the club still had their leading scorer from the prior year. As well as the first half of 2021.

And if scoring 32 goals over the first half of the season (1.88/game) is struggling to score goals, then imagine if the team had no trouble scoring goals.

What would that look like?

Reactions: FootyLovin
The first half of 2020 the club still had their leading scorer from the prior year. As well as the first half of 2021.

And if scoring 32 goals over the first half of the season (1.88/game) is struggling to score goals, then imagine if the team had no trouble scoring goals.

I think we're going back in circles of previous pages of this debate. I think the crux is about scoring goals at necessary times, rather than blowouts which prop some of the numbers.

Reactions: canchon and Kjbert
I think we're going back in circles of previous pages of this debate. I think the crux is about scoring goals at necessary times, rather than blowouts which prop some of the numbers.
Yeah, that was a completely different argument about how shifting goals from one game to another would be beneficial for the club.

He was saying that we've lost our top scorer in 4 of the last 5 years, insinuating that the club has let that player leave and then added in response that the club has struggled to score goals at the beginning of 2020 and 2021, seemingly as support for that argument. Let alone that the club only let their leading scorer leave the team and that was as his contract was up and he was on the verge of retirement.

Yet the last two years, the club has had their leading scorer from the previous year during that first half of the year. And in the first half of this year, the club scored 32 goals for an avg of 1.88 (NE this year scored 65 at 1.91pg) and only had one game during that stretch where the team was shut out.

Reactions: Shwafta

The only stat that matters is points. And if our new approach is to buy projects, then forgive me for being anxious about who scores goals.

Villa retires. We bring in no one. Then we get Heber. Heber plays well. Blows out his knee. Taty cokes good second half of this year. Goes somewhere else.

There is 0 evidence we have a goal scorer lined up to replace Taty. Miss me with that Talles Magno shit too

But we are a triple-A league. There's nothing wrong with that -- this is a minor league for the sport compared to around the world. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is. I don't treat MLS like it's MLB or the NBA -- it's not the best league in the world for that sport. One day maybe it will become more comparable, but it's just not there yet, and that's OK. Just the fact we have these young hungry players means this is a growing league.

Villa retires. We bring in no one. Then we get Heber. Heber plays well. Blows out his knee. Taty cokes good second half of this year. Goes somewhere else.

There is 0 evidence we have a goal scorer lined up to replace Taty. Miss me with that Talles Magno shit too
Heber blew out his knee in September. You make it sound as if the club knew about his injury and failed to cover for it.

And Taty was good the whole season. There's a reason that Kevin's article came out in May this year, it was clear.

Nobody said anything about Talles and I'm incredibly skeptical as well that he'll be able to be capable of being a high performing striker for a whole season next year. I'd be concerned if that was our only option up top next season.

But we are a triple-A league. There's nothing wrong with that -- this is a minor league for the sport compared to around the world. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is. I don't treat MLS like it's MLB or the NBA -- it's not the best league in the world for that sport. One day maybe it will become more comparable, but it's just not there yet, and that's OK. Just the fact we have these young hungry players means this is a growing league.
Not at all disagreeing with any of that. But I don't have to like it, ya know? LOL

Heber blew out his knee in September. You make it sound as if the club knew about his injury and failed to cover for it.

And Taty was good the whole season. There's a reason that Kevin's article came out in May this year, it was clear.

Nobody said anything about Talles and I'm incredibly skeptical as well that he'll be able to be capable of being a high performing striker for a whole season next year. I'd be concerned if that was our only option up top next season.

Taty was NOT good all season. That’s a farce.

If you want to say that Taty’s one goal as a striker is to you know, … scores goals or convert chances, then you can argue he was streaky at times. But to say that the golden boot winner is not good seems more like a farce to me. Plus the amount of work Taty puts into every game that may not end up in the back of goal whether it’s hold up play, creative passing, transition play, or ball retention is also important.