NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2021

Always with some detachment/embarrassment. But I mean, they were the only game in town. Was always looking for, waiting for, an NYC team. Was on board from day one.
This.

Is it really so bad to have been a fan of a team and then to switch allegiance when a new team is formed in your own backyard, the place you consider home?

If it is, I'll have to give up my member card. I was a NJ fan. Loved Thierry Henry and Dax McCarty and Medhi Bellouchy before he was with NYCFC. Loved the season their top starting XI represented 11 different nations.

But then NYCFC was announced. A team I could actually reasonably go to see. A team that represented NY, not NJ (says the lifelong Bills fan who has always named them the only NY football team).

I don't know my number, but I know that when they had a giveaway (can't remember what) a few seasons back for the first 300 people to sign up for season tickets, I was one of them.

We have a LOT of former NJRB fans. And former Rev fans. And former Philly fans. Basically, we have a lot of people who were NYers (and CTers and even NJers) who were into soccer before 2013. I'm cool with that. I'm happy to own it.

This.

Is it really so bad to have been a fan of a team and then to switch allegiance when a new team is formed in your own backyard, the place you consider home?

If it is, I'll have to give up my member card. I was a NJ fan. Loved Thierry Henry and Dax McCarty and Medhi Bellouchy before he was with NYCFC. Loved the season their top starting XI represented 11 different nations.

But then NYCFC was announced. A team I could actually reasonably go to see. A team that represented NY, not NJ (says the lifelong Bills fan who has always named them the only NY football team).

I don't know my number, but I know that when they had a giveaway (can't remember what) a few seasons back for the first 300 people to sign up for season tickets, I was one of them.

We have a LOT of former NJRB fans. And former Rev fans. And former Philly fans. Basically, we have a lot of people who were NYers (and CTers and even NJers) who were into soccer before 2013. I'm cool with that. I'm happy to own it.
Yep. Switch the names to Revs and Dempsey/Twellman/Joseph and that’s pretty much my story.

I’ll add that ownership/management matters. No owner taking my money has a right to expect me to care more than they do. I gave up waiting on the Krafts. I soured on the Mets because the Wilpons were clowns. I’ve been in and out on the Rangers at times.
I’ve stuck with this club because year in amd year out the product has been among the most attractive in the league, even when we were crapping out early. For sure they have tested my patience at times and the stadium is still a huge issue, but for me YS>RBA and Gillette by far. I now think we are better off waiting for a well-sited well thought out Stadium than something like RBA or a plastic pitch Jets share. Stadiums in NYC are hard.

Yep. Switch the names to Revs and Dempsey/Twellman/Joseph and that’s pretty much my story.

Name checks out heh.

Also, for all those people who say people jumped ship... What do you think happened when teams formed in the early 1900's and late 1800's? And all the various london teams? I mean come on, the "jump ship" argument is just petty.

Reactions: Revfugee and Kjbert
Talles Magno story in the Sun, mostly about the Macro soccer market with TM as an anecdotal reference point.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH