2022 Roster Discussion

I believe Chanot was once included on the year-end departure post with no mention of a renegotiation. And then he came back. There may have been one or two more like that. Maybe Gudi becomes one of them?

I believe Chanot was once included on the year-end departure post with no mention of a renegotiation. And then he came back. There may have been one or two more like that. Maybe Gudi becomes one of them?

yes. chanot was listed as having his contract option declined in the past, but he never had a tweet saying "THANK YOU MAXIME" like these guys do

Reactions: JayH and Kjbert
My 12 players would be (HGs are protected):

Johnson
Chanot
Callens
Tinnerholm
Parks
Morales
Moralez
Taty
Talles
Andrade
Santi

and then Isi or Cacha. I bet they would keep Cacha

How many guys can we protect in the expansion draft ?

edit : found it. It’s 12 players.

The list of eligible players was supposed to be made available me by 2 PM today

12, right?

EDIT: didn't see your edit -- my bad!

Reactions: Kjbert

You are correct. November 29th - contract declined. December 8th - re-signed

Including McFarlane (the last academy signing) and Mitrita, we have the full 30 people on roster. That means, if we want to add any new players, we need to cut back somewhere.

Medina is a DP and makes over $1 million/year. Was this the end of his contract? I think it was. That means he would have needed to come back on a lower salary, because there is no way we sign him for that much.

Gudi makes $400K/year, which puts him 13th on the roster. For what we get, he is very affordable. On the other hand, we have 3 other LBs on the roster behind him. Still, this one is a head scratcher.

Torres is the lowest paid player in our "Senior Roster" at $105K. He hasn't played, and I suppose the Club wants to take their chance on a different guy.

Rocha sits on our Supplemental Roster and makes less than Torres. Given that he was in line to be started against Philly in the Eastern Conference Final, this seems good value for money. This one is also a surprise.

If Isi isn't protected, I'd think he'd be taken in the Expansion Draft (dependent on who else from MLS is available). At his best, he can be a 15 goal scorer in a season on a decent salary for that production.

Reactions: canchon and Kjbert
We now have 25 active players, including Mitrita and not including Maxi. So 26?

If Isi isn't protected, I'd think he'd be taken in the Expansion Draft (dependent on who else from MLS is available). At his best, he can be a 15 goal scorer in a season on a decent salary for that production.

Do we pay Charlotte not to take anyone?

So they leave Maxi because if he’s drafted he’ll just go home to Argentina. I get it.

But Anton. Wow.

Reactions: Shwafta
So we protected Gloster. And Barazza. Gloster I get. But Barazza? Isn’t the easiest position to fill backup GK?

Unprotected Players
  • Amundsen, Malte
  • Latinovich, Vuk
  • Medina, Jesus
  • Mitrita, Alexandru
  • Mizell, Cody
  • Moralez, Maximiliano
  • Rocha, Tony
  • Tajouri-Shradi, Ismael
  • Thorarinsson, Gudmundur
  • Tinnerholm, Anton
  • Torres, Juan Pablo

anton is a shocker.

hes not gonna be back till summer? earliest? charlotte not taking him
I don’t know. I read on here that we expect him back in March. I thought he was out for all of next year but apparently I was wrong.

anton is a shocker.

No it's not. They're not taking a guy who won't play almost all of 2022. Smart strategy. They've exposed a bunch of players that aren't appealing to select. They won't take Maxi because they know he won't sign with them. And a lot of guys unprotected are guys without a contract for next year. Isi seems to be the only appealing player worth taking. Maybe Malte, but that's it. So the question becomes: Does Charlotte want a high-priced attacker with consistency/health issues, or are they looking more for projects. This list seems to be built with the idea that even though there's talent being exposed, it may not be what Charlotte is looking for. Smart piece of business by David Lee.

And if Isi is selected, we'll miss him but we will also be able to replace him.