2022 Roster Discussion

Not that it was ever our strength-strength, but does anybody know who is taking free kicks come February 15th?

Follow-up Question: are we worried?

Maxi for sure. And I also wonder if Santi has any skill in that department.

Reactions: Kjbert
Or someone we sign ends up being good at free kicks. Gudi's free kick skills came almost out of nowhere, and I don't think anyone really expected it or knew about it beforehand (Outfield, correct me if I'm wrong...).

Would be fun to get a giovinco type of "ooh shit, that spot's perfect for a.... <golazo>"

Yeah, we don't have anyone really capable of taking a direct free kick on the current roster. Maybe Santi can, but I'm not sure.

Both Maxi and Jasson attempted direct kicks on goal last year but none of them really sent any dangerous shots.

Sands has been looking to go pro. Amongst others. And we’ve held off on them.

Little surprised by Polvara. I would imagine it’s low level European interest

Sands has been looking to go pro. Amongst others. And we’ve held off on them.

Little surprised by Polvara. I would imagine it’s low level European interest

would nycfc 2 be an option they would take?

I wouldn't give up a free ride to georgetown for whatever low salary you get on that the 2nd team
I'd agree, but maybe some kids would take the money.

If it comes with an MLS homegrown contract, then the minimum salary is $63k and that ain't bad for anyone who is college age, let alone a first year out of college. Coming in at that age should also result in much higher quality training than a player would receive at college and then *should* result in higher salary earnings in professional soccer down the road.

Now, that said, some kids probably would rather take the degree and what that brings along with it in the post-athlete life and I get that. Some kids probably just want to go to college for the college atmosphere/environment and I get that as well.

I just wouldn't be surprised if NYCFC2 existing would make a difference to signing a homegrown contract as it would result in nearly guaranteed playing time. Obviously not to all players, but a 18 year old getting guaranteed minutes, 63k in salary, and elite training would be hard to pass for many.

Reactions: Kjbert and 413Blue
I am like 99% sure that MLSPA minimum salaries are not applicable to people signing directly for the 2nd team. could be wrong though

Was there something in my post that indicated overall unhappiness with our roster development, or even any mention of the front office?
I thought I was pretty clear. I even explicitly said one possibility is the club believed it had to move Sands and this is the best deal available right now. That might be true. That does not make it a good deal, just the best available from a weak position.

But neither you nor Shwafta Shwafta seem to have addressed my main point: this is an objectively bad deal and I see no reason to be happy with it. Grudging acceptance is the best, I think, anyone should muster. Yet I see idiot takes like this from MLS writers:

Also, if we did make that promise and this is the best or only deal we could get, then all the praise for signing him to the extension a year ago is rendered wrong, because from the club's perspective the reason that was good business was to put both James and NYCFC in a position to negotiate from a stronger position, but we basically did not actually have a strong position because we promised to make a deal no matter what.

Reading the quotes on Rangers site , it sounds like there was a couple of European clubs also interested

"Naturally we faced competition from some excellent European clubs to sign James. I am delighted that he shares our belief that Rangers is the next step in his exciting journey.”

Short term the Sands deal was underwhelming. Long term it will be beneficial if it leads the next young player to choose NYCFC. Perhaps it is the glow of the Cup, but I have faith in the latter.

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert

We don’t know any of the starting attacking 4 rn, including the plans for Maxi. If I had to guess, it’s Maxi but he’ll continue to look for passes then take a shot directly.

Short term the Sands deal was underwhelming. Long term it will be beneficial if it leads the next young player to choose NYCFC. Perhaps it is the glow of the Cup, but I have faith in the latter.

Who are these hypothetical young players who spurn NYCFC because we didn’t hold out for a better deal for James Sands in June 2022 instead of January 2022? Is it worth us potentially turning down millions of dollars to secure their hypothetical futures?

This idea that it will ALWAYS be a good idea to sell off our young players, no matter the terms of the deal, because it might persuade future stars to join one day, is a dangerous mindset.

Who are these hypothetical young players who spurn NYCFC because we didn’t hold out for a better deal for James Sands in June 2022 instead of January 2022? Is it worth us potentially turning down millions of dollars to secure their hypothetical futures?

This idea that it will ALWAYS be a good idea to sell off our young players, no matter the terms of the deal, because it might persuade future stars to join one day, is a dangerous mindset.

They promised James they would let him leave on his terms if he signed a new contract last year. This is black and white. And we won a title

I'm also guessing that the transfer fees offered today were low enough that the club thought that transfer fees offered 18 months from now (whether through this buy option or not) would be worth more than the lower fee in today $.

I don't know of any specific players, hence the use of the word "if" - but in a selling league, better to be known as the team that finds paths to Europe.

It may end up being the wrong choice, but considering the nature of MLS, the recent transaction history of NYCFC, and the affiliation with the CFG scouting network, I am fine with the move. If we were Sporting Kansas City, I'd feel differently.

I don't know of any specific players, hence the use of the word "if" - but in a selling league, better to be known as the team that finds paths to Europe.

It may end up being the wrong choice, but considering the nature of MLS, the recent transaction history of NYCFC, and the affiliation with the CFG scouting network, I am fine with the move. If we were Sporting Kansas City, I'd feel differently.

Thank you.

James is also a luxury for this team. A healthy Acevedo, a growing Haak, more minutes for Keaton and the promise of Zelalem. I think we're OK and this move is a nothing burger ASSUMING we find a very strong third choice CB.