2022 Roster Discussion

What’s the deal again with transfers and allocation money coming back to NYCFC if Taty, for example, is sold?

When Jack was sold I though it was like we got half of the fee in xAM, but that’s not right.

Transfer and Loan Fees

The revenue share from transfers or loans for clubs is as follows:

• A club shall receive 95% of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue from any transaction involving a player that is NOT a Homegrown Player or a U22 Initiative Slot Player.
  • If a Designated Player is transferred or loaned, the club will receive all amounts of the transfer or loan fee revenue until it has recouped all out-of-pocket cash payments made by the club in connection to that player prior to any sharing arrangement with the League. After such recoup, the club’s share of the revenue may be used to fund a club’s discretionary spend (e.g. player development costs, TAM Players, Designated Players, U22 Initiative Slot Player) or may be taken as cash and may not be taken as allocation.
  • A club shall receive 100% of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue from any transaction involving a Homegrown Player or a U22 Initiative Slot Player.

Usage of Revenue

The club's share of transfer or loan fee revenue may only be used as follows:

• The club may assign up to $1,050,000 of the transfer/loan revenue as General Allocation Money. In the case of Designated Players, transfer/loan revenue may not be assigned as General Allocation Money. In the case of U22 Initiative Slot players, please refer to the section on U22 Initiative Roster Slots.
  • The remaining balance of the club's share (if any), and which cannot be traded, will be distributed by the League to the Club as cash.
From: https://www.mlssoccer.com/about/roster-rules-and-regulations

Also in perusing that page, wasn't Chanot coaching an academy team this season? This is also from there:

PLAYER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ROLE

A Club may choose to designate, with prior League approval, to employ one Player per year in a professional development role.

The following parameters apply:

The Player’s professional development role must be approved prior to the Roster Compliance Date and last through the full season.

The Player must have responsibilities enabling him to develop skills in different parts of the Club’s business, including but not limited to coaching, scouting, front office duties, diversity liaison.

If the Player’s professional development role will include coaching responsibilities:

• He must only have coaching responsibilities with respect to the MLS club’s affiliate and/or academy (i.e., cannot have coaching responsibilities with respect to the first team); and
  • He may not be on Loan to the MLS Club’s affiliate during the League Year in which he is serving in the professional development role, if the Player Coach has coaching responsibilities with respect to such Affiliate.
  • The Player must turn or be older than 25 years old during the League Year in which he is employed in the professional development role.
  • The Player may not be Loaned out for an extended period.

The MLS Club must designate a mentor within the MLS Club who will guide and monitor the Player’s development plan and process. The League may request detailed progress reports from the mentor throughout the course of the MLS Season. Failure to provide sufficient progress reports upon request by the League may result in the Player losing such professional development role designation and the MLS Club being prevented from designating another professional development role for at least five years.

The proposed compensation for the Player’s professional development duties must be commensurate with salaries for similar roles when taking into account the expected number of hours of such duties, including being commensurate with salaries paid to former League “player-coaches” if the professional development duties are coach-focused. Moreover, for professional development roles entered into after the 2021 MLS Season is over, the League will not approve compensation that is over $75,000.

Required Information:

In order to obtain League approval, which may be granted by the League in its sole and absolute discretion, Clubs must provide the following:

Detailed job description, which must include, at a minimum:

• if the Player will have coaching responsibilities, a requirement that the Player obtain a coaching certification (at least a B license) and detailed plan as to how the Player will obtain such coaching certification and whether the Player will assist with the MLS Club’s affiliate or academy players;
  • Job responsibilities; and
  • Time commitment required.

Proposed compensation for duties and comparisons to salaries for similar roles when taking into account the expected number of hours of non-Player duties.

• The League recognizes that certain positions may be more difficult to find comparable salaries, and the burden is on the Club to use best efforts to make correlations to other roles, leagues, etc. to present to the League.
  • The League will consider proposed compensation in light of former League Player-Coaches.
  • As a Player’s primary responsibility is as a Player, in no event shall a Player’s compensation for his non-Player duties exceed fifty percent (50%) of his Unadjusted Salary Budget Charge for the year.

Transfer and Loan Fees

The revenue share from transfers or loans for clubs is as follows:

• A club shall receive 95% of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue from any transaction involving a player that is NOT a Homegrown Player or a U22 Initiative Slot Player.
  • If a Designated Player is transferred or loaned, the club will receive all amounts of the transfer or loan fee revenue until it has recouped all out-of-pocket cash payments made by the club in connection to that player prior to any sharing arrangement with the League. After such recoup, the club’s share of the revenue may be used to fund a club’s discretionary spend (e.g. player development costs, TAM Players, Designated Players, U22 Initiative Slot Player) or may be taken as cash and may not be taken as allocation.
  • A club shall receive 100% of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue from any transaction involving a Homegrown Player or a U22 Initiative Slot Player.

Usage of Revenue

The club's share of transfer or loan fee revenue may only be used as follows:

• The club may assign up to $1,050,000 of the transfer/loan revenue as General Allocation Money. In the case of Designated Players, transfer/loan revenue may not be assigned as General Allocation Money. In the case of U22 Initiative Slot players, please refer to the section on U22 Initiative Roster Slots.
  • The remaining balance of the club's share (if any), and which cannot be traded, will be distributed by the League to the Club as cash.
From: https://www.mlssoccer.com/about/roster-rules-and-regulations

This is a fairly new version I believe. Must have been a CBA talking point

Reactions: Kjbert
This is a fairly new version I believe. Must have been a CBA talking point
It is different from the rules when we sold Jack Harrison, but I can’t quite remember exactly what the differences are and not in a position currently to go look them up.

