What Do You Call'em.

franchise646

Registered
Oct 31, 2014
Most team have nicknames I haven't heard a lot of nicknames for NYCFC. I know Man City often go by "city" but we aren't them, and Orlando seem to want the name "city", they can have it. I have taken to calling them the locals for a multiple reasons, Or just NYC (even with the cosmos having the copyright to NYC). But what about you guys, what are you calling the team by short hand or nickname.

Most team have nicknames I haven't heard a lot of nicknames for NYCFC. I know Man City often go by "city" but we aren't them, and Orlando seem to want the name "city", they can have it. I have taken to calling them the locals for a multiple reasons, Or just NYC (even with the cosmos having the copyright to NYC). But what about you guys, what are you calling the team by short hand or nickname.

I've been saying CFC myself but I've no reason to think anybody else is. There does seem to be a lack of a clear shorthand.

i call them "new york city" or "nycfc" or "city"

id prefer if the supporters section was to be called "The Bulge" after the 42nd infantry's help in that battle.
the 42 infantry is from ny and comprising of all nationalities (thats why its called rainbow brigade)

Wonder if the jersey color is going to work it's way in?

"C'Mon you BLUUUUUUUEESSSSSS!!!"

It also depends if youre talk to mls fans or not. A mls fan is goin to know red bulls and new york are two different teams. A non mls fan or non soccer fan might need the longer name, nycfc

Reactions: Pattyboybx
i call them "new york city" or "nycfc" or "city"

id prefer if the supporters section was to be called "The Bulge" after the 42nd infantry's help in that battle.
the 42 infantry is from ny and comprising of all nationalities (thats why its called rainbow brigade)
Lots of Americans died there. Don't know if we'd want to be named after that. Might as well call it Pearl Harbor or Ground Zero.

Got to agree. On the internet it's NYCFC as it's not too hard to type and it differentiates clearly, but if I were to ever speak to any of you face to face, it would be "City", or for a media nickname I'd also expect to see some of "the Blues".

Reactions: Kjbert
I think you will find that perhaps in market and outside you will have different nicknames.

Maybe in NYC "City" or maybe "Blues" will work, but absolutely no one in the media or fans outside of the NY market will ever call them that.

Pretty sure it will mostly be NYC every where else.

Firstly - "City" is a generic nickname and many clubs use this.
So yea Man' City are also referred to as just "city" but so is Hull, Coventry, Cardiff, Leicester, Bristol City and many many more.... So New York also just using "city" is fine although maybe developing your own unique nickname may be something New Yorkers want/will want to eventually do.