2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

We got $2M (up to $7M with incentives + sell on-clause) for Joe Scally.

Hoping we get at least $4M initially for McFarlane. But since it's a City to City transfer, who knows.

MLS clubs now can assign a maximum of $3M as GAM per season, so this sale would probably fill up our 2024 allowable GAM bank. Unless we're bringing in a player now, we'd likely assign it to the 2025 season or beyond to hopefully buy down a player from DP status.

We got $2M (up to $7M with incentives + sell on-clause) for Joe Scally.

Hoping we get at least $4M initially for McFarlane. But since it's a City to City transfer, who knows.

MLS clubs now can assign a maximum of $3M as GAM per season, so this sale would probably fill up our 2024 allowable GAM bank. Unless we're bringing in a player now, we'd likely assign it to the 2025 season or beyond to hopefully buy down a player from DP status.

if he doesn't go until the end of the season, we won't get that money until he's gone, right?

and once he's gone, we'll need to find another left back since that position has zero depth otherwise.

doesn't seem like we'll be doing any business this transfer window since our roster is already full. though jasson did leave, so maybe we have 1 spot we can fill?

Reactions: mgarbowski
if he doesn't go until the end of the season, we won't get that money until he's gone, right?

and once he's gone, we'll need to find another left back since that position has zero depth otherwise.

doesn't seem like we'll be doing any business this transfer window since our roster is already full. though jasson did leave, so maybe we have 1 spot we can fill?
Couldn't they theoretically structure it as an immediate sale w loan-back until he's ready? Idk if that's allowed for the "transfers before 18" rule.

I don't know if this is horse poop or not, but I thought I'd share anyway:

Letting Talles leave and opening up a DP spot could be very beneficial for our roster.

Or it won't be because we make the wrong signing again. But hey, we should all have hope.

Letting Talles leave and opening up a DP spot could be very beneficial for our roster.

Or it won't be because we make the wrong signing again. But hey, we should all have hope.
I want either a Talles who plays or a replacement who plays but no more DPs languishing on the bench.

Odds are we're going to go young again. Just because that seems to be our recent MO. But I'm hoping we can split the difference and find a difference maker.
I wonder if it is too early for them to be thinking about the stadium opening as they sign people. Will they want a more recognizable cast of characters in April of 2027 than they have now? Any DP they sign to a 3 year deal will be there for the ribbon cutting. I’m not saying back to the strategy of 2015, but do they do anything different in the lead up to 2027?

Answering my own question, I’d guess not with any replacements signed this year. But summer of 25 or 26, I might think otherwise.

Odds are we're going to go young again. Just because that seems to be our recent MO. But I'm hoping we can split the difference and find a difference maker.

I agree they will go young but hopefully not quite as young and unproven as our current batch of 18 years olds. Early 20s with enough experience to contribute from day one needs to be a requirement.

I'd really love an older name-recognition-level player. I know lots of fans are against the retirement league-type players but getting to watch players like that is fun and to me using one DP slot that way is worth it. Guys like Reus, Giroud, Benteke, Suraez, Insinge, Villa, Pirlo, Zlatan, etc. bring excitement to matches that makes the league more entertaining to watch.

I agree they will go young but hopefully not quite as young and unproven as our current batch of 18 years olds. Early 20s with enough experience to contribute from day one needs to be a requirement.

I'd really love an older name-recognition-level player. I know lots of fans are against the retirement league-type players but getting to watch players like that is fun and to me using one DP slot that way is worth it. Guys like Reus, Giroud, Benteke, Suraez, Insinge, Villa, Pirlo, Zlatan, etc. bring excitement to matches that makes the league more entertaining to watch.
Agreed. We have enough development on our books already. We should be looking for plug and play. Someone in the Riqui Puig profile would be nice: early 20s, big club prospect, ready to go from Day One.

I haven't really scouted anyone (I've been busy on the health front), but I'm sure David and CFG have.

Reactions: Gene and moogoo
What splash signing could come in the summer 2026 window or the winter 2027 window?

This is probably the best-case scenario for NYCFC. We drop an underperforming DP with a chance to sign a new one, and we can do it in this window if we choose.

For Talles, what a massive disappointment. He wanted to be in Europe by now, instead he has to go back to Brazil. Hoping for his sake that he can figure it out and achieve his dreams.

Reactions: Gene
This is probably the best-case scenario for NYCFC. We drop an underperforming DP with a chance to sign a new one, and we can do it in this window if we choose.

For Talles, what a massive disappointment. He wanted to be in Europe by now, instead he has to go back to Brazil. Hoping for his sake that he can figure it out and achieve his dreams.

bit unfair to say underperforming dp when he doesn't even get playing time. he was a victim of unfortunate circumstances. a coach who wasn't super high on him and being forced into a position because the club didn't sign a proper #9. t

i really wanted to see more of him and the last few times he's been on the field, he has played well. has he made a significant impact? i'm not sure i would say that, but he's been active and dangerous and one of the few people who actually take on players 1v1 on the wing and has decent success at it. who do we have now who will consistently take defenders on 1v1 on the wing? i honestly can't think of anybody. just means we'll have that much worse of a time breaking down a low block.

it is what it is. let's see if the club can do something with a free dp spot.

Reactions: gbservis