2022 Roster Discussion

Put me with K Kjbert in the worried about Heber camp. I hope you're right, but after the hat trick in CCL early in 2020, he did nothing in 12 games last year before he was hurt. I gave him a pass because it was Covid year. I thought his movement was not as good and wondered if he was not as fit as usual - and if so, somewhat understandable. He also suffered from a lack of service.
But we're now running on basically 2 full years where he has not contributed. It's not his fault, but I can't ignore it either. On top of that, and I wrote this up a few month ago, his 2019 numbers, specifically the amount by which his Goals exceeded his xG, was off the charts, in a way that players almost never repeat. So even if he gets back to his regular self it's unlikely to match his 2019 results.
I don't want to get rid of him. And maybe Andrade and Thiago step up. But I do fear we're going to miss Taty a lot when he's gone, and none of the parts will equal his whole.

Taty covers up a lot of holes in our offense. Without googling it, who was our second leading scorer this season?

For what worked this season, from the high press, to crosses into the box and Johnson skipping the press and going direct to Taty, there isn’t a player on the roster who can replicate that. Heber and Talles can’t press like Taty. Heber can’t hold up. Neither is dynamic in the air. Heber used to be a great finisher in the box but hasn’t done anything in two years and is coming off a massive knee injury that has frankly made me more worried as his recovery just hasn’t materialized. And Talles is an unknown both positionally and ceiling wise.

I’d feel more confident offloading Heber, keeping Talles and bringing in a replacement 9.

That's now. You couldn't say that about Taty when he first arrived. Taty was a flop machine. Every single tap and he fell over. He was neymar 2.0 in the flopping department. But he's learned and developed. Gotten stronger. Somehow developed a hold up play talent and became an aerial threat. Worked hard to develop an engine that let him play nearly every game for 90 mins and not stop! He was the ngolo kante of forwards with his engine.

Talles is far from Taty. But so was Taty when he first arrived. Talles and even Thiago both have potential and need to be developed, just like Taty. Whether they turn into gems like Taty did or not, only time will tell.

Talles is a negative defensively for how we play. Part of our offense is our high press. We can’t play that way with Talles. I’ve yet to see Talles put in 1/4 the effort that Taty has. He also probably has more raw talent in his pinky than Taty. But our offense starts with our CF harassing the GK and CBs. At minimum, our CF needs pace and effort. Talles has shown neither.

Héber has signed a new contract with the Club through December 2023 with an option for an additional 12 months

Nicolás Acevedo has signed a contract extension until December 2025 with an option to extend until December 2026

Gedion Zelalem has signed a new one-year contract through December 2022 with option years in 2023 and 2024

Héber has signed a new contract with the Club through December 2023 with an option for an additional 12 months

Nicolás Acevedo has signed a contract extension until December 2025 with an option to extend until December 2026

Gedion Zelalem has signed a new one-year contract through December 2022 with option years in 2023 and 2024

they realllly must trust nico. im surprised at the length of the contract i guess injuries are not too much of a concern?

Reactions: Kjbert

holy fucking what?

The Club declined the options for four players: Jesús Medina, Juan Pablo Torres, Gudi Thórarinsson, and Tony Rocha.

• Wow
Reactions: CCMore and Kjbert

holy fucking what?

The Club declined the options for four players: Jesús Medina, Juan Pablo Torres, Gudi Thórarinsson, and Tony Rocha.

Yea really surprised they let go of Gudi so quickly. Guess It'll be gloster/malte going forward unless we sign a new left back. Medina is a bit unexpected, but also expected at the same time. Rocha.. i kinda feel bad for. Guy was a solid role player and a solid backup. But I guess they want to give that spot to Haak.

Perhaps there are some contract negotiations we don't know about?

holy fucking what?

only gudi is shocking...maybe they working on new deal? medina/ rocha i think were final year. i legit forgot about torres

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
Yea really surprised they let go of Gudi so quickly. Guess It'll be gloster/malte going forward unless we sign a new left back. Medina is a bit unexpected, but also expected at the same time. Rocha.. i kinda feel bad for. Guy was a solid role player and a solid backup. But I guess they want to give that spot to Haak.

Perhaps there are some contract negotiations we don't know about?
They said maxi is the only one they're reaching out to with a new offer.
> Maxi Moralez is out of contract at the end of 2021 and the Club is currently in discussions with him about an extension.

which means the rest will be departing.

I feel bad for Rocha. I told him at the event how I love him coming on and being an absolute wall when he does, he said "That's what i dooooooo!" and walked off with a "peace" hand lol. Gonna miss his solid shifts, but like you said they are likely going to try to give this to Haak.

> Maxi Moralez is out of contract at the end of 2021 and the Club is currently in discussions with him about an extension.

I feel bad for Rocha. I told him at the event how I love him coming on and being an absolute wall when he does, he said "That's what i dooooooo!" and walked off with a "peace" hand lol. Gonna miss his solid shifts, but like you said they are likely going to try to give this to Haak.

Yea.. twitter already has the goodbye/thank tweets for the four of them. definitely no negotiations in the works for any of them.

its weird though, like he is the starting LB, amundsen reallly needs to work on parts of his game and needs to learn how to make crosses. we lose crosses and even set piece power.

its weird though, like he is the starting LB, amundsen reallly needs to work on parts of his game and needs to learn how to make crosses. we lose crosses and even set piece power.

Amundsen pisses me off constantly with how scared he plays. He was basically Eric miller 2.0. Rarely attacked forward or made a line splitting pass or put in early, but dangerous crosses. He needs to pick up his game. Otherwise, I hope gloster or whoever we sign (if we sign) does the job.

Medina - good. That means at least one DP spot open.

Gudi - surprised. But maybe it was a mutual parting of ways. He’s been clear I think about not liking the LB role

Rocha - tough business. Again, he’s earned the ability to go play somewhere and I think he can contribute somewhere.

JPT - it is what it is

Medina - good. That means at least one DP spot open.

Gudi - surprised. But maybe it was a mutual parting of ways. He’s been clear I think about not liking the LB role

Rocha - tough business. Again, he’s earned the ability to go play somewhere and I think he can contribute somewhere.

JPT - it is what it is

Yea I hope rocha gets picked up somewhere and gets a starting spot. Guy deserves it. Good guy on and off the field and definitely works hard when played in the right position.

Re: Mitri

He's on loan so he's not taking up any roster spots, not a DP spot, and i'm not sure if we are paying any of his salary (hope not). Guess he's just technically "on the books" so they have to report it.

How many guys can we protect in the expansion draft ?

edit : found it. It’s 12 players.

The list of eligible players was supposed to be made available me by 2 PM today

Reactions: Higgs1