Your Honest Thought's On Mcfc And Cfg ?

Well, let's see. When the club was announced Soriano was telling ANYONE who would listen, "this is not a marketing ploy. This is a real New York club. A separate club." he uttered the same message when asked, point blank if the uniforms would be Manchester clones or not.

Then we received uniforms Manchester fans dubbed "The best Manchester City uniforms they'd ever seen."

Then Manchester caught eyes for a player we signed and we learned the whole separate club thing was a total lie.

Now Vieira was going to leave Manchester and lo and behold 10 wins isn't enough in New York and we fire our coach after 1 season and surprise, surprise we're keeping Vieira in the CFG family.

The writing is on the wall here.

I half expect the club to be renamed "New York EDS" next year but that would obviously ruin the marketing ploy that they said wasn't the objective of the club but obviously is.

We are a farm team.

Oh and let's not forget, they overrode our coach on a young, electrifying player in Fernando Uribe and saddled us with a 36 year old defensive liability. But hey, he'll sell some tickets and shirts and make some headlines. Who cares if he's not a fit for the team at all?

Yeah, we love CFG and Manchester...

Just one question and I mean this sincere.. why do you support NYCFC if it's that bad?

I've already voiced my thought's on Vieira and how Kreis got the sack was wrong and how are the shirts the same when one club wears Adidas and one wears Nike ? if anything the only thing that City will copy from you guys is the crst on the shirt that will change on our shirts from next season going to a round one.

I can understand some of your anger but I don't get some of your points?

if anything the only thing that City will copy from you guys is the crst on the shirt that will change on our shirts from next season going to a round one.
A round crest? That's an outrage! :)

Not sure if I'm really one to complain though as all my City shirts say Thomas Cook on them.

Reactions: mcfc9320group
as long as CFG keeps writing checks for NYCFC, i could care less what they do.

Other MLS teams may win more games, but how many MLS teams can say they don't have to worry about money?

And that is a huge point because there's so many teams in the UK that are in huge debt but they get better respect in the media and fans because they're jealous of what CFG have got

Reactions: gbservis
Just one question and I mean this sincere.. why do you support NYCFC if it's that bad?

I've already voiced my thought's on Vieira and how Kreis got the sack was wrong and how are the shirts the same when one club wears Adidas and one wears Nike ? if anything the only thing that City will copy from you guys is the crst on the shirt that will change on our shirts from next season going to a round one.

We're all pretty sure he's a troll and most have him on ignore. It's best not to prod that one.

CFG. I'm impartial. They are an ownership group to which I owe no allegiance. This isn't meant as a slight to MCFC fans either. I know (and understand) how important the Sheikh has been to Manchester City but from my perspective NYC2 would have happened regardless of the ownership group. It may have taken another half decade but Don Garber (head of MLS) wanted it, so it was going to happen.

MCFC. I started out impartial. Over the first couple months I started to grow to dislike them immensely. Between the (now trivial) jersey reveal, Lampard fiasco and a few other albeit minor issues, I began to dislike MCFC very much. Not to mention the RIDICULOUS! amounts of trolling from various MCFC fans on this forum. Most importantly was Wilfried Bony. As a Swansea supporter it was crushing to see him move on to MCFC. Knowing full well that he went from being a star to a very expensive bench warmer.

As the season moved on I slowly started to soften up to MCFC. I've met a lot of genuine City fans between here and the Supporters Group that I belong to. As I started developing a soft spot for City I joined a couple FB groups, which has helped me learn more about the team. 93:20 being one of those groups...which btw, you've got some great content over there.

I won't call myself a fan [yet] but if I had to choose a number 2 EPL team, MCFC would probably occupy that space.
  1. Frank Lampard should ideally score 2 dozen goals for us next season then spontaneously combust.
  2. I trust Ferran Soriano less than I do opposing counsel because in nearly 30 years of practice they have collectively lied to me less than he has in not quite 2 years.
  3. If a genie came and offered me a weird, limited but powerful wish to render a single sports team anywhere in the world a nullity as if it never existed it would be MCFC. Seeing as I've grown up and lived five decades in a city with built-in local sports rivalries, it is kind of amazing that MCFC managed that with only 18 months of deception and betrayal.
  4. You I like.
  5. OTOH, I have used the forum's Ignore feature with respect to roughly 60-70% of visiting MC fans on the forum because as einwindir just noted, wow. Those MC fans have similar opinions of me.
  6. Once again, you I like.
  7. I'm kind of an outlier.
  8. Despite this I wish your group well and hope you all have fun. I prefer my irrational emotions to be sort of not directed at actual people. and keep it a harmless hobby.
  9. Cheers!

