2022 Roster Discussion

This is the kind of questions we should ask David Lee, as he and Sims are probably the people who know more about this. Which could clarify this for us in the future. (Though it would help us exactly 0% since we'll anyway just be speculating with future data lmao)
That was the first thing I said to the other Outfield guys, is we need to ask Lee about this.

Reactions: Shwafta
MLS, at the time, reported that the loan opened up a DP spot for NYCFC.

And the article also links to a NYCFC site article that says the same thing.

Maybe the rules that Tenorio posted went into effect after the Mitrita loan, so he was grandfathered in (or technically out, haha)? I don't know.

I'm just not sure how else to interpret what Tenorio provided other than it seems like Mitrita should have still counted as a DP.

I don't understand this move.

Per MLS roster rules, are we getting budget relief? Doesn't read that way to me.

Option to buy isn't great given if Sands underperforms, they don't buy and he's sent back to us at a lower value.

Reactions: Kjbert and 413Blue

There it is
Hate to lose him, but it's good news for him and for the USMNT. He'll be in the middle of a promotion fight and looking at some European competition too (Europa League, etc.)

MLS is in the feeder league phase. A decade from now a guy like him probably doesn't move unless it's to the Bundesliga, La Liga or the Prem.

I don't understand this move.

Per MLS roster rules, are we getting budget relief? Doesn't read that way to me.

Option to buy isn't great given if Sands underperforms, they don't buy and he's sent back to us at a lower value.

My bet is that this is where Sands wanted to go and the team made it happen. I think there is value in demonstrating that the club is player-friendly and will work with young players to get them where they want to go. It will pay off long term when recruiting new young players. We don't get money now but we likely get some in the future and if we don't that means Sands could come back. Either option seems like a win. We also have two DP spots and some cash likely coming from a Taty sale so I think we could be alright for a year and a half until some cash comes in for Sands

He is more easily replaceable than Taty is or Johnson would be or Maxi would be.

Argument to be made that Keaton is a better partner for Morales and it’s a position of strength for us. We offload his HG number from the books and Haak returns.

Reactions: Schwallacus
My recollection is that when Mitrita was loaned to Saudi Arabia, the Club said that this freed up a DP slot. They didn't say anything either way when that loan was canceled, and Mitrita went to Greece.

Incidentally, Transfermarkt says that there was a $550K loan fee paid by the club in Greece.

I believe Mitrita's contract runs out at the end of the 2022 season, while the loan runs out in the summer. Hopefully, the Club can sort out the last half year.
The 2021 MLS Roster Rules and Regulations state that "clubs will receive roster relief but not Salary Budget relief unless otherwise agreed to in the loan agreement." Since we had 3 DPs on the roster last season (Medina, Moralez, and Talles Magno), I'm sure that they put salary budget relief in the loan agreement and got Mitrita off the books as a DP.

My bet is that this is where Sands wanted to go and the team made it happen. I think there is value in demonstrating that the club is player-friendly and will work with young players to get them where they want to go. It will pay off long term when recruiting new young players. We don't get money now but we likely get some in the future and if we don't that means Sands could come back. Either option seems like a win. We also have two DP spots and some cash likely coming from a Taty sale so I think we could be alright for a year and a half until some cash comes in for Sands
My bet is that this is where Sands wanted to go and the team made it happen. Lots of personal connections involved, I think. Giovanni van Bronckhorst was a teammate and close friend of Claudio Reyna's from their playing days in Scotland (Gio is named for him) so it's no stretch to conclude he and Sands know each other through our Academy somehow. Maybe even pretty well.

In any event, this is the growth phase our league is in right now: selling young talent to the European leagues. It definitely makes business sense at this point, for exactly the reasons you point out gbservis gbservis . And from an overall perspective it's an extremely healthy sign there's a building demand for young MLS talent.

Reactions: Kjbert
The 2021 MLS Roster Rules and Regulations state that "clubs will receive roster relief but not Salary Budget relief unless otherwise agreed to in the loan agreement." Since we had 3 DPs on the roster last season (Medina, Moralez, and Talles Magno), I'm sure that they put salary budget relief in the loan agreement and got Mitrita off the books as a DP.
Right - and by Salary Budget Relief in the Loan Agreement, I think they mean does the target club pay the players salary, and is there any additional compensation sent to the loaning club.

Remember this about Mitrita. He was only a DP because of the transfer fee we paid. His salary was $700K. His transfer fee was something like $8 million, which over a 4 year contract hits the books at $2 million per. So, what happens when we loan him out? Does the borrowing club need to pay $700K to get him off our books? That would seem wrong. If they pay $2.7 million, that covers the salary and that year's portion of the transfer fee. If they pay $1.7 million, maybe he hits our books at $1 million and we can buy him down with TAM.

There are lots of ways this can work, and the usual opacity from MLS.

Reactions: sabertooth36
Hate to lose him, but it's good news for him and for the USMNT. He'll be in the middle of a promotion fight and looking at some European competition too (Europa League, etc.)

Sorry to harp on specifics but what do you mean a promotion fight? You mean a title fight? They're in the top league in Scotland, so I assume this was a typo?

Sorry to harp on specifics but what do you mean a promotion fight? You mean a title fight? They're in the top league in Scotland, so I assume this was a typo?
Yes, typo! We're into the sundowning phase with Grandma and I got distracted in the middle of it. Plus I was talking Dike (and Pepi) on a Facebook USMNT page. I'm all messed up. LOL :confused1:

Yes, typo! We're into the sundowning phase with Grandma and I got distracted in the middle of it. Plus I was talking Dike (and Pepi) on a Facebook USMNT page. I'm all messed up. LOL :confused1:
I was commenting over there on how being in a promotion fight will help Dike and a relegation fight will help Pepi. For one thing, they wouldn't be getting brought in unless it's to play. For another, every game means something. Much better than going to a team just sort of hanging around the middle of the table year after year.

The same logic applies to Sands, in a way. A team battling for the top spot is likely looking for immediate help in the January window.