2022 Roster Discussion

Mitrita is our 3rd best DP ever.

Let’s chill with the slander here. He walks into this team right now if he wants to.
1.) Maxi
2.) Villa
3.) Lampard
4.) Medina (I know)

I think he walks into this team as a backup. As a DP.....bust. Talented, but never contributed with consistency.

Last edited:
1.) Maxi
2.) Villa
3.) Lampard
4.) Medina (I know)

I think he walks into this team as a backup. As a DP.....bust. Talented, but never contributed with consistency.

As key as Maxi has been since he joined, and as part of a Cup-winning team, doesn't Villa *have* to be #1? Villa was MVP in 2016 and a finalist in 2017. In those two years, he close to single-handedly led us to two 2nd place EC finishes. There was no saving the 2015 team, and Villa tailed off in 2018, but for me he's still the single best signing by the club.

As key as Maxi has been since he joined, and as part of a Cup-winning team, doesn't Villa *have* to be #1? Villa was MVP in 2016 and a finalist in 2017. In those two years, he close to single-handedly led us to two 2nd place EC finishes. There was no saving the 2015 team, and Villa tailed off in 2018, but for me he's still the single best signing by the club.
He was hurt a bit in 2018 and his goal involvements shifted a little towards assists, but his G+A-PK/90 was the highest of his time here.

Reactions: Kjbert
1.) Maxi
2.) Villa
3.) Lampard
4.) Medina (I know)

More productive than both Lampard and Medina. Not even close

I think it's actually pretty damn close and I can see it argued any which way.

Lampard, 15 goals and 3 assists
Mitrita, 16 goals and 4 assists
Medina, 23 goals and 9 assists (add the intangible defense and MLS Cup championship)

Both Lampard and Mitrita had their own issues that led to lack of playing time (both injury prone, Lampard's late arrival and Mitrita's early exit).

Lampard played on the worst team in club history that only had Villa and the production there was down (reasonably). Mitrita played on one of the best teams in club history and his production there was way up. I could see this point being argued either for or against either player.

Mitrita didn't play defense at all. Lampard did. Medina did better than either of them at it.

Mitrita didn't combine well in the offense in the build up. Lampard did. Medina struggled but I would say was better than Mitrita at it.

Mitrita could take guys on 1v1. Medina and Lampard couldn't.

Medina and Lampard both appeared to be exemplary teammates. Mitrita hasn't been specifically called out as the issue, but he was one of the players that left and during the offseason, many statements were made by players and coaches that basically said it was good a player or two were gone (I could easily see Mitrita being part of that).

I get it if you think Mitrita was a more productive DP than Medina or Lampard. But let's not act like it's not even debatable.

Mitrita - 16 goals in 44 appearances

Lampard - 15 goals in 29 appearances

I accept there are more advanced measures, but at the most basic I don't believe "not even close" is a fair qualifier.

Third place on the NYCFC DP list is open for debate. Unfortunately, that is more a reflection on some poor DP choices more than a bevy of options. For all the good the front office (appropriate credit to CFG) has done in scouting lesser known talents, DP acquisition and expenditure has been at best a mixed bag.

Third place on the NYCFC DP list is open for debate. Unfortunately, that is more a reflection on some poor DP choices more than a bevy of options.
It's really a value judgment and there's no objective measurement that definitively decides it. SoupInNYC SoupInNYC did a good job summarizing the various factors and how the 3 players compare. What do you value? Raw production totals? Production per minute, or per game? Intangibles?

I ding players considerably for showing up late or leaving early, even if there are good excuses (especially true for Mitrita). I also understand that's my value system and it's not universally shared. That's OK.

One more key point in the 3rd best debate, when Lampard was healthy he played. When he could play 90, he'd play 90.
Mitrita did miss some starts under two managers, despite healthy. I also remember, and found it intriguing, when Dome subbed out Mitri a bunch of times in a row, which I was convinced on the time had something to do with Mitri's attitude or work ethic.

Lampard didn’t play defense. He was old. He missed games. He valued City over NYC.

Medina stunk for 4 years. Only above Pirlo.

Mitrita brought something no one else did.

Lampard didn’t play defense. He was old. He missed games. He valued City over NYC.

Medina stunk for 4 years. Only above Pirlo.

Mitrita brought something no one else did.

Medina somehow set the bar so low for himself that all of a sudden giving a high level of effort on defense as a winger is now being used to value him as a top 3 DP. I know our DPs have been bad and he helped win us a trophy but come on "he ran back on defense really hard for the last year of his contract" is not a valuable DP.

When are the roster freezes for the Europa league? Would he even be able to play?

I’ve settled on a conspiracy theory. CFG buying James for a reasonable fee - say $4 million then an 18 month loan to Rangers.