But we would have gotten more money if we sold Harrison for the same amount under today’s rules

So we should expect $1.05 million in GAM from both James and Taty.
CFG should pay us a loan fee for both and place them for next season. It doesn’t matter what we take in

Another place where the MLS rules are dumb. Why would CFG transfer any of these guys that they even nominally like out of CFG? Just pay $1.05 million

Another place where the MLS rules are dumb. Why would CFG transfer any of these guys that they even nominally like out of CFG? Just pay $1.05 million
With multiple teams being "feeder" so-to-speak clubs in MLS, I don't know there's anythign that CAN be done. Can CFG pay 1.05 and then funnel extra cash to NYCFC without problem? Same with red bulls.

The league still has to approve of any sale and they do/did have some type of language specifically related to transfers/loans to clubs with shared ownership.

We're still getting the money; we just can't use it for GAM/TAM. It's still in their bottom line. And if we sell Taty for $15 million, we can use that money to invest into high-priced DP's if we can't use it for allocation.

Reactions: ezbeezy214
With multiple teams being "feeder" so-to-speak clubs in MLS, I don't know there's anythign that CAN be done. Can CFG pay 1.05 and then funnel extra cash to NYCFC without problem? Same with red bulls.

Exactly. They need to worry about FFP. Buy Taty for 1.05 Million. Loan him to Team X for $2 Million. He performs - sell him on for $12 Million. They just made a $13 million profit.

Unless MLS introduces FFP, why would CFG let any of these guys go?

We're still getting the money; we just can't use it for GAM/TAM. It's still in their bottom line. And if we sell Taty for $15 million, we can use that money to invest into high-priced DP's if we can't use it for allocation.

"we" is CFG. None of it comes from our pockets.

I think a good move for Sands would be for Ronny to put in a good word for him at Celtic (maybe even go to Rangers) , play a season or 2 in the SPL and get some European experience and then step up to a premier league team

I think a good move for Sands would be for Ronny to put in a good word for him at Celtic (maybe even go to Rangers) , play a season or 2 in the SPL and get some European experience and then step up to a premier league team
Personally, I don't view SPL as much, if any, of a step up from MLS. I also think, due to the amount of time it takes to settle in with a new club, that such a lateral move is actually detrimental to his development, especially right now.
If he is looking to maximize his potential value, his focus should be squarely on making it to Qatar. Celtic doesn't really help that goal, imo. Moving to a higher level league will. If the right situation doesn't come up, he is best to stay with us.

It is different from the rules when we sold Jack Harrison, but I can’t quite remember exactly what the differences are and not in a position currently to go look them up.

But we would have gotten more money if we sold Harrison for the same amount under today’s rules
My recollection is that the funds were divided 2/3 to the team and 1/3 to MLS, and that there was a cap on the amount that could be used as GAM of $750K or thereabouts. There were also adjustments to deduct transfer fees to bring in a player, etc.

Bottom line is that the Club kept a lower percentage of Jack's fee and could use less of it as GAM.

Personally, I don't view SPL as much, if any, of a step up from MLS. I also think, due to the amount of time it takes to settle in with a new club, that such a lateral move is actually detrimental to his development, especially right now.
If he is looking to maximize his potential value, his focus should be squarely on making it to Qatar. Celtic doesn't really help that goal, imo. Moving to a higher level league will. If the right situation doesn't come up, he is best to stay with us.
Wherever he goes, he’s gonna need quality minutes to make the USMNT. He didn’t exactly cover himself in glory in his last caps.

Brazilian Serie A side Palmeiras has made an offer of around $12.5 million for New York City FC striker Valentin "Taty" Castellanos, sources have told ESPN.

The offer was made in the days following the NYCFC's MLS Cup final victory over the Portland Timbers, a match in which Castellanos scored in regulation time as well as in the penalty shootout, but the sources have added that the amount doesn't yet meet the Blues' valuation for the player -- NYCFC are seeking in excess of $15m.

ESPN article on Taty. Written by Jeff Carlisle, so as legit a rumor as can be expected.

That’s a good number. Curious if it’s spread over x years or bonus laden

That’s a good number. Curious if it’s spread over x years or bonus laden
Wasn't the rumor that they won't take less than 15?
I'm curious to see, if this report is accurate, what PL teams will follow up with, if those rumors are true as well.

My recollection is that the funds were divided 2/3 to the team and 1/3 to MLS, and that there was a cap on the amount that could be used as GAM of $750K or thereabouts. There were also adjustments to deduct transfer fees to bring in a player, etc.

Bottom line is that the Club kept a lower percentage of Jack's fee and could use less of it as GAM.

In this setup, it’s much more digestible to accept the bid Taty wants most instead of highest bidder. Probably a decent sign one of the SA clubs offers aren’t really even close to being accepted. Very curious to see who is interested other than West Ham or Torino

ESPN article on Taty. Written by Jeff Carlisle, so as legit a rumor as can be expected.

the bid can be accepted, like last time but can Palmeiras make the first payment? they couldnt last time so the deal fell thru.