NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2021

It’s extremely sad and disappointing that it takes an MLB work stoppage and NYCFC reaching the championship to get something this team should have had from the beginning from its broadcast partner.

Luckily this issue should be resolved by 2023 based on what Garber talked about yesterday.

Reactions: Kjbert and canchon
This is not fair. YES has been doing shows somewhat regularly since last season. They did a bunch of stuff during the pandemic, they did a playoff preview last year, they did a season preview this year ... maybe if more people watched they'd do more. They've definitely increased the visibility of their NYCFC coverage over the last year or two.
At minimum, they should have a weekly show.

Reactions: Kjbert
and some more from our favorite mls pundit

The pundits at mls dot com are actively known for making predictions and being wrong most of the time. So here’s to Doyle making another one!

The pundits at mls dot com are actively known for making predictions and being wrong most of the time. So here’s to Doyle making another one!
Almost everyone picking Portland seems to cite home field as the reason, tacitly or explicitly acknowledging that the game is otherwise a toss-up (and that maybe NYCFC is in fact better). Given MLS HFA, it's not irrational to pick a lesser team at home.

Which leads me to this article:

MLS Away teams win 25% of the time. In trying to figure out what underlying factor sets the Away wns apart from all the Away losses (and after moving past the obvious and not very insightful truth that Home teams tend to score more goals), he considers and rejects a lot of possibilities. The distinguishing factor is NOT:
  • more shots
  • more shots on goal
  • creating more expected goals
  • outperforming your expected goals (ie finishing better)
Instead, the difference maker seems to be getting, on average, better high probability shots, regardless of how many. Away teams win when their average (or median) xG per shot is higher than the Home team. He finds this holds even when the Home team takes a lot of shots and accumulates higher xG than the Away team. The best road teams in MLS this year were New England, the Sounders, and Colorado. This stat holds for all of them. Basically, on the road, the key is, get some very high quality opportunities to pull up your xG per shot average, and don't allow the same for the Home team. But you can let the home guys shoot and shoot if they're doing so to accumulate a lot of low probability shots from distance, or with defenders nearby, and not in transition, etc.

I'm not 100% sold on causality here as opposed to just correlation, but it's an interesting read and the author really lays out his data and reasoning. It would probably feel more satisfying and easier to implement a strategy if the answer had been more SOGs or more xGs. Getting a higher average xG regardless of totals seems kind of indirect, though it does suggest some areas of focus for both offense and, I think, especially defense. Finally, in any given single game, eg MLS Cup, the tendencies and usually-this-happens factors can all get thrown out the window.

Last edited:
Almost everyone picking Portland seems to cite home field as the reason, tacitly or explicitly acknowledging that the game is otherwise a toss-up (and that maybe NYCFC is in fact better). Given MLS HFA, it's not irrational to pick a lesser team at home.

Which leads me to this article:

MLS Away teams win 25% of the time. In trying to figure out what underlying factor sets the Away wns apart from all the Away losses (and after moving past the obvious and not very insightful truth that Home teams tend to score more goals), he considers and rejects a lot of possibilities. The distinguishing factor is NOT:
  • more shots
  • more shots on goal
  • creating more expected goals
  • outperforming your expected goals (ie finishing better)
Instead, the difference maker seems to be getting, on average, better high probability shots, regardless of how many. Away teams win when their average (or median) xG per shot is higher than the Home team. He finds this holds even when the Home team takes a lot of shots and accumulates higher xG than the Away team. The best road teams in MLS this year were New England, the Sounders, and Colorado. This stat holds for all of them. Basically, on the road, the key is, get some very high quality opportunities to pull up your xG per shot average, and don't allow the same for the Home team. But you can let the home guys shoot and shoot if they're doing so to accumulate a lot of low probability shots from distance, or with defenders nearby, and not in transition, etc.

I'm not 100% sold on causality here as opposed to just correlation, but it's an interesting read and the author really lays out his data and reasoning. It would probably feel more satisfying and easier to implement a strategy if the answer had been more SOGs or more xGs. Getting a higher average xG regardless of totals seems kind of indirect, though it does suggest some areas of focus for both offense and, I think, especially defense. Finally, in any given single game, eg MLS Cup, the tendencies and usually-this-happens factors can all get thrown out the window.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the stats show that we are exactly the type of team that should win on the road? We give up very few high quality chances and consistently create 2 or 3 high quality chances of our own when Taty is on the pitch!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the stats show that we are exactly the type of team that should win on the road? We give up very few high quality chances and consistently create 2 or 3 high quality chances of our own when Taty is on the pitch!
Maybe? I We all know the xGD is in high positive territory, but I have not done or seen a breakdown of average xG per shot. We take a lot of shots. Taty takes a ridiculous amount of shots. Maybe the average is not that high and we mostly accumulate via shooting a lot, and then who knows what the H/A breakdown is. Or maybe we both shoot often and get high quality chances.

I do expect, without knowing, that our average xG per shot allowed should be low.
OTOH, Portland is a counter team, and transition shots are worth more xG, all else being equal, so ___?

Sands, Gudi, Johnson, and Ronny interviews...

some portland players and gio too. so skip through if you don't want to hear those parts. it's a long one..

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe? I We all know the xGD is in high positive territory, but I have not done or seen a breakdown of average xG per shot. We take a lot of shots. Taty takes a ridiculous amount of shots. Maybe the average is not that high and we mostly accumulate via shooting a lot, and then who knows what the H/A breakdown is. Or maybe we both shoot often and get high quality chances.

I do expect, without knowing, that our average xG per shot allowed should be low.
OTOH, Portland is a counter team, and transition shots are worth more xG, all else being equal, so ___?
On the psychology end, I wonder how much this is a proxy for measuring confidence or calm or something like that. Away players who are more nervous or angry (than they are at home) will snap off stupid long range or high traffic shots, lose possession, rarely score. The home team, being more at ease in their surroundings, might be more patient (than they are on the road) allowing the play to further develop to get the higher xG shot.

On the physical end, this seems like it would jive with knowing your sight lines leading to more precise final third passing which ultimately creates higher xG chances.

"Sims was asked if he’s pleased with how the Yankees have been as a partner. He paused for about three seconds before beginning his answer."

I would assume that agenda item 1A for CFG as soon as the new Etihad Island is open is to buy the Yankees out of their stake.

It's a very good piece. I love the pressing of Sims on the partnership with the Yankees and the quotes regarding Eric Adams. I will provide two small clarifications and one additional note I just tweeted out:
  • "The Yankees and Maddd Equities nixed the vote at the 11th hour because of a dispute over parking "
    • This sentiment is correct, but technically EDC nixed the vote. EDC pulled the vote because it was clear that not everyone was on the same page regarding the term sheet. Because the Yankees wanted last minute changes.
  • "with BPDC now more than $150 million in debt to the city and bondholders."
    • I guess this just depends on what you're counting as in debt to the city and bondholders. The below from BPDC's latest annual report shows they have over $437m in debt. $149m of debt not related to bonds.
    • 1639150075906.png
  • Added note: In September of this year, the club did begin lobbying Eric Adams and governor Kathy Hocul.