2022 Roster Discussion

he's out of contract. so if he decides not to sign that's a wasted choice. if that other article is true, he's going to europe. no reason for him to stay in MLS if he gets to play in the first division in spain or something.
Did Austin use all of their picks last year? If I remember correctly Orlando and us passed towards the end of ours.
It doesn't waste a pick if you weren't planning to use it anyway. Maybe they get the player, maybe they dont. Either way they are not on the hook for any salary.
Same reason I can see Maxi getting picked.

Reactions: Kjbert
Did Austin use all of their picks last year? If I remember correctly Orlando and us passed towards the end of ours.
It doesn't waste a pick if you weren't planning to use it anyway. Maybe they get the player, maybe they dont. Either way they are not on the hook for any salary.
Same reason I can see Maxi getting picked.

you thinking of the Dispersal Draft (to take players from Chivas USA which was folding) that happened before the expansion draft. nycfc passed in the second round of that.

There have only been two outgoing transfers in MLS history for more than $11 million, and both were by Atlanta United (Almiron - $26M, P. Martinez - $18M)

Taty is going for eight figures, that much is clear. Does he get to Pity's number? Alphonso Davies is the third-highest outgoing transfer in MLS history, at $11M. Have to think Taty is worth more than that at this point.
Interesting data points. No doubt that Davies is the most valuable league export, and probably by a good margin.

Yep, price just went up by $5M with that article.
Yep. That’s the whole reason that quote was released to the media.

Interesting data points. No doubt that Davies is the most valuable league export, and probably by a good margin.

Yep. That’s the whole reason that quote was released to the media.
I can see CFG keeping him IF they think the value goes up. If we’re offered $15-$25m and cfg thinks this is his cap then he’s going outside of the organization. If they think by keeping him his value can go up (Harrison) then he’s staying with CFG. It’s all about the $$$. I don’t think Castellanos can raise his value from here.

Reactions: 413Blue
I can see CFG keeping him IF they think the value goes up. If we’re offered $15-$25m and cfg thinks this is his cap then he’s going outside of the organization. If they think by keeping him his value can go up (Harrison) then he’s staying with CFG. It’s all about the $$$. I don’t think Castellanos can raise his value from here.
!remindme in 5 years

We could be in line to lose our Top 3 goalscorers from this past season.

We could also be in line to sign 2 new DPs.

That's assuming Maxi doesn't come back as a DP. I think it's 50/50 if he does or not.

If not, then Talles is our only DP. Signing two new impactful DPs would be wonderful.... with the hopes they actually pan out to be impactful and not flops.

Who is the we? CFG or NYC? Because of his current value is $20 then Man City will buy him and then sell him on for $20. It doesn’t matter how much we sell him for beyond a certain point. It’s not our money. It’s CFG’s money.

Barcelona could offer $50 tomorrow and CFG would first shift him to City.

That's assuming Maxi doesn't come back as a DP. I think it's 50/50 if he does or not.

If not, then Talles is our only DP. Signing two new impactful DPs would be wonderful.... with the hopes they actually pan out to be impactful and not flops.
Bringing Maxi back as a DP would be very uncharacteristic of the current regime.

Who is the we? CFG or NYC? Because of his current value is $20 then Man City will buy him and then sell him on for $20. It doesn’t matter how much we sell him for beyond a certain point. It’s not our money. It’s CFG’s money.

Barcelona can’t afford that right now, sadly. But I get your point.

Reactions: Higgs1 and Kjbert

That’s what I’m saying. The difference being wether he’s kept and loaned or sold on after leaving us. If CFG thinks his value will increase they’ll treat it as an investment and loan him out for now just like they did with Jack. Otherwise he’ll just be moved outside the organization right away.

Reactions: Revfugee and Kjbert
That’s what I’m saying. The difference being wether he’s kept and loaned or sold on after leaving us. If CFG thinks his value will increase they’ll treat it as an investment and loan him out for now just like they did with Jack. Otherwise he’ll just be moved outside the organization right away.
I guess what I’m saying is, CFG isn’t going to pay us anything more than what they paid for Harrison. It’s just moving money from their left to right pocket while giving MLS a vig.

i think everyone will be patient for a while lol i say this year is a free pass.
Dude came in injured, bosses the ball in his last few appearances and scored the goal that sent us through to the final. I mean, really…

I think the pressure needs to be on Santi to make that final pass and Thiago to operate in tight spaces.

To be fair to all three, each of them provided highlight-reel worthy moments in year 1 and two of them all-time highlight reel moments. Talles had more immediate impact than Taty, but actually Medina’s and Isi’s 2018(first year) numbers were much better than either Thiago and Santi’s or both combined, and they were each much more productive than Taty in 2018 even adjusted for appearances. Which just goes to show: you never know who’s gonna step up or when.

One thing I will say is that Ronny
has been much less risk-averse with young players than Dome or PV, and it has paid off. Not sure we have given him enough credit for that. Maybe under Ronny, JLew might have developed a more complete game and Haak might have developed into a first team regular by now. His trust in Tayvon has been rewarded and though Jasson has been scarce lately, he played his role well this year.

Coming back to then first point, I’m pretty optimistic about those guys. We may not replace Taty directly but they give us some tactical flexibility. What worries me is CB depth and as of today, the LB situation.

Last edited:
People seem remarkably blasé about Tinny being left unprotected. I, personally, was very surprised.
Is it just that everyone thinks Charlotte is too stocked with defenders for him to be in real danger of leaving? As one of the top fullbacks in the league you'd think he'd be very desirable.