2022 Roster Discussion

I've never been a huge fan of DP center backs in this league, especially on a team that is already so solid defensively. That said, I definitely buy into the message from earlier perhaps they can buy him down if they find more DP's this summer. They now have one open DP spot, so hopefully he's in the range that he can be bought down if needed at some point.

Ultimately, you have to trust this front office after the success we've had. They know what they're doing.
It's so boring around here when the FO addresses the exact need that we've all identified and also left themselves space to maneuver ;-)

If they get a Stadium deal we'll have nothing left to talk about except sizing disparities on Fanatics gear that don't flatter our generally unimpressive physiques (which, as we all know, is definitive proof of the top-to-bottom incompetence of the front office).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and CCMore
Who wrote this?
Doyle's roster build recap on MLS website.

Whoops. I forgot to link the article. Thanks ZYanksRule ZYanksRule ! I'll add it to my post as well

Reactions: Kjbert
NYCFC 2022 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Heber, Castellanos
Wing: Magno, Jasson, Tajouri-Shradi, Thaigo, Rodriguez, Mitrita*
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina
CM: Parks, Sands, Morales, Acevedo, Rocha, Zelalem, Torres, Haak
RB: Tinnerholm, Gray
LB: Thorarinsson, Amundsen, Gloster, McFarlane
CB: Chanot, Callens, Latinovich
GK: Johnson, Barraza, Mizell

* - On loan.

UPDATE
NYCFC 2022 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Castellanos, Heber
Wing: Magno, Thaigo, Jasson, Mitrita*
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Rodriguez
CM: Parks, Morales, Acevedo, Zelalem, Haak
LB: Amundsen, Gloster, McFarlane
CB: Chanot, Callens, Martins, Latinovich

* - On loan.
italics indicates injured to begin the season.

We have 24 players, not including Mitrita.

We need...
  • 1 more striker
  • 1 left footed winger
  • 1 center mid
  • 1 right back
  • 1 center back
All can be backup quality. The one place we really need to bring in a strong contributor is a left footed winger.

UPDATE
NYCFC 2022 DEPTH CHART

* - On loan.
Forgot Sands*

UPDATE
NYCFC 2022 DEPTH CHART

* - On loan.
Forgot Sands*

And the new homegrowns.
Owusu and Benalcazar could probably be the RB/CB depth that Gotham is hoping for im guessing

The only name I’m surprised and also not surprised that is not on this list is Thiago Martins. Makes sense but still wish we could see him in action
I think it's a paperwork issue. He can be added into the competition roster once his paperwork is complete and put on the match roster up to 44 hours before each match kickoff. There's a 35 player maximum on the competition roster but we only have 25 registered, so there's plenty of room.

Reactions: Sabo and Shwafta
Is this for the whole competition or just the first game/round?
As I read the rule, you can add players to the competition roster at any time. Players can be added to the 23-man match roster up to 44 hours before each kickoff:

"10.1.1 Clubs must provide their 35-player roster to Concacaf no later than 14 days prior to start of The Competition. This list is binding and must contain the names of no less than 18 players and no more than 35. 10.1.2 If The Competition roster does not include the maximum 35 players, then additional players may be added provided the maximum of 35 players is not exceeded. 10.1.3 Clubs must provide their 23-player final match roster (with a minimum of 18), selected from their approved 35-player competition roster, to Concacaf no later than 44 hours prior to each match kickoff."

Reactions: JayH