^^^Best posts ever.......

When it comes to sports in a city like New York that's quite easy. On the Slime Scale, CFG are amateurs when compared to the Steinbrenners, Dolans and Wilponzis.......

didnt read the rest of the posts but here what i think in a nutshell: ownership is what it is and the whole minor league thing is whatevs, expected and CAN be an advantage if done correctly but so far that FO is iffy. also didnt like that lampard lied about coming and stuff.
also dont go on expecting everyone to automatically be Man city fan...lol i remember during the summer a couple of man city players were gonna do the coin toss or something before the nycfc game and when they were introduced half the stadium booed ( including me :D )

^^^Best posts ever.......

When it comes to sports in a city like New York that's quite easy. On the Slime Scale, CFG are amateurs when compared to the Steinbrenners, Dolans and Wilponzis.......
I agree. I think the good thing about sacking Kreis is that CFG is now 100% accountable for the product on the field. Can't blame the American MLS manager. I am very interesting to see what moves are made this offseason, but I think the true telling of what CFG thinks of NYCFC will be the DPs we sign to replace Lampard and Pirlo. Are they going to sign DPs to sell tickets and expand their brand or sign DPs with winning in mind? Of course signing someone like Ronaldo can do both and we should be happy that we have an ownership group with the pockets to do so.

Would we have entitled, patronizing foreigners coming over here to give assurances on our team with out CFG?

I have what some would view as a dilemma. I’m a fairly long-time (approx. 20 years) Man U fan (please don’t hold it against me) supporting a CFG and effectively MC affiliated team. But I have no problem with that. It was a little strange and awkward at first putting on a jersey that looked quite like a MC jersey. I remember one time before the season started I went to the mall here in NYC, and I was proudly wearing my new blue NYCFC jersey, but my little boy happened to be wearing a Man U jersey. You can tell who the soccer fans were (mostly foreign tourists) because they kept looking at us in amazement and laughing, thinking I was wearing a MC jersey and my 3 year old was revolting against his dad with the enemy’s jersey.

But having a team in NYC has been my dream for so many years. My dad used to take me to the original Cosmos games almost weekly in the ‘70s and ‘80s, rooting on Pele, Giorgio Chinaglia, Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto, etc. If there was a special occasion or a birthday party, it was at a Cosmos game. It was a sad time when that ended, and ever since I would hope and dream about another team here to support. A fun indoor soccer team (the NY Arrows) was more of a goofy temporary but not real fix, and I became an avid supporter of our national teams. I then religiously watched the foreign leagues and started supporting Man U, first, as a result of friends and family who were affiliated with the team. It was great to have a team I could call my own, but I could still never call myself a homegrown fan, and seeing the games in-person was something that was much more difficult, time-consuming and expensive than simply jumping on a subway train or hopping in the car for a short drive. At the same time, my dad and I bought season tickets to the first season of the Metro Stars, but didn’t really feel the affinity or the connection to that team, so we were one and done. For those 20 years I continued to daydream about the idea of a real NYC team joining the MLS.

The announcement of NYCFC was truly a dream-come-true, and even with the CFG/MC connection, it didn’t really even phase me in the slightest. If they were responsible for bringing a team here (if not them, whoever it would have been), my Man U connection really was an after-thought. And if their acumen, resources, scouting system, and money could help my new team (the success, degree and extent of that remains to be seen), I’m even happier. Though my inherent bias against them also results in my being more critical of decisions, as well as some of their fans who have taken a more unreasonable view of the relationship (you, the OP, seem to be in the minority). Not surprisingly, I could still never root for MC, but there is no reason one should think that I would have to. It seems that I do (albeit unintentionally) follow them more closely though with more interest (not a rooting interest, but an interest in youth, scouting, style of play, etc.). I’m all-in with NYCFC, taking my family to games the way my dad did. While I still regularly watch and root for Man U, my passion truthfully (and I guess naturally and not surprisingly) has waned a little bit with my dedication to NYCFC, which makes it even easier to brush off the ribbing I get from my pals when they see me wearing blue!

