2022 Roster Discussion

I called not protecting Anton a few weeks ago. A bunch of y'all said i was crazy. Then the team went and did it.

Anyway, Here's what i think is highest risk to lowest risk:

1. Shradi
2. Gudi (out of contract)
3. Medina (out of contract)
4. Rocha (out of contract)
5. Amundsen
6. Tinnerholm
7. Torres (out of contract)
8. Mizell
9. Vuk
10. Mitrita
11. Maxi

Maybe the team is waiting until after expansion draft before they give talks to gudi? Who knows.

Again, people on here led me to believe Anton will be back before March. But I get it’s a risk

Anton is a calculated risk, and probably the right move.

Making both Gudi and Malte eligible for selection is surprising. Certainly, Charlotte can't take both, but we paid a hefty transfer fee for Malte. Plus, if they select Malte, and Gudi doesn't re-sign, then we are again out hunting for a left back, which is an elusive species. It makes me wonder if the Club has already bagged one somewhere else.

Mitrita is an interesting one. He's almost certainly played his last game for us, but they spent a hefty amount for him and could probably recoup a good portion on the transfer market.

This raises another question. How does the league deal with a player that came in on a transfer fee and then gets grabbed in the expansion draft? Does the expansion team have to pay over a portion of the fee?

Reactions: Kjbert
Does anyone know the depth an expansion team can speak to a player/FO/agent before selection?

I'll be shocked if gudi, medina, rocha, and/or torres resign after the club already tweeted thank you messages.

that would be very poor form to tweet that and then resign.

So which of the young guys has the most pressure on them?

Talles - maybe your Starting 9?
Andrade - Expected to step in for Isi and Medina?
Santi - Provides cover for Maxi in his last season?
Gray - Long term Anton replacement?
Haak - Covers both midfield spots

I happen to think it’s Andrade. Isi is inconsistent. Medina is gone. Santi is a 10.

So which of the young guys has the most pressure on them?

Talles - maybe your Starting 9?
Andrade - Expected to step in for Isi and Medina?
Santi - Provides cover for Maxi in his last season?
Gray - Long term Anton replacement?
Haak - Covers both midfield spots

I happen to think it’s Andrade. Isi is inconsistent. Medina is gone. Santi is a 10.

talles....the price tag.

talles....the price tag.
You and I typically don’t see eye to eye but that’s a good point.

If Medina came in on a free, he wouldn’t get shit from us. At least not as much. Multiply that be 2 or 3x. How patient should we be with Talles?

Reactions: Higgs1
You and I typically don’t see eye to eye but that’s a good point.

If Medina came in on a free, he wouldn’t get shit from us. At least not as much. Multiply that be 2 or 3x. How patient should we be with Talles?

i think everyone will be patient for a while lol i say this year is a free pass.

Does "buying down" a DP contract affect how much the player cost? Or it's the same number? so for example 2.5 mil, you buy down 600,000 and then his salary is valued at 1.9 instead of 2.5, but the full amount is the same?

Wondering because we still never got an explanation as to why Medina wasn't bought down. Maybe because they anticipated contract declining anyway, so there would really be no point and then they could eat the DP slot for a season and find a better replacement?

Does "buying down" a DP contract affect how much the player cost? Or it's the same number? so for example 2.5 mil, you buy down 600,000 and then his salary is valued at 1.9 instead of 2.5, but the full amount is the same?

Wondering because we still never got an explanation as to why Medina wasn't bought down. Maybe because they anticipated contract declining anyway, so there would really be no point and then they could eat the DP slot for a season and find a better replacement?
Thought you could only do that if you have a replacement DP lined up? We never went for a 4th DP

I called not protecting Anton a few weeks ago. A bunch of y'all said i was crazy. Then the team went and did it.

Anyway, Here's what i think is highest risk to lowest risk:

1. Shradi
2. Gudi (out of contract)
3. Medina (out of contract)
4. Rocha (out of contract)
5. Amundsen
6. Tinnerholm
7. Torres (out of contract)
8. Mizell
9. Vuk
10. Mitrita
11. Maxi

Maybe the team is waiting until after expansion draft before they give talks to gudi? Who knows.

