NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2023

Eh, I'm just a late gen boomer who ended up hating most boomer culture, including especially the giant nostalgia wave that overwhelmed everything between my ages of ~15-35, plus all things hippie. Seeing people younger than me enjoy that stuff is a mild irritant because it disrupts my illusion that mainline boomer shit is shit and everyone sane knows it. Some of the people involved in this music convo are in that category. I made a joke.
For me, I was tired of the bullshit pop/fake glam metal/boring '80s rock that was popular when I was growing up. Rock/soul/funk from the late '60s and early '70s felt more authentic to me, especially bands like the Grateful Dead who were trying to do something different every night on stage.

I never understood how younger generations gravitated to the '80s and '90s, because to my ears, other than punk, grunge and some hip hop, it all sucked.

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

For me, I was tired of the bullshit pop/fake glam metal/boring '80s rock that was popular when I was growing up. Rock/soul/funk from the late '60s and early '70s felt more authentic to me, especially bands like the Grateful Dead who were trying to do something different every night on stage.

I never understood how younger generations gravitated to the '80s and '90s, because to my ears, other than punk, grunge and some hip hop, it all sucked.

Same. But have developed an appreciation for all forms of music later in age, if viewed through the right lens. And now I find that truth in country. Country also has the guitar/bass/drums rock combo in used too.

Thanks, but this is the best movie scene ever.

And Skipper is my spirit animal.
All that movie knowledge in that head of yours and you never saw Legally Blonde? Really?

Same. But have developed an appreciation for all forms of music later in age, if viewed through the right lens. And now I find that truth in country. Country also has the guitar/bass/drums rock combo in used too.
Oh, the Dead led me back to country music (Willie, Johnny, Merle, Marty, Waylon, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, etc.). They also led me to African music, jazz, salsa, Indian classical music, blues and other types of music.

They gravitate to it since the songs end in less than 37 minutes.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Eh, I'm just a late gen boomer who ended up hating most boomer culture, including especially the giant nostalgia wave that overwhelmed everything between my ages of ~15-35, plus all things hippie. Seeing people younger than me enjoy that stuff is a mild irritant because it disrupts my illusion that mainline boomer shit is shit and everyone sane knows it. Some of the people involved in this music convo are in that category. I made a joke.

eric cartman sleeping GIF by South Park

I wasn’t taking offense. Just looking for clarification. I’m probably closer to you in age and viewpoint but at some point I decided to stop worrying about millennials and Zoomers and their attraction to boomer stuff.

Except Yacht Rock. It sucked then and it sucks now. No amount of reassessment can wash out that cultural blotch. You can call it design, but a stain is a stain.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Says every Dead hater giggling at their critique while the deadhead they're talking to completely fails to understand that they meant that as a bad thing.
Dude, I don’t want the space to go under 37 minutes. That would be epic.

Reactions: FootyLovin