Wing: Magno, Thaigo, Jasson, Mitrita*
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Rodriguez
CM: Parks, Morales, Acevedo, Zelalem, Haak
RB: Tinnerholm, Gray
LB: Amundsen, Gloster, McFarlane
CB: Chanot, Callens, Martins, Latinovich
GK: Johnson, Barraza, Mizell

* - On loan.
italics indicates injured to begin the season.
Updating to remove Mitrita (I don't think anyone expects him or Sands to return).

I have not added the three homegrowns from last month (Benalcazar, Owusu and Jiminez). While their contracts apparently allow them to play for the senior team, they are earmarked for NYCFC II and thus don't provide meaningful depth to the senior team - at least not at the start of the season.

UPDATE
NYCFC 2022 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Castellanos, Heber
Wing: Magno, Thaigo, Jasson

I am surprised to see Parks in the roster... i didn't think he was doing active training yet. But I guess they assume he could return before the end of CCL provided we continue to advance.

Updating to remove Mitrita (I don't think anyone expects him or Sands to return).

I have not added the three homegrowns from last month (Benalcazar, Owusu and Jiminez). While their contracts apparently allow them to play for the senior team, they are earmarked for NYCFC II and thus don't provide meaningful depth to the senior team - at least not at the start of the season.

UPDATE
NYCFC 2022 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Castellanos, Heber
Wing: Magno, Thaigo, Jasson

Gotcha i was just going based off of you adding mcfarlane. i assumed that they were probably on the same level. and update they did get registered for CCL which is nice to see i guess

I am surprised to see Parks in the roster... i didn't think he was doing active training yet. But I guess they assume he could return before the end of CCL provided we continue to advance.

He was in yesterday’s training video.

Gotcha i was just going based off of you adding mcfarlane. i assumed that they were probably on the same level. and update they did get registered for CCL which is nice to see i guess
That comparison to McFarlane is definitely fair. I don't know that he is meaningful depth either at this stage.

With NYCFC II and the long term loans we have, it is harder to find solid lines to draw around the senior team. Hopefully, this gets more clear once the roster rules for MLSNext are finalized.

Reactions: Kjbert
That comparison to McFarlane is definitely fair. I don't know that he is meaningful depth either at this stage.

With NYCFC II and the long term loans we have, it is harder to find solid lines to draw around the senior team. Hopefully, this gets more clear once the roster rules for MLSNext are finalized.

i thought they were finalized? or did you mean from the club's perspective of who they are putting on the II squad?

From the video released today it looks like it is going to be fairly seemless, they mentioned giving injured players playing time as they come back to fitness, and giving first team member time to prepare (or something like that) as well as saying that nycfc 2 will give opportunities to make it to the first team.

From how i have interpreted for MLS signed players, this will be much like the PL2. they can play on that team whenever and be rostered with the first as well. it will be much more pronounced for those signed to MNP contracts as I don't believe that gives them access to first team roster spots.

They probably don't need to invent a mechanism for first team players. You just loan and recall them when needed.

They probably don't need to invent a mechanism for first team players. You just loan and recall them when needed.
There is probably a lot of truth in this.

The issue is that MLSNext allows up to 24 professional players on the Second Team. Can all of those be drawn up to the Senior Team as needed?
  • If not, then there must be some difference between the pro players on the Second Team - something hinted at in the press release on signing the three homegrowns.
  • If so, then the league has effectively increased the cap on the number of Senior Team players (even if not all the Second Team players could be called in at once).

Reactions: moogoo and Kjbert
Don't we still need at least one more center back? I read the Outfield piece on Thiago Martins, and it briefly covered the team's lack of depth before understandably moving on, because the piece was about Martins. But Martins only partly fills the gaps. As the article noted, since the beginning of last year we lost Ibeagha, and Sands, and discovered that Vukovich is not very good and Morales is not an acceptable CB. And we signed 1 CB to cover all of that. Don't we need another mid-price mid-level-quality kind of guy we can slot in from time to time? This does not seem to me like something left for the summer window.

Don't we still need at least one more center back? I read the Outfield piece on Thiago Martins, and it briefly covered the team's lack of depth before understandably moving on, because the piece was about Martins. But Martins only partly fills the gaps. As the article noted, since the beginning of last year we lost Ibeagha, and Sands, and discovered that Vukovich is not very good and Morales is not an acceptable CB. And we signed 1 CB to cover all of that. Don't we need another mid-price mid-level-quality kind of guy we can slot in from time to time? This does not seem to me like something left for the summer window.
Agreed, we need at least one more. I don't want to push our luck and grind Callens/Chanot into the ground all year. Vuk wasn't good enough but hopefully gets time in the MLS 2 program to get some time. I'd say 2 backup CBs would be ideal, in the $75K-$100K range. Were any of the younglings from the academy that we signed CBs? Totally forgot what positions they play/prefer.