2022 Roster Discussion

Probably a push.

Lost Taty and Keaton. Gained Pereira, Thiago Martins, and (about to) Tinnerholm

Lost Sands, Taty and Keaton. Lost Medina.

Not sure Pereira is a current upgrade to Medina but I see the trajectory. Martins hasn’t been an upgrade on Max.

No replacement for Sands, Taty or Keaton. Our three most important players. Maybe throw Callens in there.

Not sure Pereira is a current upgrade to Medina but I see the trajectory. Martins hasn’t been an upgrade on Max.

No replacement for Sands, Taty or Keaton. Our three most important players. Maybe throw Callens in there.
You’re not wrong and of course it’s your opinion but I do think this is a more pessimistic point of view. I think Martins has been an improvement on Chanot, 2022 Magno has been an improvement on Medina, Pereira is an improvement on 2021 magno. You’re right that there is no replacement for Sands, Keaton, and Taty which is a problem. But we’ve barely started the Taty-less era so I think it’s tbd if he can be replaced by our current roster which I think we potentially can by committee. Keaton was out as of Jan. 1 so I think he is a wash based on the premise. I would say missing out on Sands is true. Getting Timnerholm back will be an improvement over Grey as well. While I do feel that we may be worse off than last year it’s probably not by much, considering our clean sheet record this year. Plus we had a fear of not making the playoffs last year before we did win the cup. We are in a better position now than pre-Atlanta game with Gudi’s stunner.

Medina was pre 1/1. I thought Sands was too but looks like I was wrong there as he was loaned out on 1/5.

If what we had behind Taty was better than Taty, Taty would not have started.

Impossibility that we could be better WITHOUT the Golden Boot winner.

We didn’t reload. We didn’t replace. And our depth was tested. We found out that the players in depth (Acevedo, Zelalem, Gray, Jasson, Andrade) aren’t good enough.

If what we had behind Taty was better than Taty, Taty would not have started.

Impossibility that we could be better WITHOUT the Golden Boot winner.

We didn’t reload. We didn’t replace. And our depth was tested. We found out that the players in depth (Acevedo, Zelalem, Gray, Jasson, Andrade) aren’t good enough.
Thiago was one of the bright spots vs Montreal. We just didn't have the midfield experience to match theirs.

It wasn't because we didn't finish our chances, which meant our attackers failed. It was because we had zero control of the game. That's a midfield problem and we were just out matched vs Montreals experience

Thiago was one of the bright spots vs Montreal. We just didn't have the midfield experience to match theirs.

It wasn't because we didn't finish our chances, which meant our attackers failed. It was because we had zero control of the game. That's a midfield problem and we were just out matched vs Montreals experience

No Sands. No Parks.

Where is their replacement/cover?

Thiago should be running a 200m track event.

No Sands. No Parks.

Where is their replacement/cover?

Thiago should be running a 200m track event.

Acevedo was supposed to be Sands's cover. He hasn't panned out. Morales has stepped up and has been very solid lately but was unfortunately suspended last game. Parks is the is the one we are definitely missing a replacement for. I suppose it could be argued Zel was seen as potentially a backup, but for whatever reason, he's not impressing anybody enough to get minutes. He really should be playing with the II squad to improve and not sure why he's not.

I agree we need a new 8 type player to backup Parks. His 2nd clot was definitely unforeseen, but we still need a solid backup even if he were healthy.
I think Haak can become our next Sands. Just like Sands before him, Haak just needs to improve his passing. But they're both physical players who read the game well.

Thiago needs service. Most of our attackers do. Yea Magno and GP can make some magic happen with 1v1, but it's a 5 out of 10 occurrence and even then, they aren't dribbling through 5 guys. A strong midfield makes a huge difference. We just didn't have that vs montreal. It's just one game. We'll bounce back. Haak will improve. Morales will return. Maxi will hopefully return (though I think santi is improving at the 10) and I think we'll be ok. Adding back anton and eventually Parks will just be a bonus.

