2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

To be fair to Santi on most teams he wouldn't need to be a leader at 24, still early in his own development. I appreciate his passion, he always gives it his all. In some ways, it seems like the volatility that detracts from his leadership abilities is the same energy that drives his on-field success and it may be hard to decouple those things. I also think Santi is in a harder position to lead than players like Villa and Maxi who have played in big European leagues and can say to the young guys listen to me because I've been where you are trying to go. The other young South American players may look at Santi as more of a peer or worse look at him and think if I am here at 24 then I have failed to reach my goals. It's not an easy position to be in, that DP tag carries a lot of weight.
Agreed. And as I said, he still has time to grow.

But if he's going to pick up the mantle from Maxi and lead our attack, he's going to have to learn to channel his passion into a controlled sense of urgency. It's the key to everything. And he's not that young. At age 24 he should be getting a grip on himself, especially as it concerns the way he deals with his teammates out on the pitch.

Reactions: gbservis
We have eight forwards/attacking midfielders who I feel very comfortable giving minutes to. (Not even including Malachi Jones or Andres Jasson). Even with those six guys taking up space, we have a ridiculous amount of first-choice options.
I've been thinking the same thing: Nick has a lot to sort out. Which is, of course, a great problem to have, as long as you can manage it (if the squad didn't fly apart last season, I'm sure we'll be fine).

Not his salary, but I think we were at the maximum 30 roster spots. So yes, we had to clear someone out to make room for him.

We have four goalkeepers on the team. That doesn't make sense. One of them should have been cut (or just not added) instead of trading Segal. I'd rather than have strikers than four goalkeepers.
I think I don't think you have to comply with roster rules until closer to opening day, though you might as well make moves when you can earlier. Relatedly, I'll be shocked if we carry 4 goalkeepers. My mildly bold prediction is we trade Barraza.
True, though I felt when Gudi won that spot it was solid and not cause for concern.
Which is funny because he wasn't, in his mind at least, a natural fullback. I think the club would rather take the money it would cost to upgrade LB and spend it on getting all the wingers.

Bogert said Mijatovic deal is done and just waiting for the official announcement. It hit a snag that could have blown it up but they worked it out and it's done. He didn't say where the kid is and whether physical is done but did say he thinks he should be with the team soon. Aside, I'm wondering if visas are coming a little more quickly than they have the last few years.

Also of interest, Tom said Portland is trying to make a deal for Arezo, who was incorrectly reported (but not by Bogert) to have signed with us.He said NYCFC holds the discovery rights so I guess we'll get $50k GAM if he does sign with another MLS club? Portland has 2 open DP slots so maybe that's why they can meet Arezo's salary ask and we could not.

Cushing will complain he wasn’t here for the full here for the full preseason if we falter

Hope the kid is the golden boot winner

Reactions: KevinJRogers
NYCFC 2024 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Mijatović[?], Bakrar
Wing/Striker: Talles Magno, Yanez
Wing: Fernandez, Ojeda, Martinez, Jasson, Jones
Wing/CAM: Santi, Wolf
CAM: Maxi M., Maxi C.
CM: Parks, Sands, Perea, Shore
RB: Gray, Ilenič, Baiera
LB: O'Toole, McFarlane
CB: Martins, Risa, Tanasijević, Haak
GK: Freese, Barraza, Rando, Romero

NYCFC 2024 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Mijatović[?], Bakrar
Wing/Striker: Talles Magno, Yanez
Wing: Fernandez, Ojeda, Martinez, Jasson, Jones
Wing/CAM: Santi, Wolf
CAM: Maxi M., Maxi C.
CM: Parks, Sands, Perea, Shore
RB: Gray, Ilenič, Baiera
LB: O'Toole, McFarlane
CB: Martins, Risa, Tanasijević, Haak
GK: Freese, Barraza, Rando, Romero
CDM:? Sands, Haak, ?
Would Gray also count as a CB?

