2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

When the signings come late in the offseason it can task our patience, but substantively I think it has no correlation, positive or negative, with how good the team is. NYCFC was good to great for 7 years with both early and late winter signings, and the best regular season was also the one with the most famously late signing that drove the coach to distraction (2019, Heber and Torrent).

Last year we had six signings made before the season began, and another three before the end of March. Two signings in December. (Alfaro and Pellegrini). Ilenic came aboard Jan. 4, Cufre was finished Feb. 3. That was the last signing before the season started, though Sands, Santi, and Ledezma came in March.

In 2022 we got off to a late start after winning MLS Cup, and the first major signing was Thiago Martins on Feb. 7. The previous year we didn't make a major signing until February, either.

This is absolutely nothing abnormal for NYCFC. Feels like we're all just bored and want news, but this is pretty normal.

Last year we had six signings made before the season began, and another three before the end of March. Two signings in December. (Alfaro and Pellegrini). Ilenic came aboard Jan. 4, Cufre was finished Feb. 3. That was the last signing before the season started, though Sands, Santi, and Ledezma came in March.

In 2022 we got off to a late start after winning MLS Cup, and the first major signing was Thiago Martins on Feb. 7. The previous year we didn't make a major signing until February, either.

This is absolutely nothing abnormal for NYCFC. Feels like we're all just bored and want news, but this is pretty normal.
The signings they’ve made in that period were largely subpar so I’m that adds to people’s impatience to maybe employ a different more aggressive strategy.

Reactions: ALBNYfan and JCMore
I don't think this is fair. You look at MLS news and it always looks like we are slow because you are comparing against the team(s) that acted fastest in that particular window. (Although remember when Medina was the first player in all of world soccer signed in 2018?) But if you go back and look at every team individually you will almost certainly see that they each have faster and slower years out of the gate. Just like us.

Personally, I don't really care that much if we sign anyone this week. I want quality over speed of signing. Based on all previous years, not just 2023, I'll judge around Feb 20.

My main criticism is the timing of signings in 2023 when we went over half a season with a very incomplete roster and missed the playoffs because of it. I think it's fair to question Lee's excuse that it was hard to find players because I think that was mostly due to the constraints NYCFC puts on their player search. The rest of the league is searching for players to help their team. NYCFC is filtering their search to players 24 and under, mostly from SA or Europe. So I think it's BS when Lee whines about how it was hard, they made it hard based on the constraints they put on themselves because every singing has to be another dice roll for the CFG prospect farm system.

Seeing some Twitter rumors about Carlos Vela.

I think that would be a really good signing. 9 goals and 12 assists last year as the second man behind Bouanga. Make him the target man and I think he's still good for 15-20 goals in this league. We could do a lot worse for that position on the roster.

Seeing some Twitter rumors about Carlos Vela.

I think that would be a really good signing. 9 goals and 12 assists last year as the second man behind Bouanga. Make him the target man and I think he's still good for 15-20 goals in this league. We could do a lot worse for that position on the roster.

Rumors that Vela's available or rumors linking him to the NYCFC? I agree he's still good, it would be nice to have a guy with Vela's skill and experience on the pitch.

Rumors that Vela's available or rumors linking him to the NYCFC? I agree he's still good, it would be nice to have a guy with Vela's skill and experience on the pitch.

Rumors linking him to NYCFC.

Our friend the little child person had something a few days ago, and now some international reporters are linking us as being close to signing him.

From the Twitter translation:

"Neither Chivas nor Europe! Does Carlos Vela stay in #MLS ? Carlos Vela would be very close to signing with New York City FC . According to information from @FerCevallosF, it would be in the details of this coming to fruition.#NYCFC"

Rumors linking him to NYCFC.

Our friend the little child person had something a few days ago, and now some international reporters are linking us as being close to signing him.

From the Twitter translation:

"Neither Chivas nor Europe! Does Carlos Vela stay in #MLS ? Carlos Vela would be very close to signing with New York City FC . According to information from @FerCevallosF, it would be in the details of this coming to fruition.#NYCFC"

So the dude reporting now is from fox deportes. He is like 50/50 with his stuff so we’ll have to wait and see

Reactions: gbservis
So the dude reporting now is from fox deportes. He is like 50/50 with his stuff so we’ll have to wait and see

No idea what to believe, but finding a veteran with proven success in MLS would be a move that, I think, would really improve us. If we can get Maxi back from his ACL injury and have Vela playing with Maxi and Julian Fernandez, that should give us a damn good attack. I also really want to see what it looks like to have Talles playing with a target man like Vela. Almost all of Talles's success here came with Taty. If we pair him with Vela, does that unlock Talles?

No idea what to believe, but finding a veteran with proven success in MLS would be a move that, I think, would really improve us. If we can get Maxi back from his ACL injury and have Vela playing with Maxi and Julian Fernandez, that should give us a damn good attack. I also really want to see what it looks like to have Talles playing with a target man like Vela. Almost all of Talles's success here came with Taty. If we pair him with Vela, does that unlock Talles?
I think you just put 1 too many into the starting XI.

freese
ilenic - martins - risa - cufre
sands - parks
santi
fernandez - vela? - magno

Vela displaces Bakrar. If Maxi comes back, who is the odd man out? And if Vela is in there and Cufre is upgraged, are there any more starters that need upgrades? Or are we happy with those two upgrades plus more depth?

If Maxi comes back, who is the odd man out?

