Toronto Postmatch - Goodbye 2016

I think Mena would have been a better choice than Fred. Hindsight and all.
I think Mena, Chanot, Brillant in a back three would have been better with Mena man-marking Giovinco. Shove Mata in the midfield to help offset numbers. And kick long to keep from having turnovers in our end.

But what do I know the day after....

Mena man-marking Giovinco

No way no how. He's absolutely dreadful in transition. It would only work if he could stop the ball and that's unlikely the way Toronto was moving the ball. Honestly, I think our best chance at putting a damper on Giovinco was Jason Hernandez.

Reactions: Kjbert
No way no how. He's absolutely dreadful in transition. It would only work if he could stop the ball and that's unlikely the way Toronto was moving the ball. Honestly, I think our best chance at putting a damper on Giovinco was Jason Hernandez.
Agree to disagree. Hernandez is slow as hell and arm-grabs when beaten. Mena is an excellent man-marker. My premise is based on not playing short out of the back.

Some post match thoughts.

We have absolutely no Plan B. Vieira wants to play out of the back, but when that isn't working he doesn't know what to do aside from switching out defenders for attackers and continues to try and play out of the back.

All the players were in the locker room last night, including Mix, Brandt and Gomez.

Villa is looking forward to a rest to clear his mind "but not too much rest" as he thinks 2 1/2 months without games is too much.

Tony Taylor flies to Panama today, Matarrita said he's looking forward to playing with the national team too. He was devastated after that lost. He wants to win badly.

As I was leaving the stadium last night I walked past Villa, Martinez, Bravo and Brillant hanging out with their families. Brillant especially looked sad.

Lampard skipped out on interviews, he got dressed and pretty much ran out. Same for Pirlo, he left quickly. You have to wonder if these two will be back next year.

I watched the game from the bleachers so I was miserable with the rest of you guys. Here's to 2017!
Of course Andrea left quickly !!! He probably took the first plane back to ITALY to beg for his old job to the bosses at Juventus ! Shit at this point he may even consider going back to AC Milan or even way way back to Inter Milan !!

I think the best thing about last night was as everyone that sits around us in our section started leaving every single group was 'see you next year' this loss isnt putting anyone off coming back

Reactions: JayH
Before these last two games, Toronto had NEVER beaten us.

Note that Jason was pretty much on par with everyone around him in these two games. The May game was played by the 2nd team and we still weren't beaten... on the road.

mar13.jpg

may19.jpg

Before these last two games, Toronto had NEVER beaten us.

Note that Jason was pretty much on par with everyone around him in these two games. The May game was played by the 2nd team and we still weren't beaten... on the road.

View attachment 6115

View attachment 6116
Toronto beat us with 5 in the midfield - they never played that way against us before, and because of that they owned the midfield. They also played with more intensity than they ever had before - we have only matched that once this year when we beat RB, otherwise we play as if we're on xanex.

Yes, they beat us with 5 in the midfield. That is the problem with our system. We were talking about who might have had a better chance at neutralizing Giovinco.

Shit way to end the year, feel we got exposed a bit, but overall we went from 17th in the table in 2015 to 4th in 2016. Not bad at all and definitely exceeded my expectations. See you all in March 2017!
Nice to know your with us !! I wondered about your where about's again ?? You know if you want some sort of secret life perhaps a name change would be appropriate, or are you really telling us something after all??

Yes, they beat us with 5 in the midfield. That is the problem with our system. We were talking about who might have had a better chance at neutralizing Giovinco.
Yes and no. You made a point of saying that Toronto had never beaten us before. I gave you the reason they beat us - they owned the midfield, playing 5 versus 3, and didn't bother trying to charge us rent, they simply went forward with eviction proceedings.

Toronto beat us with 5 in the midfield - they never played that way against us before, and because of that they owned the midfield. They also played with more intensity than they ever had before - we have only matched that once this year when we beat RB, otherwise we play as if we're on xanex.

Toronto played the exact same 3-5-2 that they have been playing for the last 4-5 games now (and the same formation that they did in the home leg against Toronto). This is where I think the coaching has failed. I read stories from players/media about "how prepared the players are, how much film study they do, that some MLS players have never done prep like this before" and the team looked like they had no idea how to handle the Toronto shape. And the 3-5-2 was no secret - it was all over MLS Soccer about how it was "Toronto's secret weapon". Come on.

As another person mentioned, a 4-3-3 gets killed against a 3-5-2 unless you use width and speed to bypass the midfield, not play slow out of the back and try to right through those 5 guys. Toronto simply pressed the CBs with Gio and Altidore. The CBs would either pass the ball around the back and if they tried to move it in the midfield it would then be a numbers game - unless you could do 5-6 quick passes in a row while outnumbered you could not run at their CBs with speed. It literally looked like NYCFC could not even get the ball out of their own half.

Part of it might have been physicality/execution/fitness (at times NYCFC's midfield looked 100 years old) but the other part was woeful in tactics. How many times was a player left to dribble against 2 or even 3 players. And then once you get a turnover in the midfield, Toronto was well drilled to make the 2 quick passes (or play to Altidore who had a great game in terms of hold up play) and off to the races.

PV got whupped in both games from a coaching perspective.

Boooooooo to you.

When he is healthy and on form, that's exactly what he is.
ok

ETA: World class strikers are Suarez, Ibrahimovic, Henry in his day, Ronaldo Nazario in his day. Altidore? No. Just no. The US has never produced a world class player and Altidore sure as hell ain't it.

Last edited:
i aint reading everyones reply but i will say this: what happened yesterday would of happened has we gone all out on the first game.
i didnt like that no one pressured or left giovinco very open all the time...i dont like mena in the starting 11 but he would of pressured him maybe even tackle the guy.

still it was an improving year and the memories and friends and trips i made this year have made it fun. Here is to the next year and hope we get a younger midfield especially for our small field.

GK, RB, CDM, and another CM in there are the positions of need. I like johanssen better than saunders but i dont know if we can get a good American GK instead might as well go for him see if we can use him ( Macmath?)

onto 2017 now....as for 2016 we just wait to see if Seattle doesnt win the cup....if they fail we go to CCL

Smoke stacks were incredibly cheesy - and I LOVED it. I hope they come back.

Walking into the stadium last night, I noticed two things. 1) The stadium did a poor job anticipating the number of fans both in terms of gates open and concessions. They suck. 2) It felt like a playoff game atmosphere for any sport. It was great. Then it all fell apart.

Any thoughts on the aesthetics, like the fireworks, smoke stacks, tifo, team-colored nets, etc.?

Fireworks: Cool
Smokestacks: Smoke didn't come out fast enough like at other stadiums. That being said, awesome NYC concept, though while white is the natural color for them it's also the color of surrender. Maybe have blue and orange too
Tifo: New York City, decent. We can't do much until we get a stadium.
Nets: Cool