NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2021

As usual, link to the correct time, otherwise skip to 45:17. ExtraTime talking about us and asking - "did NYCFC have a statement win?"

I mostly lean to it was not a statement win because (1) that was barely Orlando's b-team, and (2) nobody knows if any win is a statement win until weeks or months later -- sports history is filled with thousands of rousing wins that partisans hoped would lead to glory but were just blips and never led to anything. Now on the first point I also remember losing a couple of games I think in consecutive years to Portland when we were similarly down to scrubs and lacked even a full bench, but Timbers fans say they own us and all we can offer is excuses. So, Eff Orlando this was a legit massacre.

But statement wins are like Nostradamus predictions which are only invoked after the major events they purportedly predicted. If you have to wait until things happen to go back to the past to say "this is when things changed," or "that's what this cryptic text meant" then there really was no statement made at the time.

Also, I liked their Taty discussion. But they're only half right about Maxi. He was great this game but he's no longer consistently the engine that powers this team. Unless this was a Maxi statement game and he's like that for the rest of the season. Which we won't know for a couple of months. ;)

Last edited:
I mostly lean to it was not a statement win because (1) that was barely Orlando's b-team, and (2) nobody knows if any win is a statement win until weeks or months later -- sports history is filled with thousands of rousing wins that partisans hoped would lead to glory but were just blips and never led to anything. Now on the first point I also remember losing a couple of games I think in consecutive years to Portland when we were similarly down to scrubs and lacked even a full bench, but Timbers fans say they own us and all we can offer is excuses. So, Eff Orlando this was a legit massacre.

But statement wins are like Nostradamus predictions which are only invoked after the major events they purportedly predicted. If you have to wait until things happen to go back to the past to say "this is when things changed," or "that's what this cryptic text meant" then there really was no statement made at the time.

Also, I liked their Taty discussion. But they're only half right about Maxi. He was great this game but he's no longer consistently the engine that powers this team. Unless this was a Maxi statement game and he's like that for the rest of the season. Which we won't know for a couple of months. ;)
I really appreciate the full-circleness of this post.

Definitely not a statement win imo. I think what this game did was let us get some confidence and renew the energy and passion. I watch all the post game press confs and the players and ronny always say they play every game with the same passion and intensity, but I thought they definitely played with a higher level of confidence vs Orlando. Maybe that has to do with it being Orlando's scrubs, but who cares. Sometimes you need that kind of game to get the engines going. Friday will be a good test game. CLB have screwed us too many times this season when we deserved to win. It would be an amazing feeling to drop 5 goals on them too and get a clean sheet. Still wouldn't be a statement win, just a good one.

When we win the MLS cup, I'll call that a statement win. :)

• Haha
Reactions: JCMore and moogoo
Our Starting XI on Sunday had a total of 103 starts on the season. Orlando's had 73.

NYC had 7 of 11 most likely starters. Orlando had 5, including 3 of their back 4 and their goalkeeper.

They were more heavily rotated, but not by a lot. This was also a sign of our depth.

Reactions: Kjbert
Reactions: moogoo

Medina
"And yet, it almost seems like people outside Yankee Stadium haven't noticed — somehow, the doozy below wasn't even nominated for AT&T Goal of the Week."
Well for one thing, the MLS gang couldn't even figure out who scored that goal at the time:
View attachment 11143

Mls pundits even can't believe medina scored
And if anyone thinks I'm going to let people forget this beauty from April 15, put that straight out of your mind:
The hero Gotham needs
giphy.gif

Last edited:
As much as I like Chanot, I think we really need to start looking at another great-calibre defensive partner for Callens.

I think at the very least, we need to ban him from doing backwards head passes to johnson because a) it's risky b) johnson is not always ready for it and c) it has an extremely poor rate of success the last few times he's attempted it. There really is no reason to do it. As a defender, his priority should be safety. Blind, headed back passes is about as risky as it gets.

I think at the very least, we need to ban him from doing backwards head passes to johnson because a) it's risky b) johnson is not always ready for it and c) it has an extremely poor rate of success the last few times he's attempted it. There really is no reason to do it. As a defender, his priority should be safety. Blind, headed back passes is about as risky as it gets.
Please don't remind me

• Sad
Reactions: moogoo