2021 Roster Discussion

Actually I don't think Medina can be a Young DP.
Young Designated Player
  • A Designated Player who is 23 years old (or younger than the age of 23) during the League Year (the age of the player is determined by year - not date - of birth) will carry the following Young Designated Player Salary Budget Charge:
That's not fully clear but I think it means you just subtract birth year from this year and that is the player's age, regardless of the specific birthday. Medina was born in 1997 (April 30). That's 24. He must be either DP or regular player.
Could it also be interpreted as "if they are 23 years old at all during the League Year"? As in, he's 23 for a portion of the year so he would be considered as a Young DP?

Or would "during the League Year" mean that he has to be 23 years old throughout the entire League Year?

Could it also be interpreted as "if they are 23 years old at all during the League Year"? As in, he's 23 for a portion of the year so he would be considered as a Young DP?

Or would "during the League Year" mean that he has to be 23 years old throughout the entire League Year?
That's why I think it is somewhat ambiguous, but when they specify to use the year and not the date of birth I keep coming back to 2021-1997 = 24. There is no way to say he is 23 without reference to his actual birth date.

That's why I think it is somewhat ambiguous, but when they specify to use the year and not the date of birth I keep coming back to 2021-1997 = 24. There is no way to say he is 23 without reference to his actual birth date.

I agree with this interpretation due to the requirement of using the birth year and not the date.

Multiple sources said he was no longer a Young DP and we had 2 open DP spots with Mitri gone. So, we technically have 2 open DP spots and 2 open u-22 spots left?

Reactions: Kjbert
I agree with this interpretation due to the requirement of using the birth year and not the date.

Multiple sources said he was no longer a Young DP and we had 2 open DP spots with Mitri gone. So, we technically have 2 open DP spots and 2 open u-22 spots left?
Sort of. At the moment, yes. But if we fill all 3 DP slots then we lose the extra 2 U22 slots, unless one of the DPs is (1) a Young DP, or (2) at a salary below the max TAM amount, roughly $1.6M.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
I didn't notice the Taty goal celebration during the game (I think I was just elated we scored). They were going back and forth about it a little on the Soccer in the City Podcast (Abramowitz saying it's ambiguous subject to interpretation; Rojas saying it seems pretty clear). To me it's just bad optics. Obviously Taty knows what's out there in the media and that we as fans don't know very much. It reminds me of the Ring shoosh celebration. It's not really directed at us, there's some other chess match being played, but I don't really like it as a fan

I didn't notice the Taty goal celebration during the game (I think I was just elated we scored). They were going back and forth about it a little on the Soccer in the City Podcast (Abramowitz saying it's ambiguous subject to interpretation; Rojas saying it seems pretty clear). To me it's just bad optics. Obviously Taty knows what's out there in the media and that we as fans don't know very much. It reminds me of the Ring shoosh celebration. It's not really directed at us, there's some other chess match being played, but I don't really like it as a fan

gladiator mask to "call me" plus the extra tweet to reiterate it. seems sketch to me!

gladiator mask to "call me" plus the extra tweet to reiterate it. seems sketch to me!

giphy.gif

ETA: I've been hoping for a while now that we would sign some other Spanish player that ends up being really good so we can all do the "Spaniard! Spaniard! Spaniard!" chant from this movie.

I thought they said on the broadcast that they COULD fill two DP spots if they chose.

i like how he admits he has stock answers for all the different kinds of questions. he basically said the same thing, "yes we will sign players when we fight the right players" about 12 different ways.

It's because he's being asked selected questions that fit into the mold of his boilerplate answers

Reactions: Joe_Cos and moogoo
Not that I'm likely to watch 40 minutes anyway, but I take it there is no solid information that would make watching especially worthwhile?

He gives very typical general manager sporting director answers, which are vague, open to interpretation, and light on solid details. Still worthwhile for me to at least get some perspective on things, but nothing newsworthy.

He gives very typical general manager sporting director answers, which are vague, open to interpretation, and light on solid details. Still worthwhile for me to at least get some perspective on things, but nothing newsworthy.
Earlier today I was on a website of someone I like, and she posted a video called 1-minute sunrise. I clicked, and ended up jumping ahead 4 times because I got impatient. I mean, I like this person, the video was exactly as described, barely 1 minute long, and I had no patience to watch the whole thing. So, yeah, no way I would enjoy this, but it's great for those who do and why options are good.