Last edited:

I've already voiced my thought's on Vieira and how Kreis got the sack was wrong and how are the shirts the same when one club wears Adidas and one wears Nike? if anything the only thing that City will copy from you guys is the crst on the shirt that will change on our shirts from next season going to a round one.

Yes, surely no one could possibly mistake our uniforms for Manchester City uniforms... One wears Nike, the other Adidas....worlds apart.

So Manchester is going to switch to a round logo? That pretty much confirms that that logo "contest" was staged, too. As we theorized this would happen. I see they are "consulting" your fans like they "consulted" our fans.

As for why I stay on, having a stupid owner is nothing new. Especially in New York. A team is more than a stupid owner.

Last edited:
I'm optimistic about CFG. The negatives have been minor to me while the positives give me a lot to be grateful for. The Jersey thing was a minor annoyance as I thought a new team in a city like NYC deserved some level of individuality. Melborne and Yokohama both have unique kits, why did we get the standard blue? The Lampard thing causes me to dislike Lampard and doesn't really affect my CFG feelings. CFG did what was best for MCFC which I can rationalize. What I can't shake is all the stuff Lampard said repeatedly when he signed about how excited he was to come here and build something and how committed to this he was. I get killed on here when I say this but I do think Lampard could have said no, I gave me word I want to go.

On a positive side I'm grateful we have a team that CFG is investing in. I think they under estimated the MLS a bit and I'm looking forward to see how they adjust. I like the EDS relationship because it gives us an advantage in a league with rules specifically designed to eliminate individual team advantages. Being able to take a short subway ride to watch legendary players like Villa, Pirlo and Lampard is incredible. But I agree with EganSoccerWords derek_villa and others that we need to find a balance and get some younger DPs in the next way. I think CFG wants to win. I believe they will learn and adjust and we will be one of the best teams in the league within a few years.

So Manchester is going to switch to a round logo? That pretty much confirms that that logo "contest" was staged, too. As we theorized this would happen. I see they are "consulting" your fans like they "consulted" our fans.
Manchester City has had a round badge only since 1930. Yeah, I agree with you, I hate new things too.

Yes, surely no one could possibly mistake our uniforms for Manchester City uniforms... One wears Nike, the other Adidas....worlds apart.

As for why I stay on, having a stupid owner is nothing new. Especially in New York. A team is more than a stupid owner.

it seems your avatar will be outdated soon ;-)

I'm optimistic about CFG. The negatives have been minor to me while the positives give me a lot to be grateful for. The Jersey thing was a minor annoyance as I thought a new team in a city like NYC deserved some level of individuality. Melborne and Yokohama both have unique kits, why did we get the standard blue? The Lampard thing causes me to dislike Lampard and doesn't really affect my CFG feelings. CFG did what was best for MCFC which I can rationalize. What I can't shake is all the stuff Lampard said repeatedly when he signed about how excited he was to come here and build something and how committed to this he was. I get killed on here when I say this but I do think Lampard could have said no, I gave me word I want to go.

On a positive side I'm grateful we have a team that CFG is investing in. I think they under estimated the MLS a bit and I'm looking forward to see how they adjust. I like the EDS relationship because it gives us an advantage in a league with rules specifically designed to eliminate individual team advantages. Being able to take a short subway ride to watch legendary players like Villa, Pirlo and Lampard is incredible. But I agree with EganSoccerWords derek_villa and others that we need to find a balance and get some younger DPs in the next way. I think CFG wants to win. I believe they will learn and adjust and we will be one of the best teams in the league within a few years.

A brilliant and fair post mate and I can't disagree with anything really

Reactions: JayH
I've enjoyed reading these.It's mostly calmer than this issue is usually discussed and it's been interesting to see how some folk have adjusted since the whole Lampard thing originally played out.