2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Considering him in isolation I agree. Considering how many players we lost from 2022 to 2023 I think it made sense to keep him. Also Sands was still on Rangers through February 2023.
Right, the CDM depth at the beginning of 2022 was not great considering Acevedo left on loan, no Sands or Perea at the moment, Keaton still recovering from his injury, etc.

I love waking up on a Monday and catching up on all the hot transfer rumors I missed over the weekend.
But did you see the Julian Fernandez got married and it's Santiago Rodriguez's birthday today!

But did you see the Julian Fernandez got married and it's Santiago Rodriguez's birthday today!

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: KevinJRogers
the only thing they will announce in next few days is extension of someone already on the team.

the team has so many needs even depth needs and nothing, and doesnt even look domestically which can be frustrating. i know there are people they can get as depth pieces somewhere in MLS

Do Nothing David Lee starting another winter doing nothing
We will know over the next few weeks/months whether or not last season will be the way until the stadium.

the only thing they will announce in next few days is extension of someone already on the team.

the team has so many needs even depth needs and nothing, and doesnt even look domestically which can be frustrating. i know there are people they can get as depth pieces somewhere in MLS
Another striker, 2 backup center backs, and 3 more midfielders (2 if we get Perera back).

Reactions: BC19
We will know over the next few weeks/months whether or not last season will be the way until the stadium.

im not even convinced that will change much once stadium is ready. maybe for a year but maybe thats it.

Lee gave some reasonably forthcoming interviews at the end of 2023 about the roster process that year. He discussed that they tried but found it difficult to get the players they wanted due to the schedule mismatch.
I wish someone had followed up to ask why was it different from every previous year. They never left it to the summer until 2023. The complications of the schedule offset have always existed. What changed?

Reactions: JayH
Lee gave some reasonably forthcoming interviews at the end of 2023 about the roster process that year. He discussed that they tried but found it difficult to get the players they wanted due to the schedule mismatch.
I wish someone had followed up to ask why was it different from every previous year. They never left it to the summer until 2023. The complications of the schedule offset have always existed. What changed?
I think him or Edelman also said they’d like to get players in earlier this offseason. No sign of that yet

I suspect the change was COVID and a reset of the market. Teams weren't sure as to what pricing would be after the pandemic, and CFG as an entity was likely the primary target for teams seeking to push transfer prices back to pre-pandemic levels.

If the team continues to be slow in the pre-season window, I'll believe that is the plan until the stadium opens. If they do sign players, I'll be willing to accept that 2023 was a pandemic blip.

I also wish the follow-up included why other teams in the MLS seem to be able to navigate player acquisition just fine and in a considerably more timely manner than our front office.

I also wish the follow-up included why other teams in the MLS seem to be able to navigate player acquisition just fine and in a considerably more timely manner than our front office.
I don't think this is fair. You look at MLS news and it always looks like we are slow because you are comparing against the team(s) that acted fastest in that particular window. (Although remember when Medina was the first player in all of world soccer signed in 2018?) But if you go back and look at every team individually you will almost certainly see that they each have faster and slower years out of the gate. Just like us.

Personally, I don't really care that much if we sign anyone this week. I want quality over speed of signing. Based on all previous years, not just 2023, I'll judge around Feb 20.

At the fan event last month, Cushing and Sims talked about the calendar issues. They said it makes it hard to recruit what's needed for the start of the season. They then talked about the sheer scope of the roster turnover from 2022 into 2023, and said it just was not possible to cover all their needs in the winter transfer window.

I don't think this is fair. You look at MLS news and it always looks like we are slow because you are comparing against the team(s) that acted fastest in that particular window. (Although remember when Medina was the first player in all of world soccer signed in 2018?) But if you go back and look at every team individually you will almost certainly see that they each have faster and slower years out of the gate. Just like us.

Personally, I don't really care that much if we sign anyone this week. I want quality over speed of signing. Based on all previous years, not just 2023, I'll judge around Feb 20.
When the signings come late in the offseason it can task our patience, but substantively I think it has no correlation, positive or negative, with how good the team is. NYCFC was good to great for 7 years with both early and late winter signings, and the best regular season was also the one with the most famously late signing that drove the coach to distraction (2019, Heber and Torrent).

When the signings come late in the offseason it can task our patience, but substantively I think it has no correlation, positive or negative, with how good the team is. NYCFC was good to great for 7 years with both early and late winter signings, and the best regular season was also the one with the most famously late signing that drove the coach to distraction (2019, Heber and To
When the signings come late in the offseason it can task our patience, but substantively I think it has no correlation, positive or negative, with how good the team is. NYCFC was good to great for 7 years with both early and late winter signings, and the best regular season was also the one with the most famously late signing that drove the coach to distraction (2019, Heber and Torrent).
i think for me it isn’t the when of signings that tasks my patience. More the annual radio silence that goes from contract option day to the middle of January