Tajouri-Shradi is the most likely player to be selected and the only one (or one of two) I believe that is a realistic possible loss.

Charlotte's roster is limited, but they currently have far more defenders than attackers:

Of those defenders, they have a veteran left back in Fuchs that they likely paid a decent amount, and they just acquired Lindsey, a young right back from SKC. I suspect that for an expansion squad that they already feel committed at those positions. Assuming that is accurate, that has Gudi (out of contract), Malta and Anton as less likely to be selected.

Rocha, Vuk, Mizell and Torres all seem to be replacement level players.

That leaves Maxi, Shradi, Mitrita and Medina.

Maxi is the best, but they won't get him to agree to a contract, especially for one year. I also have to believe after years of service that NYCFC cleared it with him before leaving him unprotected. That happens all the time in other sports.

Mitrita would - I suspect - still be under loan parameters. At a high salary and available for only the end of the year, I cannot see him being the choice.

Medina is out of contract, and I cannot see Charlotte matching any offer from NYCFC or a South American club. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Jesus have a slow time adjusting to life in the U.S.? Granted, it is years later, but I cannot imagine there is a prime Paraguayan community in Charlotte.

That leaves Tajouri-Shradi. I appreciate all he has done - we all love those half cross, half shot free kicks that always seem to go into the back of the net. However, for NYCFC he has had an injury history, and I cannot see him supplanting the expected starters for next year. For Charlotte, he is likely at a salary that is worth a gamble on his health. They also need attackers.

I put it at 50/50 he is selected. If I am Charlotte, there are other names that intrigue me more for cost or age or production:

• Hyndman, Emerson
  • Cruz, Allan
  • Rubio, Diego
  • Quintero, Darwin
  • Mabiala, Larrys
I am sure I missed others at first glance.

Tajouri-Shradi is the most likely player to be selected and the only one (or one of two) I believe that is a realistic possible loss.

Charlotte's roster is limited, but they currently have far more defenders than attackers:

Of those defenders, they have a veteran left back in Fuchs that they likely paid a decent amount, and they just acquired Lindsey, a young right back from SKC. I suspect that for an expansion squad that they already feel committed at those positions. Assuming that is accurate, that has Gudi (out of contract), Malta and Anton as less likely to be selected.

Rocha, Vuk, Mizell and Torres all seem to be replacement level players.

That leaves Maxi, Shradi, Mitrita and Medina.

Maxi is the best, but they won't get him to agree to a contract, especially for one year. I also have to believe after years of service that NYCFC cleared it with him before leaving him unprotected. That happens all the time in other sports.

Mitrita would - I suspect - still be under loan parameters. At a high salary and available for only the end of the year, I cannot see him being the choice.

Medina is out of contract, and I cannot see Charlotte matching any offer from NYCFC or a South American club. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Jesus have a slow time adjusting to life in the U.S.? Granted, it is years later, but I cannot imagine there is a prime Paraguayan community in Charlotte.

That leaves Tajouri-Shradi. I appreciate all he has done - we all love those half cross, half shot free kicks that always seem to go into the back of the net. However, for NYCFC he has had an injury history, and I cannot see him supplanting the expected starters for next year. For Charlotte, he is likely at a salary that is worth a gamble on his health. They also need attackers.

I put it at 50/50 he is selected. If I am Charlotte, there are other names that intrigue me more for cost or age or production:

• Hyndman, Emerson
  • Cruz, Allan
  • Rubio, Diego
  • Quintero, Darwin
  • Mabiala, Larrys
I am sure I missed others at first glance.

For what it is worth, an article from the MLS site:

Four on my list made their list. Maybe I am paying attention.

I can see Maxi getting picked if they don't take ISI. He costs them nothing if they throw away a pick at the end. Maybe we have an agreement with him and they can extort a bit of GAM from us.

• Wow
Reactions: moogoo