NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2022

Taty was nominated for best MLS player but Carlos Vela won it for some unknown reason.
Lol, was this for 2019? Vela had 5 goals last year in ~1200 minutes. So many better choices even if you exclude Taty: Gil, Ruidiaz, Mukhtar. Vela doesn't even deserve a nomination.
2020,2021 and 2022:
Vela 15 goals 14 assists
Taty 42 goals 11 assists
Only one of them with an MLS cup.

Last edited:
I know power rankings don't actually mean anything but I was annoyed to see ESPN somehow still place us at 19 yesterday. During the tailspin I totally would have got it but after the cup win and two straight in league play seems ridiculous to me. MLS.com had us all the way back up to fourth today. Big difference.

I know power rankings don't actually mean anything but I was annoyed to see ESPN somehow still place us at 19 yesterday. During the tailspin I totally would have got it but after the cup win and two straight in league play seems ridiculous to me. MLS.com had us all the way back up to fourth today. Big difference.
Same. There are teams below the playoff line above us.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
So is this confirmed Apple will NOT have a local presence???

There are no more local broadcasters. All broadcasters for Apple will be national guys. A team will do Columbus-Miami one week and NYCFC-New England the next. Everything exclusive to apple and not on TV, aside from a few games a year on ESPN and FS1.

nope, every broadcast in other markets were doing their thank you's and goodbyes to their audiences. at least it seems the on screen talents wont be there.

i dont know details on the MLS deal but i hope its not like USL on ESPN+ where i think like 90% of their games are broadcast and narrated from a studio in tampa, which really messes up with the local audio and other production issues i noticed.

There are no more local broadcasters. All broadcasters for Apple will be national guys. A team will do Columbus-Miami one week and NYCFC-New England the next. Everything exclusive to apple and not on TV, aside from a few games a year on ESPN and FS1.
While this has been hinted at by third party reports, MLS/Apple have not yet confirmed any of this yet, to my knowledge. Some people are holding out hope for secondary audio options or sublicenses to local stations, although I think it's pretty clear at this point, with all these local broadcasters giving their good-bye, it's probably not going to happen.

While this has been hinted at by third party reports, MLS/Apple have not yet confirmed any of this yet, to my knowledge. Some people are holding out hope for secondary audio options or sublicenses to local stations, although I think it's pretty clear at this point, with all these local broadcasters giving their good-bye, it's probably not going to happen.

They said as part of the announcement that they will have local radio calls as a selectable option. So theoretically you could switch over to the local radio call

But every game is on Apple. And there windows. How can they be in two or three places at once?

Brian Dunseth has stated repeatedly that he’s gone from local broadcasts but may get brought back by Apple.

But every game is on Apple. And there windows. How can they be in two or three places at once?

If they decide to call games from a centralized location, you could have a broadcast team call a 7pm game and a 10pm game.

Reactions: Kjbert
Brian Dunseth has stated repeatedly that he’s gone from local broadcasts but may get brought back by Apple.
I'm still holding out hope they're just waiting to see how the math shakes out. It's at least possible they have revenue targets which could trigger an expansion into team-specific coverage. If that's the case, and they hit their targets, maybe we'll see local booths return.

That might not mean Ian and Joe coming back. They may be under contract somewhere else by then.

Reactions: Kjbert
A few things I think I understand from the coverage I've read.
  • There will be a set of announcers to cover the games, but not a different set for each team. It will be like CBS or Fox covering the NFL. There will be enough crews to cover a weekend's worth of games, but not a different crew for each team.
  • Presumably, some crews could become the default announcers for a particular team - much as Greg Gumbel always seems to call the Jets games on NBC.
  • MLS is primarily responsible for producing the games. So, the league will likely have input into decisions on hiring the crews and may have primary responsibility for picking them. They haven't announced any hires yet.
  • Announcers who had been covering local teams are in the mix to be hired. In fact, it would be a surprise if they didn't recruit mainly from this group. They are the best candidates, with strong knowledge of the league.
  • There is no reason to believe that announcers won't be on site at the games.