I don't think there will be an odd man out. If Maxi comes back, it'd probably be reasonable to expect his return to be in the late summer when our schedule is very congested (outside of the international breaks). Maxi certainly won't be playing 2 games/week so rotations will be needed and everyone will get their minutes.

freese
sands - parks
santi

Vela displaces Bakrar. If Maxi comes back, who is the odd man out? And if Vela is in there and Cufre is upgraged, are there any more starters that need upgrades? Or are we happy with those two upgrades plus more depth?
Cufre is gone, I think LB is probably O'Toole's position to lose

Reactions: FootyLovin
I really wish our front office was open to more balance between young international projects and more experienced MLS talent. The latter is helpful in various ways including the comfort and experience playing in the league and it also solves the timing issues our front office always blame for lack of moves.

To put things in perspective, 26 teams in MLS have signed new players to their organization either through transfers, trades, signing uncommitted players, or through the re-entry draft.

NYCFC is one of the teams that has not.

(this is all based on wikipedia, so numbers will be close, but may not be perfect...)

freese
sands - parks
santi

I think if Maxi comes back, Santi moves to the wing and Talles becomes an option off the bench. Plus as someone else said, there will be rotations when we're playing a lot of games. Talles, Santi, and Maxi would all get their minutes.

We still need to improve the bench. We don't really have a lot of good attacking options off the bench. Need to either bring back Perea or find someone else for that spot. Need a backup CB and some more depth at fullback since Cufre is gone.

I think if Maxi comes back, Santi moves to the wing and Talles becomes an option off the bench. Plus as someone else said, there will be rotations when we're playing a lot of games. Talles, Santi, and Maxi would all get their minutes.

We still need to improve the bench. We don't really have a lot of good attacking options off the bench. Need to either bring back Perea or find someone else for that spot. Need a backup CB and some more depth at fullback since Cufre is gone.

I agree rotation is the answer. Maxi isn't going to be back by the start of the season and even when/if he is back this season it will take time to gain fitness and he likely can't play every game post-injury at his age. Vela is older and would need rotation, he also played RW a bunch with LAFC so he could be in the ST and wing rotation. Attacking "starting" rotation if we signed Vela would be:

CAM: Maxi, Santi
St: Vela, Bakrar
RW: Fernandez, Vela
LW: Magno, Santi

That's 6 players once Maxi is back, given the age of Vela and Maxi that's probably about the level of rotation we would need.

Also, agree we need bring back Perera maybe even as a possible starter. Sands and Parks are great but we had a bunch of games this season where Perera outplayed both of them. I'd like to see Perera back not only for rotation but to add some competition to the midfield and give Cushing different options to start based on matchups.

Reactions: BC19
I really wish our front office was open to more balance between young international projects and more experienced MLS talent. The latter is helpful in various ways including the comfort and experience playing in the league and it also solves the timing issues our front office always blame for lack of moves.

I don't understand the reluctance to fill roster gaps with MLS vets, especially looking back at last year. If you know you aren't going to be able to add a young striker until the summer window why not find a proven MLS vet and give them a one-year deal just as a stop-gap? Kei Kamara for example made 27 appearances and scored 5 goals for Chicago last year on a one-year deal, the year before he had 9 goals and 7 assists also on a one-year deal. He was 38 at the start of last season and way past his prime but those 5 goals on NYCFC's roster last year along with the ability to move Magno back to the wing sooner likely gets us in the playoffs.

Also, agree we need bring back Perera maybe even as a possible starter. Sands and Parks are great but we had a bunch of games this season where Perera outplayed both of them. I'd like to see Perera back not only for rotation but to add some competition to the midfield and give Cushing different options to start based on matchups.
Sands and Parks also both regressed last year and shouldn't necessarily be handed starting jobs. It makes Acevedo's injury extra painful (especially when Keaton was getting Turkey rumors)

Reactions: gbservis
Sands and Parks also both regressed last year and shouldn't necessarily be handed starting jobs. It makes Acevedo's injury extra painful (especially when Keaton was getting Turkey rumors)

Sands regressed. I wouldn't say Parks did. He was playing very well and at some point, I think he was just tired. He was one of a few who played nearly every game, every minute. Did we resign him?

I don't understand the reluctance to fill roster gaps with MLS vets, especially looking back at last year. If you know you aren't going to be able to add a young striker until the summer window why not find a proven MLS vet and give them a one-year deal just as a stop-gap? Kei Kamara for example made 27 appearances and scored 5 goals for Chicago last year on a one-year deal, the year before he had 9 goals and 7 assists also on a one-year deal. He was 38 at the start of last season and way past his prime but those 5 goals on NYCFC's roster last year along with the ability to move Magno back to the wing sooner likely gets us in the playoffs.
Absolutely. We should have had no dead spots especially one as obvious and critical as a 9. If we had signed a solid MLS striker (maybe like a Christian Ramirez, Kei, etc. math permitting) our entire formation works better and we would have been points better.

Sands regressed. I wouldn't say Parks did. He was playing very well and at some point, I think he was just tired. He was one of a few who played nearly every game, every minute. Did we resign him?
I don't think he regressed as much as Sands did, but he's still down from peak. Whether or not that's due to the team struggling as a whole...

Parks is under contract for the coming year at least (New York City Football Club Announces Roster Moves for 2024 | New York City FC). I thought an extension was announced recently but can't find it.

Reactions: moogoo