By The Numbers: What We've Done, What Must We Do

I'd say Pirlo adds a 47.65% greater chance of winning, but that's just a made up number with purposefully meaningless and deceptive precision thrown in for effect.
My own background and experience is that I'm self-taught, capable of greater complexity than I've shown here, but by no means qualified as an expert and won't even pretend to do regressions. There are fewer than 1-2 dozen practicing lawyers in the country who could match my Excel output at work, and while that's another made up number I do have very high confidence in it.
I believe it all. Besides 72.4% of statistics are made up.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I'd say Pirlo adds a 47.65% greater chance of winning, but that's just a made up number with purposefully meaningless and deceptive precision thrown in for effect.
My own background and experience is that I'm self-taught, capable of greater complexity than I've shown here, but by no means qualified as an expert and won't even pretend to do regressions. There are fewer than 1-2 dozen practicing lawyers in the country who could match my Excel output at work, and while that's another made up number I do have very high confidence in it.
if you can find more than a dozen lawyers who treat Excel as anything more than Word for Numbers and Lists and Lists of Numbers, I'd be shocked based on my experience.

One more here I'm afraid. Doh!

No lawyer here but I work with them quite a bit. Pain in the ass when I have to write anything.

I just have to ask, who on this forum (and especially on this thread) have some kind of stats backgrounds? I really would love for people to respond.

Two years ago I started a social media website for sharing visual data. While I was more focused on politics at the time, I think this is the community I was looking for.

I'm an mechanical/industrial engineer, switched jobs about a year ago from high volume manufacturing to working for a hospital system. In my new job I do a bunch of statistical modeling and data visualization surrounding arrivals, scheduling, and movement through various parts hospitals and other healthcare services. If your website is still active I'd love to check it out.

On another note, with all the betting on soccer that happens around the world I suspect that some extremely sophisticated predictive systems similar to what are being discussed exist but are they kept very proprietary.

Reactions: JayH and FootyLovin
I'm an mechanical/industrial engineer, switched jobs about a year ago from high volume manufacturing to working for a hospital system. In my new job I do a bunch of statistical modeling and data visualization surrounding arrivals, scheduling, and movement through various parts hospitals and other healthcare services. If your website is still active I'd love to check it out.

On another note, with all the betting on soccer that happens around the world I suspect that some extremely sophisticated predictive systems similar to what are being discussed exist but are they kept very proprietary.
Very cool stuff. I'd love to discuss over beer someday. I studied I/O Psych.

My site is SavvyRoo.com. It's still active though our revenue model has turned to something not driven by mass traffic. So I'm no longer focused on getting lots of activity there as I once did. (Though I'd be very curious to get a bunch of NYCFC data on there for my own selfish reasons.)

Reactions: JayH
if you can find more than a dozen lawyers who treat Excel as anything more than Word for Numbers and Lists and Lists of Numbers, I'd be shocked based on my experience.
True if you limit it to "pure" lawyers and exclude the set of people with actual dual training in law plus engineering or statistics or accounting or economics or finance, etc.

True if you limit it to "pure" lawyers and exclude the set of people with actual dual training in law plus engineering or statistics or accounting or economics or finance, etc.
True. But there are still plenty of lawyers practicing in those areas who are faking the hell out of it based on what I came across working as a consultant alongside attorneys on FIG projects.

One day, when I have Fuck You money, I'm going to stop paying bar dues just on principle. I don't need it. It's just the fear of having to go through that damn exam again if I ever for some reason did. Of course, that ignores the reality that I'm essentially un-hireable as an attorney given that I haven't practiced since my first year out of school.

You know it sucks when you leave law to chase a job in finance. I figured getting to bark back at partners sooner rather than later was more my speed.

Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski
True. But there are still plenty of lawyers practicing in those areas who are faking the hell out of it based on what I came across working as a consultant alongside attorneys on FIG projects.

One day, when I have Fuck You money, I'm going to stop paying bar dues just on principle. I don't need it. It's just the fear of having to go through that damn exam again if I ever for some reason did. Of course, that ignores the reality that I'm essentially un-hireable as an attorney given that I haven't practiced since my first year out of school.

You know it sucks when you leave law to chase a job in finance. I figured getting to bark back at partners sooner rather than later was more my speed.
I look forward to the day when MM has Fuck You money, just not as much as I look forward to me having it.

Damn it, I had just forgotten you were a F@*%ing lawyer and you went and reminded me.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I just have to ask, who on this forum (and especially on this thread) have some kind of stats backgrounds? I really would love for people to respond.

Two years ago I started a social media website for sharing visual data. While I was more focused on politics at the time, I think this is the community I was looking for.

Present and accounted for.

Reactions: FootyLovin