2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

bit unfair to say underperforming dp when he doesn't even get playing time. he was a victim of unfortunate circumstances. a coach who wasn't super high on him and being forced into a position because the club didn't sign a proper #9. t

i really wanted to see more of him and the last few times he's been on the field, he has played well. has he made a significant impact? i'm not sure i would say that, but he's been active and dangerous and one of the few people who actually take on players 1v1 on the wing and has decent success at it. who do we have now who will consistently take defenders on 1v1 on the wing? i honestly can't think of anybody. just means we'll have that much worse of a time breaking down a low block.

it is what it is. let's see if the club can do something with a free dp spot.

He got lots of playing time. He burst onto the scene in 2022, playing 2,600 minutes with 10+ goals and assists.

Last year, he was miscast, but he also didn't perform well enough. He had only 4 goals and 3 assists in over 1,900 minutes. Sure, this year he wasn't given a shot. But based on what he did last year, he didn't earn playing time. He was passed on the depth chart by multiple players and couldn't fight his way back into the squad.

We expected much more from him after what he did in 2021 and 2022. His fault, Cushing's fault -- he ended up as an underperforming DP and we can do much better with that roster spot.

Reading the Talles discussion and then Kevin Nelson's strong piece on Wolf in the Outfield in quick succession can get you into compare and contrast mode, with Wolf coming as a reclamation project and Talles leaving as one.
Wolf probably had a harder time before NYCFC than Talles has had at NYCFC. He dealt with more coaching and team instability. Both had to deal with playing out of their preferred position. Both had long underperforming spells combined with a lack of playing time that would allow them to climb back up, but presumably factors besides game performance were a factor (style of play, effort in training, positional logjams, etc).

Last edited:
I really don't like the lie Cushing told the other night when he was asked about Talles. He said Talles was left behind because of an injury.

I understand why he can't confirm what's actually happening, and I don't expect him to confirm it until it's official. But he should never lie to the media the way he did on Monday night. That's highly unprofessional of him. I don't know what he should have said, but lying about a nonexistent injury is unprofessional.

I really don't like the lie Cushing told the other night when he was asked about Talles. He said Talles was left behind because of an injury.

I understand why he can't confirm what's actually happening, and I don't expect him to confirm it until it's official. But he should never lie to the media the way he did on Monday night. That's highly unprofessional of him. I don't know what he should have said, but lying about a nonexistent injury is unprofessional.
The club was enmeshed in lies the day they announced Frank Lampard signed a contract with NYCFC and would be loaned to Man City when in fact he was under direct contract with Man City.
Patrick Vieira took a trip to Nice in the middle of our season, took a job with Nice a week or two later, and in between denied it was a job interview.
I don't like it either but it's SOP.

Reactions: gbservis
The club was enmeshed in lies the day they announced Frank Lampard signed a contract with NYCFC and would be loaned to Man City when in fact he was under direct contract with Man City.
Patrick Vieira took a trip to Nice in the middle of our season, took a job with Nice a week or two later, and in between denied it was a job interview.
I don't like it either but it's SOP.

Truth. It's a terrible habit they need to break out of.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Interesting piece of news on Talles from the team release.

The loan is through June 30, 2025, and can be extended to December 31, 2015.

But Talles has also extended his MLS contract through 2027. Theoretically, he could return to us for the 2026 and 2027 seasons.

This also gives us leverage if we want to sell him after the loan expires, which is probably the reasoning behind it. .

Interesting piece of news on Talles from the team release.

The loan is through June 30, 2025, and can be extended to December 31, 2015.

But Talles has also extended his MLS contract through 2027. Theoretically, he could return to us for the 2026 and 2027 seasons.

This also gives us leverage if we want to sell him after the loan expires, which is probably the reasoning behind it. .
I am not familiar enough with salary cap rules - and I doubt I ever will be - but is it possible the extension was also a means to shift any DP status off of Magno? In the NFL, contracts are often extended (void years) to lower a cap hit in any given season. Would this potentially apply to MLS?

In any case, I wish him well. He helped win a championship and deserves a place where he can play regularly, be it Brazil or NYC post- Cushing.

Reactions: Joe_Cos and moogoo
I am not familiar enough with salary cap rules - and I doubt I ever will be - but is it possible the extension was also a means to shift any DP status off of Magno? In the NFL, contracts are often extended (void years) to lower a cap hit in any given season. Would this potentially apply to MLS?

In any case, I wish him well. He helped win a championship and deserves a place where he can play regularly, be it Brazil or NYC post- Cushing.
Likewise, rules confuse me. But wouldn't it also be likely that by 2026 it should also be relatively easy to buy his contract down from DP level?

Likewise, rules confuse me. But wouldn't it also be likely that by 2026 it should also be relatively easy to buy his contract down from DP level?

The rules confuse me as well but as I understand it we have had several opportunities in the club's history where we could have bought down a DP for a reasonable amount of GAM/TAM and we have never done it. There is a first time for everything but until the club demonstrates that buying a player down from their DP status is a mechanism they find worth using it's pointless that we do this can X DP be bought down dance every few months?

Going further I'm not sure the club even values DP spots based on how we have used them recently. They spent big on Magno as a young DP but more often than not, post Villa/Lampard/Pirlo we have used our DP spots on players just barely above the DP $ threshold (Santi, Martins, Medina). Things may change with the new stadium but for now, their actions indicate that they view U22 spots as the place they plan to spend and much more valuable than DP spots.

we have had several opportunities in the club's history where we could have bought down a DP for a reasonable amount of GAM/TAM and we have never done it.
Fair enough. Though I thought someone claiming inside info suggested they had planned to buy down a DP contract this year and there was some rule change that had eliminated the possibility for this season. Or maybe that was a dream. I don't know.

Talles' DP status had always been due to his purchase price and not his salary.

Now, perhaps his salary has increased with the new contract, but absent that, he no longer has to be a DP once his acquisition costs have amortized. That was either the end of last year or the end of this year. Remember too that he was a young DP, which allowed us to have 3 DPs and extra U-22 slots under the new rules. Not clear that we would use a 3rd DP slot right now anyway.

Of course you have to take it with an ocean of salt, but supposedly Charlotte is going all out for Miguel Almirón.

Rebuilding on the fly like every successful and ambitious MLS team does. There is no other major professional league in the US where a team can go from out of the playoffs to competing for the MLS Cup the next season with a few savvy roster moves. For some reason, CFG missed the memo and they are acting like we need to go on a needless 5 year rebuild that hinges on developing 18-year-old high-risk prospects.

Rebuilding on the fly like every successful and ambitious MLS team does. There is no other major professional league in the US where a team can go from out of the playoffs to competing for the MLS Cup the next season with a few savvy roster moves. For some reason, CFG missed the memo and they are acting like we need to go on a needless 5 year rebuild that hinges on developing 18-year-old high-risk prospects.

ambitious yes. "rebuild" is not a word id use for Charlotte. They were never really up there to begin with. good but not a top east team. with these moves if they happen then will be in conversation.