2022 Roster Discussion

It's a bit of a stretch but for anyone more familiar with MLS rules is there any value in staggering when you get large amounts of GAM from player transfers. We seem likely to get a large chunk for Taty in the near future. Maybe there is some upside to differing the Sands money for 18 months?

Reactions: JayH and SoupInNYC
Incorrect. He wanted to leave so he could be closer to his family and pregnant wife. What's wrong with that? He played well as the player he is but didn't match the system and qualities that Delia wanted our attackers to have. He was inherited by Delia, not signed when Delia was manager.

Incorrect. He sulked, never showed he cared, never celebrated when his teammates scored, never worked hard defensively and played only for himself. His best stretch of play occured when he knew he was getting loaned out and leaving the team.

I can't call him a pitiful person because I don't know him personally. Pitiful footballer and the antithesis of what NYCFC stands for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 413Blue
I really don't agree with that. The guy wasn't as good as advertised, but he was still pretty good when he was here. He had 12 goals, 3 assists in 2019 and was playing well in 2020 before he decided he wanted to leave.

It sucks that he wanted to leave, by all accounts it was mostly because of COVID, but to call him a pitiful footballer is too much. 16 goals and 5 assists in 41 career appearances is a pretty good strike rate. It's a shame it didn't work out for him here.

Well argued! Although I'm glad he wanted out.

That might be mildly impressive if we had been in existence for 30 years.
Exactly! Josh Saunders is our 2nd all-time leader in saves, shutouts, wins (keeper) and probably every other keeper stat. He will probably hold that position for at least a few more years. Certainly doesn't mean that he was even a decent keeper.

• Haha
Reactions: Yankeedom and JayH
Incorrect. He sulked, never showed he cared, never celebrated when his teammates scored, never worked hard defensively and played only for himself. His best stretch of play occured when he knew he was getting loaned out and leaving the team.

I can't call him a pitiful person because I don't know him personally. Pitiful footballer and the antithesis of what NYCFC stands for.

Who invited this ahole ^

Exactly! Josh Saunders is our 2nd all-time leader in saves, shutouts, wins (keeper) and probably every other keeper stat. He will probably hold that position for at least a few more years. Certainly doesn't mean that he was even a decent keeper.

No. This is not the same thing. How many outfield players have we had? 75? How many goalies? 3?

Our FO is so good I cant believe they would make such a lousy deal for Sands as I thought on first impression. If I assume the FO knows what they are doing (I do), this is the scenario I think we are looking at:

1) James Sands is playing for Rangers for 18 months because the FO think it is a good move in his player development and they trust GVB as his Coach.
2) At the end of 18 months NYCFC can force Sands to come back to NYCFC to finish out his contract (they won't but the bottom line is Sands is an NYCFC player at the end of the loan).
3) Rangers exclusive option to buy is actually a right of first refusal to match any transfer offer during or at the end of the loan.
4) Man City will be offering an appropriate transfer fee to move him onto their books in 18 months (e.g. Harrison, Diskerud) for more than any Ranger offer or, alternatively, another club will present an option that CFG accepts on behalf of NYCFC at the end of the loan.

When I make these assumptions I think Sands/Rangers is a win-win deal for Club and player that will provide a financial benefit to NYCFC in the summer of 2024 that is likely to be substantially higher than anything the Club can get today. With some solid Champions League experience for Rangers this plan is making sense to me.

gbservis gbservis one upside to getting a transfer fee in 2024 rather than 2022 is that each club will be getting $400K less in annual TAM in 2024 than they will get in 2022, but I dont think thats a significant factor in the structure of the deal -- I think the FO believes James will be more valuable for NYCFC playing for Rangers the next 18 months than he would be continuing to play for NYCFC during that timeframe.