By The Numbers: What We've Done, What Must We Do

So if we can only lose about 5 games, you have to assume losses from galaxy, Dallas, Vancouver away and both against DC. All other games are basically must win, and a few ties sprinkled in. Tall order
So this win basically makes up for the Montreal loss, and we are back on track with needing to win all our games except LA, Dallas, DC and Vancouver. Columbus is a must win

Reactions: joe
So this win basically makes up for the Montreal loss, and we are back on track with needing to win all our games except LA, Dallas, DC and Vancouver. Columbus is a must win
I'm not quite sure it makes up for the Montreal loss, as beating Montreal would have reduced their current point total, and reducing DCUs point total does nothing for us.

But definitely a huge win.

I'm not quite sure it makes up for the Montreal loss, as beating Montreal would have reduced their current point total, and reducing DCUs point total does nothing for us.

But definitely a huge win.
Montreal will really have to collapse for us to catch them. I'm focusing solely on overtaking Orlando and NE

Reactions: The Toe
6 more wins. Take down Crew x 2 and NER for 3 of them. Otherwise, even 6 may not be enough. 3 more need to come from Orlando. If we lose one of those 4, we could need 46 points.

It's probably more important that Dynamo beat NER than Sounders over Orlando.

In any event, anything less than 45 for us means we will need some sirprises elsewhere combined with absolutely taking all 12 from Crew, NER, & Mickey.

Reactions: Paul and JayH
Jesus fuck, we're all lawyers?

Another lawyer, checking in. I'm also one of those elusive ones Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan was talking about with an economics degree.

EDIT: Anyway, the reason I came to this thread. Today sucked. Orlando, New England, and Montreal all got 3 points. Not looking good.
Another attorney hear... JD CPA... btw, any attorneys work in labor law?

Reactions: leilanikali420
Another attorney hear... JD CPA... btw, any attorneys work in labor law?
Yup, labor and employment lawyer here. Big firm, management side, lots of stories.

Never would have thought that I would be spending a beautiful summer night watching a Houston NE MLS game on my iPad. I have now officially entered the NYCFC fan geekdom stratosphere.

Catching up to New England is something that simply will not happen, they are going to run hot right up until the end and into the playoffs. They do it every year, and with Jermaine Jones back and healthy now, they will finish very strong. Hopefully we run as hot as them and still sneak into the playoffs! Either way, I truly hope it doesn't all come down to that season finale, because they will be tough to beat.

Reactions: JayH
Despite the great win, this was not a great week.

New England's win pushed them into 4th place on the PPG Table, and now idle Montreal is in sixth. The projected Sixth Place PPG is up to 45. For the last few weeks it has been moving in the wrong direction. I don't expect it to go higher than this and it might yet slip but that's where we are now.
Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 9.45.55 PM.png
Moving ahead of Orlando - slightly - is nice, but the harder task still lies ahead, and we still have to stay ahead of ORL, and actually catch them on the points table where we are one behind. We are also just one point behind Montreal in actual points, but they have 3 games in hand. Unless they lose them all, we have a ways to go.

There were discussions in this and other threads about Montreal’s schedule. They have some easy games but also have a lot of midweek games. On the easy side they have 1 Home game against Philly, TWO home against Chicago, and away at Colorado.
In terms of playing a lot of games with little rest the busiest part of their schedule starts Saturday Sept 12, when they play the Galaxy in LA. Then on Wednesday Sept 16 they are in San Jose; then Saturday Sept 19 home against New England, and Tuesday Sept 22 they are Home to Chicago.
Their second busy stretch starts Saturday Oct 3 at Orlando; Wednesday Oct 7 at NYRB; then Saturday Oct 10 in Colorado.
IMO they could have trouble there but I would not count on it by any means.

For us, all of the following are Win-Lose-Draw
5-2-3 45 points
5-3-2 44 points
4-2-4 43 points
5-4-1 43 points
4-3-3 42 points
4-4-2 41 points

The lower point totals will become irrelevant soon if other games don't start going our way.

6 more wins. Take down Crew x 2 and NER for 3 of them. Otherwise, even 6 may not be enough. 3 more need to come from Orlando. If we lose one of those 4, we could need 46 points.

The only sure way to make the teams ahead of us lose is to beat them ourselves. Those are exactly our most important games. Maybe add in Toronto, but they have a heavy home-weighted schedule remaining. We don't play Montreal any more. We play Columbus 2 of the next 3 games. We have played the same number of games and they have a 7-point lead. If we beat them twice we cut that to one. The bad news is that in-between we're playing at LA while Columbus is home to SKC. SKC is no party but they have a +13 HGD and -1 RGD so Columbus has a much better shot than they might have.
Columbus's other games are
HOME: Dallas, Portland, DC
AWAY: Philadelphia, DC, RB, Toronto.

Toronto's remaining games
HOME: ORL, Montreal, New England, Colorado, Chicago, Philadelphia, RB, Columbus
AWAY: Seattle, NYCFC, Montreal
Damn that's a lot of home games.

Despite the great win, this was not a great week
New England's win pushed them into 4th place on the PPG Table, and now idle Montreal is in sixth. The projected Sixth Place PPG is up to 45. For the last few weeks it has been moving in the wrong direction. I don't expect it to go higher than this and it might yet slip but that's where we are now.[

Very sobering reality check.

Reactions: mgarbowski