Nycfc Signs Mikey Lopez On Waivers Previously Of Skc

from SKC fan site:
Lopez was a Generation Adidas prospect and a former first round pick for Sporting Kansas City in 2013. His contract, as well as his Generation Adidas status, ran out following the 2014 season, which meant his contract would have counted against the salary cap if he had re-signed. He made $100k base salary with $170k in total in 2015.

Lopez never really found form with Sporting KC, going on loan to Orlando City and Oklahoma City Energy FC He was the third option for center midfield behind Roger Espinoza and Paulo Nagamura; with the addition of Jordi Quintilla, Lopez became the odd man out.

Since Nagamura re-signed this offseason, Sporting KC has healthy depth in the central midfield with Espinoza's position bolstered by Nagamura and Quintilla.

from SKC fan site:
Lopez was a Generation Adidas prospect and a former first round pick for Sporting Kansas City in 2013. His contract, as well as his Generation Adidas status, ran out following the 2014 season, which meant his contract would have counted against the salary cap if he had re-signed. He made $100k base salary with $170k in total in 2015.

Lopez never really found form with Sporting KC, going on loan to Orlando City and Oklahoma City Energy FC He was the third option for center midfield behind Roger Espinoza and Paulo Nagamura; with the addition of Jordi Quintilla, Lopez became the odd man out.

Since Nagamura re-signed this offseason, Sporting KC has healthy depth in the central midfield with Espinoza's position bolstered by Nagamura and Quintilla.
If he is in the same general mold as Nagamura and Espinoza in terms of what he brings, feels like a nice complimentary signing. I also generally like the idea of getting "post-hype" guys who didn't develop but are still pretty young if the cost is right.

It is tough to evaluate the specific players Reyna/Vieira are bringing in, but there clearly seems to be a good, targeted strategy for plugging holes. I find it very encouraging assuming they close out the CB signing.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
If on waivers, I am assuming we got him for slightly less than his $100K ?

Reactions: Kjbert
I'd have to imagine that a lot of younger players are classified as midfielders, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being another mid. He will be evaluated and put in the right scenario. If his play is defensive..that is a huge bonus though, we need help there desperately. We never know how these signings will work out, but you gotta applaud the effort.

I like this signing. Jacobson needs competition, personally I hope he takes the job from him.

You and me both. I am and have never been an AJ fan. He is not a defensive midfielder. I'm fine with him as a back up though. Didn't he log some of the most minutes last year? Ridiculous.

Im fucking pumped about this signing. This is a great pick up. He's young and a CDM... Perfect. We've addressed 2 huge weaknesses in a winger and a CDM on the cheap recently I'm very happy right now.

If he can earn playing time, I can imagine a guy like Lopez to be a nightmare for a guy like Giovinco if we just have him man-mark all game long. No technical skill required to just run run run all day long and chip at someone's ankles.

I so much prefer this approach of filling spots with kids with upside and allowing PV to work his magic, as compared to signing grizzled vets and journeymen.
Chris Wingert is a player you build around.
020714-Soccer-Jason-Kreis-PI2.vresize.1200.675.high.1.jpg

In agreement with a lot of the previous posts. Great signing and I've always liked what I've seen from him in his JMNT appearances ( granted it's only about five appearnces).

Not a high ceiling, but seems to be composed and plays within himself when in possesion. Closes down space, and isn't afraid to stick a leg in on defense.

Given the money and potential for growth, you have to respect the signing.

Keep in mind, when we signed Poku last offseason, it was an under-the-radar type of signing such as Lopez. A young, unproven player who is looking for that one opportunity in the right system to showcase their skills.

Not putting the pressure on Lopez to make such an immediate impact in his first season with NYC such as Poku, but you have to wonder, with our remaining domestic signings if we'll strike gold with one of them. Lopez's situation is a good one as he fills an area of need for us so I'm sure he'll be given several opportunities to make an impact. Would love for this kid to blow it out of the water with his first few appearances that we'll be yelling his name in the stands for PV to sub him in...just like Poku.