2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It’s a tricky situation honestly. And I guess it depends on what they have planned for all the very young signings. Is it just to try a secure money? Moves like this may deter the euro interest. Especially since kids ain’t playing in first team for a few years.

If it’s because they truly believe in them being part of first team someday then It’s fine I think. MLS rules/ labor laws limit how much they can sign and when they can sign them.

Also many good prospects have left because they have euro passports so I guess these moves are just needed to stop the bleeding in losing kids. Or they get a polvara situation where he said no to a contract and went to Europe

I feel like these really signings are done to prevent another academy kid leaving for “free” with no transfer fee.
It doesn't seem like we have a "sign with us or develop elsewhere" mantra though. What these contracts do offer must be considered fair value to get families on board.
Perhaps that is the sole agenda, and families are willing to sign because it's insurance. Or perhaps the players have other options, and the club makes an offer to keep them.

It doesn't seem like we have a "sign with us or develop elsewhere" mantra though. What these contracts do offer must be considered fair value to get families on board.
Perhaps that is the sole agenda, and families are willing to sign because it's insurance. Or perhaps the players have other options, and the club makes an offer to keep them.

No I don’t think so either. I think the families prefer their kid try their luck overseas if they are able to do so. And maybe you right it’s to convince the families for kid to stay home. The only real option that goes away when signing a first team contract is college scholarships.

The academy team is still fairly new, but after some significant losses it feels like they signing anyone that shows good promise to not lose them completely, if they good enough they will find out along the way, or release them after playing in nycfc ii where I think I few were let go this year.

These kids are also signing contracts at somewhere around $70,000/year. If that's a multi-year deal, you're throwing some serious money at people. Especially for 15, 16, 17 year old kids and their families. At that age, you're not 100% convinced a prospect is going to work out. Guaranteeing them a 3 or 4-year deal at those numbers is guaranteeing money these kids may otherwise never see.

If the kid pans out, he can always be transferred out. If he doesn't pan out, the family and player have at least made at least a little money.

These kids are also signing contracts at somewhere around $70,000/year. If that's a multi-year deal, you're throwing some serious money at people. Especially for 15, 16, 17 year old kids and their families. At that age, you're not 100% convinced a prospect is going to work out. Guaranteeing them a 3 or 4-year deal at those numbers is guaranteeing money these kids may otherwise never see.

If the kid pans out, he can always be transferred out. If he doesn't pan out, the family and player have at least made at least a little money.
Enough to pay for (most) colleges. Diminishing the cost of scholarship loss.

Posting for no other reason than to keep the bookkeeping in order.
The Union announced their end of season roster decisions and Andres Perea is back on their roster. Obviously doesn't mean a deal can't be worked out down the line, but at the moment he's off NYCFC.

In his post-season Q&A, In response to the following question "The offseason allows you to make changes. What areas of the squad and Sporting department do you feel we need to strengthen? " Lee said among other things:

1. "There will be a lot of work with our coaches and scouts to make sure the team is in the best possible position when we return for pre-season in January."
2. "From a roster standpoint, we intend to add players across all outfield positions – defense, midfield and forward. We know we did not score enough goals this season to be a top team in the Eastern Conference so there will be a particular focus on the attacking positions, but we also need additional depth and quality across the whole roster if we are to be as successful and competitive as we want to be in all competitions."

Camp starts in January, first preseason game Feb 7th. Given typical visa timelines, we will need to start seeing these additions in the next few weeks if the intention is to give the majority of the team a preseason together.

• Haha
Reactions: Vallos and ALBNYfan
Camp starts in January, first preseason game Feb 7th. Given typical visa timelines, we will need to start seeing these additions in the next few weeks if the intention is to give the majority of the team a preseason together.
I don't think they will wait until the summer window, but I also doubt they get things done that early. I have not seen an announcement for transfer window dates in 2024. In 2023, the Primary WInter window did not open until January 31.

In the last 5 years we have signed a grand total of 2 players (not counting extensions) in the month of December.

Mad props to anyone who can name them.

Reactions: snugglefarts
In the last 5 years we have signed a grand total of 2 players (not counting extensions) in the month of December.

i think tony rocha was one of them. technically a trade iirc so not a signing i guess

Reactions: FootyLovin

Jesus Medina was one right? Or was he a January 1st signing. I know it was like “hey we have the last signing of the year or the first signing of the year.”.

Reactions: 413Blue
In his post-season Q&A, In response to the following question "The offseason allows you to make changes. What areas of the squad and Sporting department do you feel we need to strengthen? " Lee said among other things:

1. "There will be a lot of work with our coaches and scouts to make sure the team is in the best possible position when we return for pre-season in January."
2. "From a roster standpoint, we intend to add players across all outfield positions – defense, midfield and forward. We know we did not score enough goals this season to be a top team in the Eastern Conference so there will be a particular focus on the attacking positions, but we also need additional depth and quality across the whole roster if we are to be as successful and competitive as we want to be in all competitions."

To be fair, it's still not even the league's offseason. We've seen a couple moves, but not many around MLS. I don't get too worried about guys showing up at the start of training camp. As long as we make signings by the end of January, they will hopefully be ready to go for Opening Day.

One thing emphasized at the Town Hall was how hard it was to address last year’s roster turnover in the winter window. There are limited opportunities to sign good players when other leagues are mid-season. We had far too many departures last year to replace everyone, at least without sacrificing quality.

One example is Birk Risa. They had identified him as a prime candidate, but his club would not do the deal until summer.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
i think tony rocha was one of them. technically a trade iirc so not a signing i guess
Props! Rocha was one. I don't differentiate trades vs signings. Just focused on inbound.

Medina was January 1, 2018. So he missed on month and being a year further back.

The other December inbound was ...

Jose "Tony" Alfaro. Just last year.

Reactions: Joe_Cos and JayH