2022 Roster Discussion

The club is pulling back its Academy? This is going to sound ruder than I intend it so please don't take it that way, but what is the evidence of that? Their academy continues to produce talent, the 2nd team is near the top of the table in MLSNP ... since when are they pulling back on their academy?

I believe you are taking a too-micro look at this. If it's not on the field in the name of a high-priced DP, there are still many ways to invest that money to improve the squad. This isn't a zero-sum situation.

Yes. The academy is going backwards. The commitment to the academy based on the feedback they are receiving from parents is not a positive one.

Not our squad specifically, but there are also other operations around a club except for the 23 or so people who play the game of soccer.

We shouldn’t be selling players to cover the wages of the 100 or so people working for the club. That’s an awful precedent

Our replacement Striker is not trusted by the manager to go more than 60 minutes.

Yes. The academy is going backwards. The commitment to the academy based on the feedback they are receiving from parents is not a positive one.
Love you, man, but elite soccer parents are the worst. Never happy about anything or anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: CCMore
Using some portion of transfer income to offset losses is not a bad thing. Nobody can believe this club breaks even right now, and if we want CFG to continue spending on everything from player salaries to incoming transfers to the academy to a stadium, we should be understanding when they use income like this to offset losses like that.

It always amuses me when people treat the cash from Abu Dhabi like it is some kind of bottomless pit of money that is their own to spend. Neither of those things are true.

Using some portion of transfer income to offset losses is not a bad thing. Nobody can believe this club breaks even right now, and if we want CFG to continue spending on everything from player salaries to incoming transfers to the academy to a stadium, we should be understanding when they use income like this to offset losses like that.

It always amuses me when people treat the cash from Abu Dhabi like it is some kind of bottomless pit of money that is their own to spend. Neither of those things are true.

How many tens of millions has CFG taken in from expansion fees in the last 9 years?

they vote with their feet. And they’re not driving to Long Island anymore.
75% of those kids are cannon fodder for the real prospects and are interchangeable with dozens of kids around the tri-state area. Might just be parents are doing a better job of realizing which their kids are a little earlier, but there's always a line of more drones around the block to take their place.

Reactions: moogoo
75% of those kids are cannon fodder for the real prospects and are interchangeable with dozens of kids around the tri-state area. Might just be parents are doing a better job of realizing which their kids are a little earlier, but there's always a line of more drones around the block to take their place.

lol cannon fodder. i wonder which I was as a kid.... :confused:

Reactions: Kjbert

The real prospects aren’t showing up either.

I tell Fred Jr. all the time, if he worked a little harder and was a little more disciplined, he could have been good enough to be cannon fodder.

LOL.

Yea. Guess I was lower than cannon fodder then since my highest level stopped at state. lol.

I missed a PK my HS senior year that would have taken us to the Wisconsin state semifinals. I'm sure someone can top that, anyone?

With 10 games in 5 weeks do we think there will be a lot of player rotation to try and combat fatigue going into the second half of the season or are the 13-15 regulars be who we see for >90% of the minutes going forward? This run of games from Aug13- Sep17 seems particularly brutal with 5 away matches and games at all 3 "home stadiums" during that time while dealing with this ridiculous prolonged heat spell.

For reference, only 16 players have played more than 20% of the minutes available this season and that is including Taty (Sold) and Keaton (Injured Return:TBD) and Callens (out minimum 3 weeks).

With 10 games in 5 weeks do we think there will be a lot of player rotation to try and combat fatigue going into the second half of the season or are the 13-15 regulars be who we see for >90% of the minutes going forward? This run of games from Aug13- Sep17 seems particularly brutal with 5 away matches and games at all 3 "home stadiums" during that time while dealing with this ridiculous prolonged heat spell.

For reference, only 16 players have played more than 20% of the minutes available this season and that is including Taty (Sold) and Keaton (Injured Return:TBD) and Callens (out minimum 3 weeks).

Tinnerholm and Chanot haven't played a lot of minutes this season, so they will now get a lion's share of the work, I would think.

There's not a lot of options aside from the guys who have played. This team is deep in terms of talent, but not deep in bodies. For the most part everyone they've played is at the level, but there's not a lot of other guys also at the level.

Reactions: NYCFCFAN99
the midfield is a more shaky area than the defense imo. Callens being out sucks but he will still return for most of the season as well as playoffs. Keaton is out for the whole season, Acevedo has been good but shaky at times, and it doesn't look like Cushing knows what to do in that area playing pereira as a DM a few games ago for example

the midfield is a more shaky area than the defense imo. Callens being out sucks but he will still return for most of the season as well as playoffs. Keaton is out for the whole season, Acevedo has been good but shaky at times, and it doesn't look like Cushing knows what to do in that area playing pereira as a DM a few games ago for example
When did Pereira play as a DM?

The more I hear about the Riqui Puig deal (for example, an article on The Athletic saying that many MLS executives were skeptical I could be a legitimate TAM deal) I wonder... why didn't we go after Puig? We have the cap space, we are more ball-dominant and tiki-taka that LAG, we are looking for somebody with good touch and vision to inherit the AM role, and NYC is as attractive a place to be as LA... why, oh why?

The more I hear about the Riqui Puig deal (for example, an article on The Athletic saying that many MLS executives were skeptical I could be a legitimate TAM deal) I wonder... why didn't we go after Puig? We have the cap space, we are more ball-dominant and tiki-taka that LAG, we are looking for somebody with good touch and vision to inherit the AM role, and NYC is as attractive a place to be as LA... why, oh why?
Do you know that NYCFC didn't go after him? Or perhaps Puig to MLS wasn't on anyone's radar and then Puig wanted to go to LA Galaxy?

Do you know that NYCFC didn't go after him? Or perhaps Puig to MLS wasn't on anyone's radar and then Puig wanted to go to LA Galaxy?
Hi Soup,
I know absolutely nothing! Sounds like a steal as a free transfer/TAM salary deal, tough.