New Jersey - Postmatch

He was brought in at the 86th minute. I didn't notice this lapse you speak of so I will have to go watch again. To say he was disinterested in helping out is just nonsense though.

I agree, I'm typically hard on Lewis about his defensive lapses but he appeared to me in this appearance to give full effort. As I have said before in this game and the Chicago game last season he's proven that when he chooses he can be a highly effective and fully engaged defender.

The Dome/Villa shouting just could have just been motivation and encouragement to keep gutting it out. Yes he's young and he had just come on but no one can run at a full out sprint for 10 min. When we gained possession of the ball he flew up field to be an outlet and continued to sprint between players as the long player assigned to the high press at that intensity it's possible he just got gassed for a second and Villa and his coach were just providing encouragement to keep going.

Last edited:
I agree, I'm typically hard on Lewis about his defensive lapses but he appeared to me in this appearance to give full effort. As I have said before in this game and the Chicago game last season he's proven that when he chooses he can be a highly effective and fully engaged defender.

The Dome/Villa shouting just could have just been motivation and encouragement to keep gutting it out. Yes he's you and he had just come on but no one can run at a full out sprint for 10 min. When we gained possession of the ball he flew up field to be an outlet and continued to sprint between players as the long player assigned to the high press at that intensity it's possible he just got gassed for a second and Villa and his coach were just providing encouragement to keep going.
Yeah, no world class athlete, let alone a soccer player, can keep their heart rate up sprinting non-stop for 10min. Start stop start stop with chasing and breakouts is just as draining on a system as a full 200m or 400m sprint, and the body needs a bit of a recovery period before going again. Lewis looked to have been going non-stop and I’d like to think the bench was shouting encouragement and not anger.

Yeah, no world class athlete, let alone a soccer player, can keep their heart rate up sprinting non-stop for 10min. Start stop start stop with chasing and breakouts is just as draining on a system as a full 200m or 400m sprint, and the body needs a bit of a recovery period before going again. Lewis looked to have been going non-stop and I’d like to think the bench was shouting encouragement and not anger.

i think it was part encouragement and part direction. I personally saw him hustling out there albeit a little lost at times.

I do wonder if some of Lewis' defensive challenges come from trying to figure out how to adjust his pacing in a very different position than he's played his entire life. Every player takes breaks and recovers and different positions do it at different times. Lewis has clearly played in a full attacking position more of his life and appears conditioned to pace himself the way a striker does, once the ball turns over he presses hard and then once it's over the midfield line and into our defensive half his habits tell him it's time for him to recover and his instinct is to shut it down. Strikers often slow to a walk at that point recovering in preparation for the next attack. Two way players on the other hand mostly recover by toggling from sprinting to more of a jog in order to maintain position when the play drifts away from them. It's likely a bigger habitual transition for some players that have played one position all their lives than we like to acknowledge. In our system as a two way winger he's now required to pace himself more like a midfielder. It could explain why as you have pointed out he often gets caught on restarts, he hasn't figured out how to recover in his new role and as a result when the play finally stops he's gassed and he shuts down a bit too much.

That said we are two years in, if this is the issue at some point he needs to figure it out. I hope he does so that he can be a starter on the wing for us, if he can't I hope he gets some time at striker or lands with a team that wants to play him in a fully attacking position.

I do wonder if some of Lewis' defensive challenges come from trying to figure out how to adjust his pacing in a very different position than he's played his entire life. Every player takes breaks and recovers and different positions do it at different times. Lewis has clearly played in a full attacking position more of his life and appears conditioned to pace himself the way a striker does, once the ball turns over he presses hard and then once it's over the midfield line and into our defensive half his habits tell him it's time for him to recover and his instinct is to shut it down. Strikers often slow to a walk at that point recovering in preparation for the next attack. Two way players on the other hand mostly recover by toggling from sprinting to more of a jog in order to maintain position when the play drifts away from them. It's likely a bigger habitual transition for some players that have played one position all their lives than we like to acknowledge. In our system as a two way winger he's now required to pace himself more like a midfielder. It could explain why as you have pointed out he often gets caught on restarts, he hasn't figured out how to recover in his new role and as a result when the play finally stops he's gassed and he shuts down a bit too much.

That said we are two years in, if this is the issue at some point he needs to figure it out. I hope he does so that he can be a starter on the wing for us, if he can't I hope he gets some time at striker or lands with a team that wants to play him in a fully attacking position.
And frankly it was an extraordinary circumstance coming in for injury time two men down given his skill set and propensities. Some confusion does make sense and explain the need for direction. I certainly hope that it wasn’t anger as I want to see him playing.

And frankly it was an extraordinary circumstance coming in for injury time two men down given his skill set and propensities. Some confusion does make sense and explain the need for direction. I certainly hope that it wasn’t anger as I want to see him playing.
The fact that we weren’t bunkering, but instead pressing for a winner when down to 9 is also a contributing factor - he’s damned if he drops every time if he’s not there for the break when his teammates make the clearance, and he’s damned if he doesn’t drop because the coach wanted the team to press for the winner.

The fact that we weren’t bunkering, but instead pressing for a winner when down to 9 is also a contributing factor - he’s damned if he drops every time if he’s not there for the break when his teammates make the clearance, and he’s damned if he doesn’t drop because the coach wanted the team to press for the winner.

My guy.

I also had 2 first-timers at the game and before it ended they were already looking up tickets to the next one. Electric atmosphere. Anyone with half a soul would have been into that game.

Yeah, they commentated on that on Extra Time Radio. On TV, it was likely a crap game of soccer. But in the stadium, it was amazing.

not to toot my own horn but im basically just as fast without spinning as the morons who spin. you also get a ton more accuracy. #supplewrists

I use the palm method - essentially a spin that starts at the finger tips and is abruptly stopped at the base of the palm.

Hand and handle never lose contact.

I mistyped the description -- starts at bar of fingers, ends at bottom of palm.
60 - 80 degrees around.

I was thrown off by a creepy double length table.

60 - 80 degrees around.

I was thrown off by a creepy double length table.

Jeeze that is creepy

39997295_319747255439927_8151539970062942208_n.png

40102393_278314262994878_1947314476671827968_n.png

Can you imagine if back in 2016 we had that kind of game vs RB instead of the wedding? What kind of a difference would that have made...

Can you imagine if back in 2016 we had that kind of game vs RB instead of the wedding? What kind of a difference would that have made...

Yeah, I was heckling BWP and he responds with 7 fingers. That was one game, 2 years ago. And they haven't won at Yankee Stadium since then. Let them live in the past.

I'm happy with the result as it was an amazing performance, but can you imagine if we had won with 9 men. Does that make the red wedding completely go away? What's worse, 7 goals or getting beat by a team with 9 players.

Surprised this Red Bulls fan could hold his beer with all the pearls he was clutching.

Did you read his entire thread of posts? He’s insufferable and hilarious to see he’s inquiring how much money changed hands to get BlueManGroup to the stands. Does he realize his team is Owned by Red Bull Energy Drink - that was a couple hundred million dollar infomercial!!!!