Acevedo was supposed to be Sands's cover. He hasn't panned out. Morales has stepped up and has been very solid lately but was unfortunately suspended last game. Parks is the is the one we are definitely missing a replacement for. I suppose it could be argued Zel was seen as potentially a backup, but for whatever reason, he's not impressing anybody enough to get minutes. He really should be playing with the II squad to improve and not sure why he's not.

I agree we need a new 8 type player to backup Parks. His 2nd clot was definitely unforeseen, but we still need a solid backup even if he were healthy.
I think Haak can become our next Sands. Just like Sands before him, Haak just needs to improve his passing. But they're both physical players who read the game well.

Thiago needs service. Most of our attackers do. Yea Magno and GP can make some magic happen with 1v1, but it's a 5 out of 10 occurrence and even then, they aren't dribbling through 5 guys. A strong midfield makes a huge difference. We just didn't have that vs montreal. It's just one game. We'll bounce back. Haak will improve. Morales will return. Maxi will hopefully return (though I think santi is improving at the 10) and I think we'll be ok. Adding back anton and eventually Parks will just be a bonus.

I like Haak. I like Pereira. They’re not really at the level yet for a run this year.

Reactions: Antidote P. Smiley
I like Haak. I like Pereira. They’re not really at the level yet for a run this year.

we went into the playoffs last year missing parks and anton and won the cup. scrutinized view of haak and gp, sure they have lots to improve. but come playoff time, who knows what sort of magic can happen. last year around this time we had given up on any cup possibility. after last year, i don't think there's any situation where we can say we can't make a run aside from half our team being out injured.

Reactions: Kjbert
Which games have we missed Taty in?

Off the top of my head, the 0-0 vs SKC, the 4-4 at FCC, the 0-0 at MTL, the 0-1 at Dallas. Any others?

Not a great scoring trend regardless...

Reactions: Kjbert
Which games have we missed Taty in?

Off the top of my head, the 0-0 vs SKC, the 4-4 at FCC, the 0-0 at MTL, the 0-1 at Dallas. Any others?

Not a great scoring trend regardless...

Our scoring trend this year has anyway a bunch of low scoring games with or without taty

Our scoring trend this year has anyway a bunch of low scoring games with or without taty

That’s fine but he was the one guy on the roster thay could make something out of nothing.

One point a lot of people are making is that Taty's replacement was probably already on the roster when he left. CFG has been anticipating this move for a long time and expected it sooner than this summer. We've got 2 strikers on the roster, including one that we paid $8 million for. Sure, that doesn't mean we are better than we were on Jan 1, but it does mean that's not necessarily the right comparison to make.

I agree that a replacement for Parks needs to be a high priority. To be fair to the Club, however, his injury only resurfaced 5 weeks ago. It's not exactly easy to fill a need that quickly, especially if we are expecting Parks back, which raises questions about the role of the new player. Let's see what happens, but it's going to be difficult to have the success we want without him.

Not replacing Sands is a fair complaint. It's fair to note that we went out and got Martins at CB, which is one of Sands' positions (thought not his principal one). In the end, we went into the season with 2 really good starters at CM (Parks & Morales) and a solid backukp (Acevedo). The Club may have just decided that we were better off addressing other areas.

One point a lot of people are making is that Taty's replacement was probably already on the roster when he left. CFG has been anticipating this move for a long time and expected it sooner than this summer. We've got 2 strikers on the roster, including one that we paid $8 million for. Sure, that doesn't mean we are better than we were on Jan 1, but it does mean that's not necessarily the right comparison to make.

I agree that a replacement for Parks needs to be a high priority. To be fair to the Club, however, his injury only resurfaced 5 weeks ago. It's not exactly easy to fill a need that quickly, especially if we are expecting Parks back, which raises questions about the role of the new player. Let's see what happens, but it's going to be difficult to have the success we want without him.

Not replacing Sands is a fair complaint. It's fair to note that we went out and got Martins at CB, which is one of Sands' positions (thought not his principal one). In the end, we went into the season with 2 really good starters at CM (Parks & Morales) and a solid backukp (Acevedo). The Club may have just decided that we were better off addressing other areas.

We have the ability to convert a free DP spot.

We’re not using all of the tools at our disposal. LAFC and Toronto are doing that.