Nycfc Signs Mikey Lopez On Waivers Previously Of Skc

Keep in mind, when we signed Poku last offseason, it was an under-the-radar type of signing such as Lopez. A young, unproven player who is looking for that one opportunity in the right system to showcase their skills.

Not putting the pressure on Lopez to make such an immediate impact in his first season with NYC such as Poku, but you have to wonder, with our remaining domestic signings if we'll strike gold with one of them. Lopez's situation is a good one as he fills an area of need for us so I'm sure he'll be given several opportunities to make an impact. Would love for this kid to blow it out of the water with his first few appearances that we'll be yelling his name in the stands for PV to sub him in...just like Poku.

I guess Lopez is going to be playing for a European giant in two years? The (New York) City Effect.

It could have just been an issue with him not being able to break into their lineup due to strength of it. He's not starting in front of Feilhaber if he's a CDM. And they probably figure they have a cheaper backup

Reactions: Fantazma
We're New Yorkers. Foreign accents are totally acceptable. But southern? Never!!!

Unless that's southern Brooklyn. In that case, it's the best accent there's ever been.

Before I saw the first comment here, I watched the video on the club's Facebook stream. Then I read the comments. At the time there were 3 ignorant comments making the same stupid joke about how we don't talk like that here. Three. Out of then a dozen total comments . When you discard the spam, maybe half the comments were negative. To our new player. Making fun of how he talks. That's not clever, or good-hearted teasing. That's piling-on groupthink. I specifically thought to myself "thank goodness the forum is better than these FB jerks." I was disappointed to be disappointed.

He's one of us. He's also both Texan and Mexican. If he threw in a Mexican colloquialism nobody would joke about how we don't speak like that in NY, but he sounds more Tex than Mex so everybody pile on. He's the exact same guy either way.

NYers like to pretend we're tolerant, but we just otherize different groups.

IMG_4545.PNG

It could have just been an issue with him not being able to break into their lineup due to strength of it. He's not starting in front of Feilhaber if he's a CDM. And they probably figure they have a cheaper backup

this seems to be the case but like other mentioned i hope this is the case where he goes all out. though he only played a few games for the USL teams he was loaned to. so who knows

I just had a vision of Mikey Lopez subbing in for a gassed Pirlo or Lampard in the 75th minute with NYCFC up one and flying around the field for 20 minutes breaking up attacks and being a pest.

Might just be my imagination after not seeing a game for 3 months.

Before I saw the first comment here, I watched the video on the club's Facebook stream. Then I read the comments. At the time there were 3 ignorant comments making the same stupid joke about how we don't talk like that here. Three. Out of then a dozen total comments . When you discard the spam, maybe half the comments were negative. To our new player. Making fun of how he talks. That's not clever, or good-hearted teasing. That's piling-on groupthink. I specifically thought to myself "thank goodness the forum is better than these FB jerks." I was disappointed to be disappointed.

He's one of us. He's also both Texan and Mexican. If he threw in a Mexican colloquialism nobody would joke about how we don't speak like that in NY, but he sounds more Tex than Mex so everybody pile on. He's the exact same guy either way.

View attachment 3889
Being from the south I never got the whole accent thing. Most of don't have an accent in Florida as its a massive melting pot but no one really cares. In fact if you have any accent at all here it's a huge turn on for the ladies. My brother > me. He came to the US at a later age and has an accent and I don't. Always gets compliments on it

I just had a vision of Mikey Lopez subbing in for a gassed Pirlo or Lampard in the 75th minute with NYCFC up one and flying around the field for 20 minutes breaking up attacks and being a pest.

Might just be my imagination after not seeing a game for 3 months.

whether he's the guy who does this or not, we need a player to do just that.

Reactions: Sabo
I'd say its harmless teasing. I've never seen anyone be malicious about an accent. More like, you're not in kansas anymore, haha.
Yeah, this. Not sure teasing a guy about Y'all is a reason to be getting on a high horse.

I have a european friend that moved to texas and he picked up he habit of saying Y'all and i tease him all the time about it. and he teases me about being a damn yankee. He's european! Its just a fun little game.

Now, I didn't see the facebook comments, so I'm not really sure what was on there, and I do agree we shouldn't be making fun of players, especially new ones, but was what LionNYC LionNYC really making fun of him? I mean....
That's a lot of y'all for a guy playing in New York.
I don't really see how the above is ignorant.

Reactions: hatt91 and dannd23
I don't care if a player doesn't even speak English as long as he performs on the field.

I was really happy to hear the y'alls, as I'm prone to using them pretty often.
I probably was a bit unfair in jumping on LionNYC LionNYC, and my second post probably comes off as more directed against FootyLovin FootyLovin than it was meant to be. I was - as my second post indicated - mostly pissed off at the FB comments and then disappointed to see anything even remotely similar here. But clearly LionNYC LionNYC's post was less hostile than theirs. But I engaged here because, really, trying to school anyone on a public FB comment section is a fool's game.

I probably was a bit unfair in jumping on LionNYC LionNYC, and my second post probably comes off as more directed against FootyLovin FootyLovin than it was meant to be. I was - as my second post indicated - mostly pissed off at the FB comments and then disappointed to see anything even remotely similar here. But clearly LionNYC LionNYC's post was less hostile than theirs. But I engaged here because, really, trying to school anyone on a public FB comment section is a fool's game.
And thus subtlety is lost in the interwebs.

My apologies to any I offended.

I was actually trying to express what I think is an ironic truism about NY. That we are quite open to foreign accents. It's who we are and what we're made of. But we are probably more hostile to a southern US accent than anything else. At the same time, we have one of the most extreme accents known to the English language in those of Brooklyn.

I think my irony was lost. In case anyone is uncertain, I'm thrilled to have Mikey on the team, Southern, Texan, or anything else he might be.

And if people were spewing anything like honest distaste on Facebook, well, fuck em. It's a great reminder why I never go there.

And thus subtlety is lost in the interwebs.

My apologies to any I offended.

I was actually trying to express what I think is an ironic truism about NY. That we are quite open to foreign accents. It's who we are and what we're made of. But we are probably more hostile to a southern US accent than anything else. At the same time, we have one of the most extreme accents known to the English language in those of Brooklyn.

I think my irony was lost. In case anyone is uncertain, I'm thrilled to have Mikey on the team, Southern, Texan, or anything else he might be.

And if people were spewing anything like honest distaste on Facebook, well, fuck em. It's a great reminder why I never go there.
Philly and Boston are far worse than southern.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Philly and Boston are far worse than southern.
Nothing wrong with a Philly accent - them's some hard working good peoples that made two of the three greatest hot sandwiches ever (Cheese Steak & Broccoli Rab/Roast Pork) second only to The Tribe's Pastrami Sandwich.

Now a Boston accent is just uncouth.

Reactions: Gavin23

View attachment 3889

My wife is from the south so I have lived with "y'alls" and "fix'n to" for years. Still make fun of her.
Only 3 out of 12 negative comments is a love fest in NY. Aand up date that Photo next to your name, it's got to be 20 years old

Reactions: mgarbowski