Nycfc Signs Mikey Lopez On Waivers Previously Of Skc

Before I saw the first comment here, I watched the video on the club's Facebook stream. Then I read the comments. At the time there were 3 ignorant comments making the same stupid joke about how we don't talk like that here. Three. Out of then a dozen total comments . When you discard the spam, maybe half the comments were negative. To our new player. Making fun of how he talks. That's not clever, or good-hearted teasing. That's piling-on groupthink. I specifically thought to myself "thank goodness the forum is better than these FB jerks." I was disappointed to be disappointed.

He's one of us. He's also both Texan and Mexican. If he threw in a Mexican colloquialism nobody would joke about how we don't speak like that in NY, but he sounds more Tex than Mex so everybody pile on. He's the exact same guy either way.

NYers like to pretend we're tolerant, but we just otherize different groups.

View attachment 3889

In the spirit of the south, bless your heart.

And thus subtlety is lost in the interwebs.

My apologies to any I offended.

I was actually trying to express what I think is an ironic truism about NY. That we are quite open to foreign accents. It's who we are and what we're made of. But we are probably more hostile to a southern US accent than anything else. At the same time, we have one of the most extreme accents known to the English language in those of Brooklyn.

I think my irony was lost. In case anyone is uncertain, I'm thrilled to have Mikey on the team, Southern, Texan, or anything else he might be.

And if people were spewing anything like honest distaste on Facebook, well, fuck em. It's a great reminder why I never go there.
No. I got it. I replied to your post as a jumping off point, not a rebuttal. Later I realized everyone probably thought the opposite. Cheers.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Can we all just agree there is nothing 'wrong' with an accent. It sounds different from what we're used to for sure. Maybe some people poke fun because it is different. Just a little New York ball breaking. Was there any hate in any of the accent comments? No.

This thread reminds me of a routine I heard from a female comedian. She was telling the story of a conversation with her brother after she had returned from a show in South Carolina. She imitated her brother in a thick Long Island accent: "How can you stand dose people down dere... They sound like dere so... focking... stoopid!"

More like 5-6. I didn't really look like that even when I took it. It's been an extremely inside joke that only I get for that to be my twitter avatar because in truth I have never looked that cool.

You were that cool when you sat in 229 under the cover,
you won't be sitting in the sun during that July 3rd day game in those new seats.

Reactions: mgarbowski
And thus subtlety is lost in the interwebs.

My apologies to any I offended.

I was actually trying to express what I think is an ironic truism about NY. That we are quite open to foreign accents. It's who we are and what we're made of. But we are probably more hostile to a southern US accent than anything else. At the same time, we have one of the most extreme accents known to the English language in those of Brooklyn.

I think my irony was lost. In case anyone is uncertain, I'm thrilled to have Mikey on the team, Southern, Texan, or anything else he might be.

And if people were spewing anything like honest distaste on Facebook, well, fuck em. It's a great reminder why I never go there.
As someone with a Southern accent that I've never lost, I have to say that it's a pretty spectacular differentiator, and I think it's been advantageous. And based on my single days, your women love it.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
As someone who's lived in enough places that everyone thinks I talk funny, I still have disdain for anyone who pronounces Houston Street like it's a city in Texas or when I lived in London and I was asked how to get to "Lye-chester" Square. Does that make me a bad person?

Reactions: LionNYC and Kjbert
As someone with a Southern accent that I've never lost, I have to say that it's a pretty spectacular differentiator, and I think it's been advantageous. And based on my single days, your women love it.
Ah yes. The accent's allure on women. This is an entirely different conversation.

Ok so besides how good/bad his accent is............................does anyone know how good this kid actually is?

Scouting reports from Reddit:

...not disciplined enough to be a back line protector. However, he's got a ton of upside as a shuttler. In 2015 he mainly played in Espinoza's role as a kind of advanced destroyer/box to box hybrid.

His weaknesses were that he fouled a LOT in reckless ways if he ended up in bad positioning, he tended to drift out of position a fair amount, and that he was a horrible finisher despite finding space in the box.

His strengths were that he never seemed to tire, he didn't give the ball away cheaply, he provided pretty solid link-up play between the DM and the attacking players, and he had enough pace to cover his mistakes.

If given less "seek and destroy" responsibility defensively in favor of being able to link Pirlo with the attack and cover the holes Pirlo's movements can create with the help of another shuttler I think he'll be fantastic.

My impression of Mikey from the few appearances he made last year:
  • Tons of pace
  • Often runs out of position
  • Decent footwork and technique
I liked him, but losing his GA status and pushing his pay under the cap probably made him too expensive to keep around with more affordable prospects still on the roster. I hope he does well for NYC!

He never played d-mid for us that I can recall. He started in the 10 role once or twice, and the box-to-box 8 role the rest of the time. Never was he the 6 role d-mid. Everything I saw out of him was attack minded, and not all that special. His upside is that he's only 22, so he still has time to turn into a decent player.

Scouting reports from Reddit:
Great stuff. Thanks for tracking this down. From this, it sounds like he is a nice compliment to the types of players we have, but not the answer as a true 6 unless he develops more tactical discipline. This will be unpopular and so I'm ducking as I write this, but I read a see a fair number of similarities with Jacobson based on these reports. However, I'd much rather have that skill set in a 22 year old.

Reactions: Kjbert