RBNY Postgame

Sometimes you walk away from anger for the sake of sanity. It will present itself, when Saunders starts again, when Mikey is in the 18, when we step foot back on our piece of shit home field. You have to walk away from 7-0.
^^This
I took every minute of my drive back up to Albany to try to decompress. Decided to stop into Woodbury Commons to drown my sorrows since I was driving and couldn't drown them in scotch...... It worked..... kinda..... until my wife see's the credit card bills..... made sure to get her something nice so she wouldn't mind...;);)

Ran into another NYCFC supporter doing the same thing..... LOL

After reviewing the match on DVR I have to agree with Midas that the majority of the blame for this result lies with PV.

Making zero tactical changes when your team is being dominated across multiple axes (pressure, aerial challenges, midfield space, set pieces) is utterly baffling and infuriating.

Addendum: given that the top five teams in the East are separated by two points, and that Philly has two games in hand, our newfound -6 GD could end up killing us.

Last edited:
I have never been so thankful that my wife scheduled a weekend event forcing me to miss a game. I watched the first half and didn't bother with the rest.

We know the team is better than that game. The whole season to this point has demonstrated it. After all, we are still ahead of New Jersey in the standings.

So, how does this happen? Bad matchup, bad preparation, bad energy, all those contributed, but they don't explain 7-0. That happens because the team loses its focus and lets the game get away from them - completely. Soccer can be like that. There are no timeouts, and you can't just sub out the players. Things can snowball. Don't believe me, ask a Brazilian.

I honestly think our guys got distracted by the physicality of the game and the fact that dumbshit ref was only carding one team. They were upset about the fouls and the calls and weren't focused on what they should have been. The Red Bulls, to their credit, were properly focused. The fact that New Jersey were already up a goal and have the upper hand in the rivalry didn't help. Once a couple more went in, all bets were off.

There are two risks here. First, that they are totally in our heads. I don't think today happens if that wasn't already to some extent the case. This may make things worse. Second, we can't let this derail what has been a positive season up to now. I worry this could lead to a lack of confidence or, worse, infighting. Hopefully not, as those could kill the season.
Oh, they own our players. It is now officially a massive problem. The fact that our manager sent out a game plan that relied on a shitty unskilled midfielder doing something he is entirely incapable of is another question.

I had a big fear we would drop this 2 or 3 to 0 when I heard all of our pussy footing media. But 7-0 wasn't in my wildest dreams. CFG as an organization lack heart, and it shows in our squad and in others. Since Hughes was fired, they haven't won shit as an organization when they weren't head and shoulders more talented.

This loss is one that stamps our club with a scarlet letter. I won't be disappointed or surprised if attendance drops markedly. It should. This is an unmitigated travesty.

Reactions: Paul and Sabo
It's one game. A horrible game, but just one.

If it's a sign that the season is about to go to shit, then that (the season) is the unmitigated travesty. If the players put this behind them and fight on, then it will be a stain that fades with time.

If it's a sign that the season is about to go to shit, then that (the season) is the unmitigated travesty. If the players put this behind them and fight on, then it will be a stain that fades with time.
It's one game. One game where we gave up 7 goals and didn't change a damn thing. I can't be copacetic. We got mushroom-stamped while Patty walked around whistling show tunes for all I know. At least I guess that's what he was doing. He sure as hell didn't manage the team.

patrick-vieira-21.jpg

I don't think we will ever let this game down... In 10 years when we are playing NJ who ever (cause at that point they probably won't be the red bulls any more) they will still be pulling out clips from this game in pre-game shows...

It's not an excuse, but the travel and scheduling could have been a contributing factor.

Who the hell schedules this game as the end of a 3 games in 7 days, after playing the MLS champion all the way across the country and then one of the top teams in the East on the road. Meanwhile RBNY was playing at DC and then at home against possibly the worst team in the league. Even PV said he had no time for preparation.

The Orlando game will be telling.

My favorite moment of the match was when they announced super frank Lampard and everyone was booing him and on tv when they closed in on him he have a look of complete confusion that said, "wait... How could they boo me? I'm better than sliced bread."

the fact that this was even allowed to happen in the first place is a reflection on Vieira and the team as a whole. Its simple, in this self proclaimed derby, you do whatever it takes to not lose. not only did we lose, we lost in a humiliating fashion which could have been avoided with proper preparation for such a match, having a lineup that would allow us to get the most out of our players for such a big game and to NOT lose 7-0, at home. we lost 2-0 whatever it was last season, fine, we held our own. we didnt get blown out like we did today.
there was no urgency. no leadership. no understanding from this team today. PV put out a lineup that looked like it had just met in Flushing Meadow Park for the first time and only 4 of the players had ever played soccer before

Reactions: Gavin23
If Lloyd Sam was playing with the same quality as last year it would have been 10-0.

He squandered 3 perfect chances. Let that sink in.

Just blown away how bad this was.
Well, if we had a legitimate ref, Sam should have been watching from the locker room. Studs up on the knee is a red plus extra games.

RB still would have beaten us 4-0 playing down a man, but the ref was utter shit today.

When I think of this game, forget about tactics, it's who wanted, Dax McCarty is 5'8 n had two headed goals off corners, the tactics didn't even kill us til the game was over already, they just wanted it more and got to every loose ball
The shortest player in the box should never be the one getting the header. NYCFC hasn't defended a good corner all year - whichever coach is responsible for set pieces - and this includes every free kick/corner that we take that doesn't even get crossed towards the goal - should be relieved of their duties effective immediately because they either don't understand conceptually what to do or they can't convey what needs to be done. No team is ever so inept at set pieces so regularly.

***yes, we've had a few brilliant corner kicks this year, like basketball plays, but those don't outweigh the number that aren't even kicked into the box because passing laterally makes so much sense.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
Can Harrison play as the CAM in the midfield 3? Could McNamara?

It's obvious we can't play this formation at home. Garth Crooks railed on about it on the radio. Maybe we need to pack the midfield at home.

Rodney Marsh said Saunders was shit. Said he looked like his feet were set in concrete. I agree. He looked extra slow today.

Lampard made a comment that if the fans boo because he's injured, there's nothing he can do about it. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm shocked at his ignorance. You're booed because you didn't show up last year. Everything else after that, injuries included, is on you.