2022 Roster Discussion

i dont think he comes to nycfc. if he did the "meeting" would of taken place in manchester.
But he’s meeting with more than one MLS club, so he’s going to be in country anyway. Plus he’s very concerned about playing time so he has to talk to the head coach, who isn’t in Manchester.
Not saying we’re signing him. But him coming to the US doesn’t mean he’s going to another MLS club either and not talking to us.

LAFC makes sense.

We make sense if Taty leaves. Magno goes up top and he slots in on the wing.

DC a wildcard. They were in for Bale

Reactions: JayH
I think you're right. I also think I read that might be in the plans anyway and they have done that sort of two-step before.

And we would need to do something with one of our DPs, no?

Buy Maxi down was theoretically the plan. Martins’ cap charge is just above the DP line.

Not really sure where I would upgrade here. CF of course if Taty goes. CM if Keaton is out for the year. LB is a problem but I can live with Malte.

Galaxy seem to make the most sense. The strategy of young South Americans with sell on value has been working well for us but I have to admit I'd still love to have one bigger name recognizable player on the team anyway.
Agreed. I am all for our strategy and it has worked well. But also agree that when there’s a 29 year old in his prime who will make us better like this, I would love to see us not be so strict with the blue print.

Talles Magno and Thiago Martins are both DPs, and there doesn't appear to be a way to buy them down. We purchased Talles Magno for $8 million and he makes about $1.2 million. We purchased Thiago Martins for $4 million, and he makes just shy of $2 million.

It appears Maxi is just a DP in order to save on TAM. He is making $1.3 million, which is under the TAM limit, so we can buy him down if we get another DP.

That leaves Mitrita. We purchased him for $8.8 million 3.5 years ago, and he makes $1.1 million. His contract runs out at the end of this season, but his loan runs out this month. If we find someplace to loan him or sell him, then he is not a DP, and we have a spot open. If we don't, then we will have him through the end of the season. Is there a way to buy him down in the last year of his contract like we did for Jesus Medina? Perhaps not, as Medina's fee was much lower than Mitrita's and likely low enough that when amortized, it stayed beneath the TAM cutoff.

That leaves Mitrita. We purchased him for $8.8 million 3.5 years ago, and he makes $1.1 million. His contract runs out at the end of this season, but his loan runs out this month. If we find someplace to loan him or sell him, then he is not a DP, and we have a spot open. If we don't, then we will have him through the end of the season. Is there a way to buy him down in the last year of his contract like we did for Jesus Medina? Perhaps not, as Medina's fee was much lower than Mitrita's and likely low enough that when amortized, it stayed beneath the TAM cutoff.
Nobody close to the club seems even slightly concerned about Mitrita. Recently Glenn Crooks said it's close to zero chance he comes back here (or something close to that). I'm hoping that means there is a solution in place that will come into play once his loan ends.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
Nobody close to the club seems even slightly concerned about Mitrita. Recently Glenn Crooks said it's close to zero chance he comes back here (or something close to that). I'm hoping that means there is a solution in place that will come into play once his loan ends.

We haven't used our once-a-season buyout, right? Maybe that's the plan if they can't find a new spot for him.

Reactions: Kjbert and JCMore
I’m curious if they are considering using the same roster mechanism that was used to buy out Mix or if that’s even on the table

Edit: And ZYanksRule ZYanksRule just beat me to the same point lol

Reactions: Kjbert

his contract ends in December IIRC. so selling him should not be too much of an issue this summer. Although CFG will take a loss for sure.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
Do we all have the same expectation that the club buy down Maxi this summer and find another DP? Or am I alone there?