Toronto Postmatch - Goodbye 2016

Super weird time to single out and shit on Pirlo. Toronto completely dominated us in Game 1 when Pirlo didn't play and our entire squad looked like ass tonight (even with every single guy on NYCFC giving 200% effort).

If Josh Saunders had given up 5 goals I feel like you would have given us a 4 paragraph diatribe about all of the holes in his game.

We got totally outplayed in Game 2 with NOTHING going our way (no yellow given when Pirlo's leg was grabbed on a breakaway, Altidore and Giovinvo had the MLS games of their life, Lampard missed 2 shots he makes 9/10 times etc.

Toronto is hot at the right time. NYCFC needed to win the road game. It's a shit side at home with the narrow pitch.
It's Wonderful how you are protecting Andrea !! But as it would be pointed out to me look at the whole context of T Tom in Fairfield CT statement !! There was a time I never defend him ! But we must look at the whole picture advice given to me but not often done at times !! Thanks for the Andrea defense !

Angela, Pirlo works very well for NYCFC but only if the formula is right. PV likes to tinker with the formula (unfortunately for the team and the fans).

I'm amused by TomInFairfield. Our goalkeeper (not named Josh Saunders) gives up 5 goals at home and not even a peep about it but he hammers Pirlo. I seriously LOL'd.

Reactions: Angela Miller
I was talking to our former boy Josh Williams during the game. Great guy. At one point, I gave him a "man, what are you guys doing to us out there" and he gave me back a laughing "don't blame me, I am just sitting here watching like you are." Good to see him back on track (and with a team making a run).

I was talking to our former boy Josh Williams during the game. Great guy. At one point, I gave him a "man, what are you guys doing to us out there" and he gave me back a laughing "don't blame me, I am just sitting here watching like you are." Good to see him back on track (and with a team making a run).

He shouldn't be playing any professional sport with his heart condition.

Reactions: Kjbert
The entire team is built around him, he's the QB of the offense. When we look worse with him in there than we did with Mikey Lopez, I can say he had a bad game. Frankly, he's not been good for the past few months. Even Angela has given up on him. He may be injured, he may be ineffective because PV inexplicably took irola away from him, I don't know.

He also takes all our free kicks, which have been horrible since he's been here.
He also takes our corners, which have continued to be horrible.

Sorry if that offends you, I care more about the team than one player.

I totally agree with you that Pirlo needs Iraola next to him in order to have the time and space to effectively play that QB role for the offense and he didn't have that against TFC. I disagree though with regard to the corners last night -- I thought he did pretty well with his deliveries into the box. Pirlo also played a beautiful through ball to Lampard late in the first half that Lampard buries 9 times out of 10. AHABS in this thread, the biggest problem last night was that the midfield was overrun and Iraola was playing between the CBs a lot causing Pirlo to be isolated.

The entire team is built around him, he's the QB of the offense. When we look worse with him in there than we did with Mikey Lopez, I can say he had a bad game. Frankly, he's not been good for the past few months. Even Angela has given up on him. He may be injured, he may be ineffective because PV inexplicably took irola away from him, I don't know.

He also takes all our free kicks, which have been horrible since he's been here.
He also takes our corners, which have continued to be horrible.

Sorry if that offends you, I care more about the team than one player.

Thought it was pretty funny that Villa bullied Pirlo off the free kick opportunity in the 2nd half.

Would love to know what was said in that conversation...

Smokestacks: Smoke didn't come out fast enough like at other stadiums. That being said, awesome NYC concept, though while white is the natural color for them it's also the color of surrender. Maybe have blue and orange too

It's not smoke. It's basically a fog machine system. The only color it does is white. That's how we ended up at the smoke stack idea. We wanted a way to make white make sense. Our Secretary, Stephanie Plaut, came up with the idea and I think everyone instantly knew that was it. (This was at our meeting with the FO on 9/26.) On October 7th, I got a mockup.

stack.jpg

The impressive thing is that the club actually made these. They told me that they tried to buy actual ones from the company that makes them for the city but they do not sell them to the general public. What's equally impressive is the time that they were able to get it done in. They were actually in the stadium for the Columbus game. If you track back to the pre-match photo tweeted from the club account on that day, you'll see them in the picture.

It's not smoke. It's basically a fog machine system. The only color it does is white. That's how we ended up at the smoke stack idea. We wanted a way to make white make sense. Our Secretary, Stephanie Plaut, came up with the idea and I think everyone instantly knew that was it. (This was at our meeting with the FO on 9/26.) On October 7th, I got a mockup.

View attachment 6122

The impressive thing is that the club actually made these. They told me that they tried to buy actual ones from the company that makes them for the city but they do not sell them to the general public. What's equally impressive is the time that they were able to get it done in. They were actually in the stadium for the Columbus game. If you track back to the pre-match photo tweeted from the club account on that day, you'll see them in the picture.
Well done R roxfontaine and co.! Any chance it becomes a permanent fixture?

Angela, Pirlo works very well for NYCFC but only if the formula is right. PV likes to tinker with the formula (unfortunately for the team and the fans).

I'm amused by TomInFairfield. Our goalkeeper (not named Josh Saunders) gives up 5 goals at home and not even a peep about it but he hammers Pirlo. I seriously LOL'd.
If you want my opinion, ask. I blame Johansen for the Jozy goal for sure, and I thnk #4 and #5 were on him too. #1 was all Giovinco, Cant blame a keeper for missing a PK, he guessed rigth and Giovinco still got it past him. I can;t think of anyone who had a good game, but they are also not getting 6 million, and having the team built to their exacting standards for them.

View attachment 6122

wonderfully, uniquely NYC. Loved them. Great creativity

View attachment 6122

Great job as usual Rox, If you ever try to step down from TR I think youll face a revolt, you might be lifetime president.

View attachment 6122

Loved seeing those! At first I thought it was a take on the condensation stacks at the Con-Ed power plant in queens across from Roosevelt island. It was only this morning that I realized they were the stacks on the street as I passed two on the way to work. The ambiance created was awesome and a great way to circumvent the smoke bomb dilemma.

Last edited:

Pregame and goals?

And you should make this information more public so people know what the Third Rail is doing for the stadium atmosphere.

And is that mockup from the front office? PUT IT IN THE STADIUM THREAD!

Reactions: JayH