Red Bulls - Postmatch

The locker room ain’t so family-like today.... (and Ring isn’t wrong).

Between ALL the finger pointing on the pitch, PV throwing the team under the bus, Villa not shaking PVs hand when subbed and then pouting on the bench, PV losing it vs the Moss twins, and Ring publically calling out Villa in this quote, there’s a lot to clean up internally. And those are only the public displays - no idea what’s going on behind closed doors.
I'm going to suggest a counter-reading of Ring's remarks. Maybe he wasn't calling out Villa, even indirectly, as much as the entire team for lack of effort. "We didn't bring our passion or energy that we used to bring, so we can come here and play flick-on's and shit like that and this happens."
We're reading this as the flick-on is the key element of the sentence, but what if the main point is the first entire clause:
"We didn't bring our passion or energy that we used to bring..." Read this way, the problem is not Villa's flick, but that Maxi was slow running after it (he was) and the defense was a shambles after it was intercepted. The point then is we can't do flicks and other fun shit we like unless we also put in the effort. There's still a dig at Villa read this way, but even less direct within a full team indictment.

I don't know that this is the correct reading. But I do think we've been a bit hasty in jumping to a Ring/Villa locker room rift.

I'm going to suggest a counter-reading of Ring's remarks. Maybe he wasn't calling out Villa, even indirectly, as much as the entire team for lack of effort. "We didn't bring our passion or energy that we used to bring, so we can come here and play flick-on's and shit like that and this happens."
We're reading this as the flick-on is the key element of the sentence, but what if the main point is the first entire clause:
"We didn't bring our passion or energy that we used to bring..." Read this way, the problem is not Villa's flick, but that Maxi was slow running after it (he was) and the defense was a shambles after it was intercepted. The point then is we can't do flicks and other fun shit we like unless we also put in the effort. There's still a dig at Villa read this way, but even less direct within a full team indictment.

I don't know that this is the correct reading. But I do think we've been a bit hasty in jumping to a Ring/Villa locker room rift.
That's exactly the way to read it. This wasn't calling out Villa at all. "flick-ons and shit like that"

Maybe.

But Villa has a less that savory success rate with his flick-ons in the Defensive half. Ring was calling out the team for a lack of energy and specificyVilla for his tricks - nobody else on the team is known for risky flicks on a game to game basis. For me, Ring was definitely calling out the general team and the specific player, if not the specific player then he could have said something along the lines of “we didn’t bring our passion or energy that we used to bring, so that we could lose every 50/50 ball and chase the plays.”

Reactions: Christopher Jee
It's also entirely possible that the comment about flick-ons is a running joke from training, or otherwise something that he knew Villa would see differently given the context of how they get on together. A lot of players don't just interact at training, they spend half their lives at each others' houses or going out socially together - these guys will know each other really quite well and should generally know what's going to push each others' buttons and what won't.

On the other hand, it was an interview after a very bad result, where tempers might well have been fraying, and if Kyle Schnitzer was there to hear the comments then he knows what tone of voice was used where we don't, so it could go either way.

So I guess what I'm really saying is...I guess that there's a ton of inference and nuance to analysing comments like this, and as a result I tend to steer clear of assuming hostile intent until it becomes absolutely certain there is some (not least because it makes my life way less stressful to not constantly be assuming that everyone is falling out with each other). Take that or leave it, I suppose.

On the other hand, it was an interview after a very bad result, where tempers might well have been fraying...

Yes.

I guess that there's a ton of inference and nuance to analysing comments like this, and as a result I tend to steer clear of assuming hostile intent until it becomes absolutely certain there is some...

Yes, again.

Far too much has been read into comments made in a second language after a frustrating match that went haywire in the first five minutes. The focus on "flick on" is easy, and a failed flick was one part (of many) in a Jersey goal. That same flick on at midfield against Atlanta led to a tying goal.

Could there be deep rooted issues in the locker room? Sure - but it is far more likely that a team that has played well over the first quarter of the season was punched in the mouth and was upset about it. Better to be angry than resigned.

I'd personally take the band from him and give it to Ring. Things change and rearrange.
1*UDUtGU1NqByb_yZmnhNTPw.png

nickyoung-gifs

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Villa for his tricks - nobody else on the team is known for risky flicks on a game to game basis
Didn't particularly see them as risky at all but Berget has started to do all sorts of flicks and backheels the past couple of matches. Hmmmm. Wonder where he could possibly have learned it?

hell of a read.. couldnt bring myself to come onto the forums for a while after that one.

2 main comments:

1. Sweat sympathizers need to come to terms to some reality here. The dude was atrocious and has been atrocious. Yes other people were bad, yes Chanot needed to be better, but how is that an excuse for how bad sweat was himself? Is anyone really giving him full blame like youre making it out to seem? The whole team was awful.

2. Anyone seriously thinking of taking the armband away from Villa because of one bad game in New Jersey should be embarrassed of themselves. The man is the heart and soul of this team. The disrespect alone just thinking of it makes me want to vomit.

2. Anyone seriously thinking of taking the armband away from Villa because of one bad game in New Jersey should be embarrassed of themselves. The man is the heart and soul of this team. The disrespect alone just thinking of it makes me want to vomit.

Maybe you should digest your breakfast a few minutes before hopping around first.

So NYCFC fans throw shirts onto the field.

Red Bulls throw a decapitated smurf head onto the field. Their player picks it up, celebrates with it, and posts it on social media.

Which is a more negative image for the league?

Throwing shirts on the field in poor sport is my pick. Them celebrating at home in entirely fitting fashion is fair game to me.