NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2021

So, once every 3-4 years.

Michael Kay strikes me as an old school alpha sports fan, who loves everything else but hates soccer. Maybe I'm wrong - I hope so - but he certainly hasn't gone out of his way to pay attention to the Yankees' cousin in light blue.

I don't think he hates soccer, I just don't think he cares about it one way or the other. It is a little tough to listen to that interview, but at least they're doing it, and you have to respect him for trying to conduct an interview on a topic he knows very little about.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
No it’s come up more than that. I listen to Kay maybe 5-10 hours a year total, so really not much, and have heard at least a couple of (admittedly brief) NYCFC segments in the last 5-6 years. His show is simulcast by YES and I think they encourage it.
On your other point, I think you’re right about his level of interest, but he’s too gracious to be obvious or obnoxious about it. Far better than Francesca or Russo.
Francesca asking whether players can use both of their feet is just annoyingly angering and sad.

this week's power rankings with glenn crooks as the guest.

Crooks: "They're not a great team right now."

First question about the team's performance this year:

"It's been a crazy year. You know i think that we would expect to be higher in the standings than we are now. We have very clear expectations for the club every year, and that's to be a team competing for MLS cup and to be at the top of the standings and you know, we were sitting in the 2nd spot for a lot of the year, went through a tough stretch, and i think that really there's this feeling in the ATL game with Gudi's equalizer in the 90th minute there, what an incredible free kick, and i think that just got a huge monkey off the team's back. For whatever reason we were having trouble scoring goals, as everybody knows, and getting that point [...] and then coming back home the floodgates opened."

Did my best job at copying down the quote.

Looks like the FO and the sporting dep. know and feel the same level of disappointment/frustration at not having more points. "We have very clear expectations for the club every year, and that's to be a team competing for MLS cup and to be at the top of the standings"

The next questions are also good, and I recommend people listen to the podcast.

City Assist | Main St. Board Game Cafe feat. The Cooligans

2,000 to help him and his business.
(Actually, this place looks super fun and I might wanna go LOL)

City Assist | Main St. Board Game Cafe feat. The Cooligans

2,000 to help him and his business.
(Actually, this place looks super fun and I might wanna go LOL)

this place reminds me of a spot in the upper west side ( i guess technically morningside Heights) called Hex and Company. I liked the concept of it. Couple of drinks and chill while you play board games with your buddies.

Last edited:
this place reminds me of a spot in the upper west side ( i guess technically morningside Heights) called Hex and Company. I liked the concept of it. Couple of drinks and chill while you play board games with your buddies.
There are several around the city-- Brooklyn Strategist in Carroll Gardens, The Uncommons just south of Washington Square Park, another one in Park Slope whose name I forget.... they are great. 10 bucks a person for a few hours, plus drinks/snacks, all sorts of cool games to choose from-- strategy games, party games, card games....

Reactions: Kjbert
There are several around the city-- Brooklyn Strategist in Carroll Gardens, The Uncommons just south of Washington Square Park, another one in Park Slope whose name I forget.... they are great. 10 bucks a person for a few hours, plus drinks/snacks, all sorts of cool games to choose from-- strategy games, party games, card games....

yea i dont know if its new thing but i like the idea of it. ive done it like three times with friends.

watching charlie davies's face talking about the revs losing is great.

surprise surprise.. they all predict we'll lose because we're missing taty.

Last edited:
It’s extremely sad and disappointing that it takes an MLB work stoppage and NYCFC reaching the championship to get something this team should have had from the beginning from its broadcast partner.

This is not fair. YES has been doing shows somewhat regularly since last season. They did a bunch of stuff during the pandemic, they did a playoff preview last year, they did a season preview this year ... maybe if more people watched they'd do more. They've definitely increased the visibility of their NYCFC coverage over the last year or two.