2022 Roster Discussion

I would be ok letting Heber and Talles Magno try and win the 9 spot the first two months while holding off on a DP. I think we need a 9 more than a Winger even with the departures of Isi and Medina and even considering you get nothing from Jasson.

Not sure on timing, but the three biggest roster holes I foresee are:

1) Left footed wing with pace.
2) A 10 that can contribute now but will slot in to the regular starting eleven after Maxi retires.
3) A young CB that can learn and replace Chanot when he becomes a coach.

Of those spots, the wing seems the best use of a DP slot, followed by the 10. I would love to see a lefty with pace that can bookend Thiago - Leroy Sane type (an MLS level appropriate Sane).

For the 10, we really need to find someone that can take free kicks. As others have noted, with Gudi leaving and Maxi nearing the end, the options from free kicks - shoot or pass - are dwindling quickly.

Do we know what formation Ronnie wants to play? I know it sounds crazy to mess with anything after we just won the cup but a lot of how we played last season was set up to match a roster Ronnie largely inherited. Does Ronnie want a left-footed cut inside RW or did we play that way last season because our two RWs were Medina and ITS? Did we play with one striker because we wanted to or because we only had one healthy striker? I'm interested to see if any of the players that come in are not like-for-like replacements as Ronnie continues to shape the roster to play in his ideal style.

So um. Maxi just posted something on instagram. I did the basic translation but not sure if it's right or not. It looks like it's aimed at Medina, but please, spanish speakers, correct me if I'm wrong.

It's either Maxi saying goodbye to the club, or Maxi saying goodbye to Medina.

Bueno llego la hora de la despedida animalitos, fue hermoso pasar tantos años juntos, poder disfrutar de tantos momentos y mejor aún terminarlo de la mejor manera haciendo historia ⭐️ les deseamos lo mejor en todo y que esta amistad no se corte.
Muchos éxitos amigos ustedes se merecen todo lo bueno y así va hacer
Los vamos a extrañar gracias por tanto CAMPEONES @jesusmediiina8 @natashasoley

Reactions: Kjbert
Sooo… this is slightly worrying.

Fully believe and trust the process but damn would it suck to lose Taty and Sands. I guess signing Cacha to a long deal was a sign that Sands is out.

Yea it would. Hopefully, if they both go, we can keep them until at least the summer so we can make a run at CCL with them in the squad.

We knew it was coming. We just have to trust our depth and hopefully get some good, new signings.

Fully believe and trust the process but damn would it suck to lose Taty and Sands. I guess signing Cacha to a long deal was a sign that Sands is out.
I mean, we knew about Sands sale/loan already when he signed the new deal. Taty we were all hoping would stay until summer, but it looks like the offers are starting to pile in, so I doubt that happens. I guess he's played his final game for us...

Yea it would. Hopefully, if they both go, we can keep them until at least the summer so we can make a run at CCL with them in the squad.

We knew it was coming. We just have to trust our depth and hopefully get some good, new signings.

If Sands and Taty have promising offers to go to Europe, you absolutely do it. Having a track record of developing players to move to Europe is huge for the profile of this club.

If Sands and Taty have promising offers to go to Europe, you absolutely do it. Having a track record of developing players to move to Europe is huge for the profile of this club.

For sure. They should go. They are young and can have immense careers ahead of them if they land at a good club that will help develop them and play them. Plus, if sands gets actual playing time at a top league in europe his USMNT stock goes way up as well. Would also be amazing to see Taty get called up to the senior argentina team.

It's all part of the process. Unfortunately, we aren't top dogs in the world so this is the best we can hope for.

Reactions: Kjbert and canchon

We will continue to get extremely talented players if we prove we are (a) willing and (b) able to sell players on to Europe. The path for this team continuing to be successful is to sell Taty and Sands without forcing them to stay.

When we held on to and re-signed Taty this year, im sure moving him to Europe was very strongly verbally agreed to.

exactly. palmeiras is a big south american club, but in today's soccer world, success is measured by going to europe. you don't leave south america to go to MLS to go back to south america, even if it is to a big name club.

i wonder if MLS will be the measure of success for a professional soccer player in my lifetime. that would be pretty cool.

Reactions: Kjbert
Based on nothing more than my reading of Lee’s tone and vague hints, I would say that Taty remains at most until summer and could likely go this winter. But Sands sounds less imminent. He could go preseason but I don’t expect it, and won’t be shocked if he lasts one more season.

For Taty, I'd like to hold onto until the summer but his value is likely highest right now.

For Sands, if he can make the World Cup roster that would be a huge boom to his value.
Exactly. Taty, if he is worth $15m (total speculation) has limited upside and wont go up much staying in MLS. He needs to crack into the Argentine senior side to have any meaningful increase in value, and he won't likely get called up from MLS. The only chance of us selling him for more would be to loan him to MC, hope he gets goals and then called up to Argentina and makes the WC roster. That is a long shot.

Sands is probably worth $3-5m right now. That can grow over the next year, especially if he plays in Qatar. Unless he wants to go right now, his transfer value probably is not high enough to make it worth selling him.

I think Taty can go now, but Jimmy should stay or pick his destination carefully. I think I’m in the minority here, but I thought he was a different/less effective player after his summer with the national team. I’d like to see him dominate a little here (or away from the Big 5) before going to a rough league.

I think Taty can go now, but Jimmy should stay or pick his destination carefully. I think I’m in the minority here, but I thought he was a different/less effective player after his summer with the national team. I’d like to see him dominate a little here (or away from the Big 5) before going to a rough league.
I think we all noticed. He actually dropped off a bit as the GC progressed, but he certainly was a bit weaker after that window. My assumption was either the spotlight wore on him a bit, or all of the games tested his fitness.

Reactions: KevinJRogers