I'm worried that we're all super excited and then he's gonna flop hard. That possibility scares me...
I'm optimistic and hopeful, but not sure what to expect, especially in the first year. I'm probably hoping for steady growth, like 10 goals year 1, then 15, 18, and 20+ eventually. If he scores 23 goals this year he'll just want to go back to Europe next summer.

CDM:? Sands, Haak, ?
Would Gray also count as a CB?
I was trying not to create too many different categories. For example, I have a categories for winger, CAM and winger/CAM. Technically, yes, Haak and Sands should be in CDM/CB and Gray could be a RB/CB, but it starts to lose its coherence.

Reactions: CCMore
I'm optimistic and hopeful, but not sure what to expect, especially in the first year. I'm probably hoping for steady growth, like 10 goals year 1, then 15, 18, and 20+ eventually. If he scores 23 goals this year he'll just want to go back to Europe next summer.

Based on history we should for sure be tempering Mijatović expectations for year one.

Talles Magno
Arrival Age: 18, Transfer Fee: $8M, Arrival Date: May 2021
Year 1 Regular Season Stats
  • Starts: 5
  • Appearances: 15
  • Min Played: 450
  • Goals: 2
  • Assists: 0
Gabriel Pereira
Arrival Age: 20 Transfer Fee: $5M, Arrival Date: March 2022
  • Starts: 14
  • Appearances: 26
  • Min Played: 1346
  • Goals: 8
  • Assists: 4

Gabby did much better but he already had 48 first-team appearances for Corinthians and was two years older upon arrival than both Magno and Mijatović. Magno's regular season stats are low but he had some massive playoff moments in our cup run. If we get 10 goals and a solid number of starts from Mijatović in year 1 it will be a resounding success.

Based on history we should for sure be tempering Mijatović expectations for year one.

Talles Magno
Arrival Age: 18, Transfer Fee: $8M, Arrival Date: May 2021
  • Starts: 5
  • Appearances: 15
  • Min Played: 450
  • Goals: 2
  • Assists: 0
Gabriel Pereira
Arrival Age: 20 Transfer Fee: $5M, Arrival Date: March 2022
  • Starts: 14
  • Appearances: 26
  • Min Played: 1346
  • Goals: 8
  • Assists: 4

Gabby did much better but he already had 48 first-team appearances for Corinthians and was two years older upon arrival than both Magno and Mijatović. Magno's regular season stats are low but he had some massive playoff moments in our cup run. If we get 10 goals and a solid number of starts from Mijatović in year 1 it will be a resounding success.
Agreed, expectations should always be tempered for immediate contributions from a super young player brand new in the US.

That said, I think in terms of goal/assist outputs, Jovan should still likely exceed Gabi's due to being here for a full season (effectively, assuming he's announced within the next week) and the position he will be playing.

I would assume he signed all the documents and we're now just waiting for them to edit the welcome videos before the official announcement is made.

I would also think he came here on a visitor's visa to sign the paperwork and will have to leave and come back when his working visa gets sorted out -- so he's probably still a few weeks away from actually being available.

Also there were reports he wasn't that excited about coming to play for NYCFC, but excitedly putting the team in his bio on social media before the deal is even signed would seem to put a stop to those reports in my opinion.

I would assume he signed all the documents and we're now just waiting for them to edit the welcome videos before the official announcement is made.

I would also think he came here on a visitor's visa to sign the paperwork and will have to leave and come back when his working visa gets sorted out -- so he's probably still a few weeks away from actually being available.

Also there were reports he wasn't that excited about coming to play for NYCFC, but excitedly putting the team in his bio on social media before the deal is even signed would seem to put a stop to those reports in my opinion.
Yeah I don't particularly think the insta bio edit means the deal is in peril, but I also can't think of a good reason to delete it. What are they trying to keep it a surprise? Lol. And there's no visa, employment or other legal requirement - referencing a sports team is not some sort of legally binding statement. Hence, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Reactions: KevinJRogers