2022 Roster Discussion

It is not myopic to look at this through the prism of this season.

Guess you guys don’t want to win this season!

This is fair. If the team had not won the Cup last year, I would admit that my perspective would be different.

However, in a league with a one and done playoff system to determine a champion, I don't believe the transfer has as much of an effect as if it were a traditional league with a league play champion. As we saw last year, if a team can earn at least one home game in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Also, Heber might break down again, but the team has scored - and won - without Taty this season. With Villa, there was no one to take up slack. There is with this current roster. Looking for Magno and Pereira to blossom the last third of the season.

My 3cents…
1) I’m happy for Taty if he’s happy with this move.
2) I feel like the club has done really well with the personnel changes over the last couple years. IMHO, there is way more talent on this squad then the pretty darn successful 2019 team.
3)because of 2), I’m going to keep faith that this organization has a decent plan for the rest of the season.

This is fair. If the team had not won the Cup last year, I would admit that my perspective would be different.

However, in a league with a one and done playoff system to determine a champion, I don't believe the transfer has as much of an effect as if it were a traditional league with a league play champion. As we saw last year, if a team can earn at least one home game in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Also, Heber might break down again, but the team has scored - and won - without Taty this season. With Villa, there was no one to take up slack. There is with this current roster. Looking for Magno and Pereira to blossom the last third of the season.

Exactly -- the team planned for this with Magno, Heber, Pereira, Santi, Thiago, Maxi ... there are still more than enough scoring options. Heber, based on minutes played, is actually scoring at a higher rate than Taty was this season. I think he's going to step in and be just fine as the No. 9 as long as he can stay healthy.

I'm more worried about the midfield than the forward/striker position.
Exactly.

I did see a time period of 2 months for Parks, which would put him back just as the regular season ends. That's cutting it close. If we've got dry powder to ignite, central midfield is where we need to do it. There is no margin for error there right now, unlike the attacking positions, where we have 6 starting level guys for 4 spots.

Reactions: moogoo
It is not myopic to look at this through the prism of this season.

Guess you guys don’t want to win this season!
I had assumed that Taty was not in the club's plans for this season, and I had also suspected that we were using funny math to stay under the cap, basically forced to sell/loan Taty in the summer. Our roster is too good for the cap. Keeping Taty would have forced other moves to be made, potentially in weaker positions. Although Taty is probably our best player (I think Callens should be worth $20m but that's me) he was probably among the most expendable top players based upon our depth and current injuries.

Obviously that is just my speculation.

I haven't seen this posted in the thread, my apologies if someone got to it already. But I think Nalton largely nails it here:

Castellanos’ arrival at New York City from City Football Group’s Uruguayan side, Montevideo City Torque, and subsequent transfer to their club in Spain is the first time a player has gone from South America to a big European league via NYCFC and could set a precedent from which the MLS club can benefit in the future.

Here's the full article:

Reactions: Higgs1 and JayH
If they sold Taty, the GAM is equivalent to Gareth’s Bale salary this season. For context.

MLS cap rules suck and we skipped two opportunities to take advantage of them.

Reactions: Higgs1
I am surprised that Taty wasn't bought by Man City and loaned by them to Girona ahead of an eventual sale. That would have allowed Man City to book the increase in value between now and later, rather than having that accrue to NYCFC. If Man City books the increase, it helps them with Financial Fair Play. If NYCFC books the increase, it wouldn't affect the GAM from the transaction, and presumably wouldn't help with Financial Fair Play either.

Think about Jack Harrison. Man City bought him for $4.4 million since nobody else would hit their reserve price. Three years later, they sold him to Leeds for $14.1 million. NYC maxed out on GAM from the $4.4 million price. The $9.7 million increase ended up on Man City's books. Win-win.

Why not this time? Maybe MLS vetoed a sale to Man City, concerned about losing value in the same manner. Remember that the league gets 5% of each sale. Maybe Man City is maxed out on how many players it can loan. For all we know, there may even be tax issues.

I am surprised that Taty wasn't bought by Man City and loaned by them to Girona ahead of an eventual sale. That would have allowed Man City to book the increase in value between now and later, rather than having that accrue to NYCFC. If Man City books the increase, it helps them with Financial Fair Play. If NYCFC books the increase, it wouldn't affect the GAM from the transaction, and presumably wouldn't help with Financial Fair Play either.

Think about Jack Harrison. Man City bought him for $4.4 million since nobody else would hit their reserve price. Three years later, they sold him to Leeds for $14.1 million. NYC maxed out on GAM from the $4.4 million price. The $9.7 million increase ended up on Man City's books. Win-win.

Why not this time? Maybe MLS vetoed a sale to Man City, concerned about losing value in the same manner. Remember that the league gets 5% of each sale. Maybe Man City is maxed out on how many players it can loan. For all we know, there may even be tax issues.
I don't think CFG could say too much about it. In Major League Soccer, player contracts are league contracts. We're not like the other clubs in their portfolio.

Anyway, good summary piece here from Oliver Strand. I've seen the promise mentioned in a few places, so it's a good bet something had to happen this window.

Cushing noted that Tinnerholm is close to returning, but likely not available on Saturday.

He also noted that he hasn't been provided any time table for Keaton's return (asked about the two months timeframe previously reported) and that he's really not sure and that Keaton is just focused on rehab at the moment.

Our 4 last major roster moves:

LOAN James Sands to Rangers (no GAM or replacement)
BOUGHT Gabriel Pereira
BOUGHT Thiago Martins from a sister club (Designated Player)
LOAN Taty Castellanos to a sister club (no GAM or replacement)

Reactions: joe
I think we are going to be gritting our teeth over the next two months hoping everyone is back to 100% for the playoffs.(though I get the feeling that will not be possible for Parks) I also imagine many will be saying prayers that we are blessed with some sort of meaningful addition. Personally, my faith has been shaken in the belief that this is the year we get the supporters shield.
Forgive me brothers and sisters.

I think we are going to be gritting our teeth over the next two months hoping everyone is back to 100% for the playoffs.(though I get the feeling that will not be possible for Parks) I also imagine many will be saying prayers that we are blessed with some sort of meaningful addition. Personally, my faith has been shaken in the belief that this is the year we get the supporters shield.
Forgive me brothers and sisters.
I watched that LAFC match the other night. They're just not going to drop a lot of points going forward. It's going to be tough.

Reactions: Gotham Gator