NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2021

The note at the end of the Athletic piece is funny:

We are not planning on playing any games at RBA -- HOWEVER -- if we win MLS Cup, the Campeones Cup game will force us to move a regular-season game from Yankee Stadium to Red Bull Arena. That would be the only game at RBA. Presumably means we would play Campeones Cup at Yankee Stadium.

Pretty funny.

The note at the end of the Athletic piece is funny:

We are not planning on playing any games at RBA -- HOWEVER -- if we win MLS Cup, the Campeones Cup game will force us to move a regular-season game from Yankee Stadium to Red Bull Arena. That would be the only game at RBA. Presumably means we would play Campeones Cup at Yankee Stadium.

Pretty funny.

i aint mad at them playing that friendly cup over there. but i know if they win the mls cup the CCL will for sure be at RBA as well so he lying on that part.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
"Sims was asked if he’s pleased with how the Yankees have been as a partner. He paused for about three seconds before beginning his answer."

I would assume that agenda item 1A for CFG as soon as the new Etihad Island is open is to buy the Yankees out of their stake.

Sims' actual answer, though, pretty strongly undercuts that interpretation. Maybe what he said is all BS, but I think more likely it's just that the relationship, while still productive, has been under some strain.

After leaving YS I see the one big way that the Yankees will be involved is through Legends. Which is probably the last way I wish this club was tied to the Yankees Org. As someone who used to work for legends at a concert hall further north I can attest they were making hand over fist in really absurd pricing. It was a while ago so I can’t remember the exact number but I think my coworkers told me that during a Dave Matthews weekend (two shows) we had made 3 million dollars in food and drink sales alone.

Last edited:
I recommend checking out the Total Soccer Show this week where the stadium came up. Little more context in the conversation than the article. But sounds like Sims was adamant about a stadium by 2026. And that they are considering another site in the Bronx and of course Willets Point. And that they had all their eggs in this one basket for two years.

Sorry if it’s already been mention. Just listened to Extra Time and Wiebe said at the end of the show that there is a great chance that in market black outs will be a thing of the past in the new deal (not guaranteed). Would be great for a few of us.

the only issue is that i heard there can be multiple players asking for those local market rights. My concern is that it gets split so one week i have to watch it on paramount+ then other week its on amazon prime and third week on peacock. that is also not ideal.

we will see what happens but this is for 2023 and on.

Reactions: Kjbert and JCMore
After leaving YS I see the one big way that the Yankees will be involved is through Legends. Which is probably the last way I wish this club was tied to the Yankees Org. As someone who used to work for legends at a concert hall further north I can attest they were making hand over fist in really absurd pricing. It was a while ago so I can’t remember the exact number but I think my coworkers told me that during a Dave Matthews weekend (two shows) we had made 3 million dollars in food and drink sales alone.
butwhy.gif
After we leave Yankee Stadium, the Yankees are literally useless to us. Wouldn't CFG using their infinite money to buy the Yankees out and thereby both retain 100% of the concession profits (or making whatever deal they want with whomever) and also capturing all of the appreciating value of the franchise be a better deal for them than holding on to a dead weight partner?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Legends has infrastructure. But how difficult would it be to have their own concession partner?

Who controls Citi Field? Sysco?

That GIF!
Disappointed it wasn't this one...
giphy.gif

Reactions: canchon and Kjbert